This is stricly for GPSr lugging geocaching fanatics, of which there are a few on this BBS.

I recently upgraded my ancient Sony first-generation CDMA/AMPS telephone to a slightly newer AudioVox-8300, which has WAP capability (for "surfing the wireless web"). So.. first thing I've done, is code a CGI script on my webserver to allow me to do cache page lookups from the field.

You see, when I travel, I usually load my GPSr with waypoints for most caches in the area I plan to visit (I have another script to do that for me), but I don't always have the cache descriptions with me. Many caches which are marked as "traditiional" (simple walk ins) are actually more complex than that, and may be difficult or impossible to visit without the detailed cache instructions..

So now, in theory, I can lookup such cache pages using just my mobile telephone. And so can you!

http://rtr.ca/GCxxxx -- just replace the GCxxxx part with the geocaching.com waypoint label for the cache in question -- upper/lowercase don't matter.

Let me know if it crashes your phone, or otherwise does something weird. One thing I know about, is that it reformats the cache page (text only, btw.) to fit within a single "page" (or "deck") sent to your phone in one burst. To do this, it first tries to find out how large of a buffer your phone reports to it. It does NOT currently implement paging to break up a very large page into multiple smaller ones of acceptable size. I may add that in the future.

And now, someone will point out at least two other sites that already have this, right?

Cheers

Edited by mlord (05/11/2003 22:06)