This is a cautionary tale for Android users. I don't know if my experience is universally applicable, but take it for what you will (if you want to save time, skip to my conclusion in the paragraph that starts with "Here's"):

I bought the Nexus 5X before the web store even went live. I found some unlinked page on the Google Store and pre-ordered it the second it was available. That's how excited I was. The Nexus 5 had always been my favorite of the Nexus/official Google phones (I've had many), and I was thrilled by the idea of having the same basic phone, but faster, a better screen, a fingerprint reader, and (most importantly) a camera that didn't suck horribly.

Everything was good at first, but at some point (I can't quite remember when) problems started. At first it was minor things, the phone getting a little draggy, some weird behavior. But then everything went south. It got to the point where sometimes my phone would freeze completely. I'd be at the home screen and tapping the app switcher button would start a 60 second wait for it to come up. Then the camera started flaking. I'd launch it, but it would take 20-40 seconds to initialize and let me take a picture. That's a disaster for the parent of a toddler. I can't tell you how many adorable photos I've missed (at least I have the memories). And that's when the camera would open at all! It got to the point where I'd open the camera, and 50% of the time I'd get an error message and the app would close, requiring me to open it again.

Then at some point a couple weeks ago the whole thing came to a climax. I woke up one day and while the phone appeared normal at first, something was very wrong. I couldn't get my quick settings shade to open. I couldn't load the camera at all. I saw emails coming in on the web, but no notifications on my phone. The app switcher wouldn't load. I could launch an app, but pressing the home button would do nothing, so I'd have to always use the back button to get out of anything.

Google phone support had me restart the phone in safe mode, to make sure it wasn't an app doing this, but I had the exact same behaviors. I'm not certain one of my apps didn't cause this, but I can't think of what might have.

In the end, I had to go to great lengths to grab any files from the file system that weren't backed up anywhere (mostly audio recordings of my son that I made with a voice recorder app), and I did a factory reset.

Here's where my warning to other Android users comes in: set up your Android phone as a new phone. I love Google's backup feature, and I've used it on other phones, but in some cases it seems to be causing some problems. I don't know if it's pulling something down from an old phone that it shouldn't, or what, but it's looking more and more like this is a problem feature. When I set my phone up again, I chose to set it up as a new phone. I'd made a note of all the apps I wanted to reinstall, and went through the annoying process of getting everything set up again from scratch.

It wasn't fun, but now I have a phone that functions as I had hoped it would. I never expected high-end performance from a mid-range device, but what I was getting was 10x worse than my mother's old Moto G. Now my phone works as well as I'd hoped, and I'm getting those great shots of my son that I was hoping for.

Sorry for venting, but this has been a long ordeal for me. I went through months of this annoyance and I'm happy to be done with it. It's possible that this problem will return, but I'm hopeful that I have it licked.

What say the other Android users here? Do you remember which option you chose when setting up your phone?

Edited by Dignan (18/05/2016 21:18)