Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281652 - 18/05/2006 16:52 Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh.
Flawed
stranger

So I screwed up my player by running fidsift and generally had it all mucked up. Couldn't get fsck to run without giving me error messages about being out of memory and so forth. Couldn't get it to syn either. Now I kind of wish I'd flashed back to a standard kernel and tries fscking but oh well. So I wiped my drives, rebuilt them from scratch. 2x100 GB. Then I flashed to the newst Hijack kernel. Then I started loading music on there. Tried to transfer about 4 GB of music and it segfaulted on me. I manually fscked the drives, removed the music db, and flashed back to the standard bios. Then I transferred 10GB of music without any issues so I can sync, I just have to flash back to a standard bios first an dthen go back to the hijack kernel afterwards.

I'm in no hurry to force this thing to segfault again but am willing to do so for the greater good and in the hopes of getting any issues resolved.

What info is needed besides a boot log?

Also, since I'll have a lot of tracks, do I need to run that set_empeg_max_fid.v7???

Also, when do I run fidsift? Before or after loading this thing with music?

And no, I have only 16MB of memory.

Thanks!

#281653 - 18/05/2006 17:08 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I don't think it's Hijack's fault. Hijack just displays the error message now, when it didn't before.

I just point that out because several folks have blamed their segfault issues on Hijack, and it's not...I'd hate for Mark to think everyone was blaming his software for the various empeg issues.

Quote:
and flashed back to the standard bios

Does this mean you replaced just the kernel, or completely reloaded the software? If the software, what version?

#281654 - 18/05/2006 17:13 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: JBjorgen]
Flawed
stranger

Well good point. I certainly am not blaming mark for anything. i love the software and he's a very ncie guy. Helped me out by swapping one good player for my 2 bad ones! Still very much appreciated Mark!

But the fact that I couldn't sync 4 GB of files when using hijack while the filesystem was clean (had just been fscked to ensure there were no errors). then, flashing back to 2.0 final, I was able to sync that 4GB and then 10GB without problem. Just seemed the most likely problem. But hey, I'm often wrong!

#281655 - 18/05/2006 17:19 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

What software version is on your player? Are you synching via Ethernet or USB? Are you using Emplode or JEmplode?

#281656 - 18/05/2006 17:20 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: JBjorgen]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Nevermind on the software version...I see that you said 2.0 final.

#281657 - 18/05/2006 17:22 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: JBjorgen]
Flawed
stranger

Syncing using empode and via ethernet.

#281658 - 18/05/2006 19:08 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Hey, whatever works.

When Hijack is used, there is (slightly) less memory than usual for the player software, and on a big download I suppose there is a miniscule chance that this might make a (bad) difference.

If your downloads work with the regular kernel, then do them that way, and put Hijack on afterwards.

Cheers

#281659 - 18/05/2006 19:27 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Dear me, you couldn't have done it any worse if you'd tried.

I would read Roger's page on building drives over 60G. Install V2 Final Developer on it (not 2.10). Install one drive, as master, do the build manually. Remove it and install the second drive as master, do the build manually again.

Jumper the second drive as slave and install the drives on the cable and sled.

Install your music on the disc using emplode.

If you have more than about 60-70% fill of the disk, run the fids apps to do the sort, but READ THE FAQ FIRST.

Then you can consider doing things like upgrade the kernel to HiJack.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#281660 - 18/05/2006 21:02 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: schofiel]
Flawed
stranger

Quote:
Dear me, you couldn't have done it any worse if you'd tried.

What? Tried to fix things or piss Mark off?

Quote:
I would read Roger's page on building drives over 60G. Install V2 Final Developer on it (not 2.10). Install one drive, as master, do the build manually. Remove it and install the second drive as master, do the build manually again.

I did this without the manul build. I just used the 2 final builder image and obviously did them one at a time with each as master. Just ran the build twice on each drive. After the builds, there seemed to be music left on one or both but I was able to sync and deleted everything that was there with emplode.

Quote:
Jumper the second drive as slave and install the drives on the cable and sled.

Did that.

Quote:
Install your music on the disc using emplode.

Working on that. It goes slow...

Quote:
If you have more than about 60-70% fill of the disk, run the fids apps to do the sort, but READ THE FAQ FIRST.

Can't find fidsift in the FAQ... I read some threads on it.

Quote:
Then you can consider doing things like upgrade the kernel to HiJack.

I'll do that last I guess.

#281661 - 18/05/2006 21:06 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: mlord]
Flawed
stranger

Quote:
Hey, whatever works.

When Hijack is used, there is (slightly) less memory than usual for the player software, and on a big download I suppose there is a miniscule chance that this might make a (bad) difference.

If your downloads work with the regular kernel, then do them that way, and put Hijack on afterwards.

Cheers

What do you consider large?

At what point should I run that set_empeg_max_fid.v7?

I was at about 75% full when I started having problems a few weeks ago. Segfaults when syncing.

Would running jemplode make any difference?

Flashing isn't a huge deal so if there's no work around, that's fine.

I won't be adding music much after I get it filled up.

#281662 - 18/05/2006 21:08 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: schofiel]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
...Roger's page on building drives over 60G

Here: partitioning and formatting.

#281663 - 18/05/2006 21:34 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I cannot really give any advice whatsoever on using Emplode or JEmplode, as I use neither.

Cheers

#281664 - 18/05/2006 21:37 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: mlord]
Flawed
stranger

How do you transfer your music then? FTP? Can you provide any details about that?

#281665 - 18/05/2006 21:50 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
How do you transfer your music then? FTP? Can you provide any details about that?

I use my clumsy empsync script (Linux) to bulk transfer and sync the player, and then manually trigger a rebuild of the DB afterwards.

#281666 - 18/05/2006 22:01 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: mlord]
Flawed
stranger

So what would you consider too large of a sync to do with emplode?

Is that script something that could run under windows as my linux skills are nil. I do install it every 6 months and tell myself that I'll really learn it and use it this time. Does that count?

Could one ftp a large portion of music to the empeg somehow? Or does the music need to be sorted?

What about that max fid tool? When do I need to run that?

#281667 - 18/05/2006 22:13 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
So what would you consider too large of a sync to do with emplode?

I have run synchs as large as 50+ GB without problems. Don't know what the upper limit (if any) might be.

tanstaafl.

#281668 - 19/05/2006 08:04 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: tanstaafl.]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Wow. Sorry I did not catch this thread earlier, but I was working last night...

There is a very specific bug that you only encounter when you are doing a fresh install of MASSIVE amounts of playlists. I have only encountered it when wiping out large hard drives and syncing tons of music to the player at once, usually when I rebuild the player from scracth the first time after migrating to a new hard drive capacity.

This is a player / sync bug, not a hijack bug.

During the sync, there appears to be a fixed maximum for the number of playlists (not fids, not tunes) that can be sent to the player at any time. It is almost as if there is a fixed memory space allocation for the number of playlists that can be loaded during any one sync session. The only way I have gotten around it was to pre-upload the playlists in small batches. Once the playlists were there, I could upload over 100GB of music at a time.

The symptoms you see with this is that emplode will crash hard in the middle of the sync while uploading a playlist, and the empeg will lock up. I do not remember any hijack or kernel errors on the player, but it was a while since I did this.

#281669 - 19/05/2006 10:35 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: pgrzelak]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I do not remember any hijack or kernel errors on the player, but it was a while since I did this.
Hijack's front-panel error reporting is a relatively new feature, instigated after your last round of drive upgrades, so you would not have seen it then.

Cheers

#281670 - 19/05/2006 10:55 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: mlord]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
True. The last time I did this was when the 100s first came out, so it was certainly a while ago. To be honest, I do not even remember if I loaded hijack as soon as the drives went online, or waited until the content was fully populated before loading it.

I have been resisting (with some difficulty) the desire to upgrade "just for the sake of upgrading" to dual 160s...

#281671 - 19/05/2006 15:23 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: pgrzelak]
Flawed
stranger

So I'm attempting to do the manual build. have everything partitioned and formatted but I'm now trying to mount it and can't.

When I type "mount -n /dev/hda4 /drive1" it returns the message "mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

I have only one HD hooked up at this point and it's master, thus the hda4 instead the hdc4.

HEPL???

#281672 - 20/05/2006 01:41 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Flawed]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So I'm attempting to do the manual build. have everything partitioned and formatted but I'm now trying to mount it and can't.

When I type "mount -n /dev/hda4 /drive1" it returns the message "mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

I have only one HD hooked up at this point and it's master, thus the hda4 instead the hdc4.

HEPL???

mount -n /dev/hda4 /drive1 -t ext2

#281673 - 20/05/2006 05:33 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: mlord]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
mount -n /dev/hda4 /drive1 -t ext2

1. I wonder if that should be necessary? Something else wrong, maybe?
2. /dev/hda4 should be mounted at /drive0.

#281674 - 22/05/2006 13:37 Re: Hijack causing empeg to segfault when syncing. Uggghhhh. [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In my experience, that usually means that there's no filesystem there, not that you need to specify the filesystem.