Ok, so I'm trying to make a couple of DVDs out of recorded TV content for a couple of friends that have missed episodes of a show. I'd just give them the recorded files but they don't have a PVR or media player. So DVD it is.

I've tried using Toast in Mac OS and it produced absolutely terrible looking results. The video was much worse than the original recorded XVID/AVI.

Next up was using ffmpeg to transcode to a vob and create the correct Video_TS structure. The resulting video plays back fine in MPlayer and VLC, but on a real DVD player or even Apple DVD Player, the video and Audio are not in sync.

I believe the problem is that the DVD player thinks the video is 25 minutes long instead of 50 and is skipping some frames. You can see some jerkiness while the audio plays back properly and I think the synch just gets progressively worse.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong at this point since I'm selecting the options I think I should be in the ffmpegX UI - which I've also verified by searching Google.

Basically dragging in the AVI, then setting either "DVD ffmpeg" or "DVD mpeg2enc" preset. Checked that options to create DVD_TS output are set and then let it go.

Anyone have any experience with this and able to point me to a solution? I should probably also start a thread about a decent WiFi video streaming device I might be able to recommend to these friends so that in the future I can skip making them a DVD.