Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#318014 - 11/01/2009 21:25 orphaned songs
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
a while back i had bought another player and coppied the songs from my original rio onto new drives for the new one. I noticed that many of the songs did not find their way into playlists. when i did a search on the new rio for orphaned songs (ref=0) ALL of the songs appeared.

Anybody know why this would happen and what i need to do to find only those songs that are NOT in playlists?

Thanks,

Ed

#318015 - 12/01/2009 02:22 Re: orphaned songs [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
what i need to do to find only those songs that are NOT in playlists?

I think you were trying to do the right thing. Searching for "refs=0" is the correct search to find songs that are not in playlists.

Above, you typed "ref=0". You left off the S. That might be the reason all the songs appeared. Not sure.

As to why not all of the songs found their way into playlists, I'm not sure. Perhaps database corruption, or something wrong with the copy process. For example, inducing a situation where you had mixed up or duplicate FIDs, as you might if you tried to combine the songs from two different players, or if the drives didn't get properly formatted. Can you describe what you did to perform the copy?

Also, did you try forcing a database rebuild?

#318017 - 12/01/2009 05:57 Re: orphaned songs [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Above, you typed "ref=0". You left off the S. That might be the reason all the songs appeared. Not sure.

Yep. The query syntax allows you to use arbitrary field names, which don't have to exist. IIRC, if the field doesn't exist on a tune, it's given the default value. Comparing this with zero is always true, so you get back every tune.

It should be "refs=0"

#318055 - 13/01/2009 14:23 Re: orphaned songs [Re: tfabris]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
i gotta check tonight but i am betting that you are right and i left off the 's'...

will revert....thanks!

#318059 - 13/01/2009 15:13 Re: orphaned songs [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just thought of another reason that songs might disappear from playlists like that. If you are running version 3 alpha, it might happen. It happened to me when I tried out V3 alpha. Reverting to version 2 of the software fixed the problem.