Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#30654 - 05/05/2001 21:10 Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Hi, I have been following the pending arrival of the tuner module for the Mk2 EMPEG units with interest.

Although I know as little as the rest of us about the actual release date etc.
I do have some technical questions on the tuner module that someone out there [in the empeg division of Rio?] might be able to comment on.

1. What is the pin-out of the wires on the connector on the tuner module [I assume its the same as the pin out on the connector on the docking sled], except the connector is reversed. I assume there is power [+5v], 2 way control signals plus audio signals [stereo?] coming back.
I assume the control signals are 2 way due the RDS supported by the tuner module.

2. For those of us who want to make extension cables [or interface to the tuner module for other projects] what are the manufacturers of the connectors and their part numbers of the male and females connector used on the tuner.
[e.g. RS part numbers].

3. What is the basic low-level protocol [hardware/software] between the EMPEG and the tuner module is [I2C?], serial protocol of some sort? SDI? or some other protocol?

In case anyone is wondering why I want this info, I can see a use for a computer controlled AM/FM receiver like the yet to be released EMPEG one [esp if it includes RDS as I'm told it will] and I have will be buying one or 2 extra tuner modules for these projects when they become available as well as a couple more for my 2 EMPEGS.

#30655 - 06/05/2001 19:06 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module [Re: number6]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
I also think it would be cool to be able to hack on other radio, or radio like devices over the radio control connector.. maybe setup a 3rd party XM radio

12gig red mk2 -- 080000125

#30656 - 07/05/2001 09:29 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module [Re: number6]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not got the pinouts to hand, but:

- We will be supplying an extension with the tuner module, I believe.
- The tuner output signals are AM AF/FM multiplex/I2S data (one wire), Signal strength/I2S clock, and I2S wordselect (I have probably got the I2S stuff attributed to the wrong pins; this is from memory).
- Tuner control is over a TTL RS232 link, bidirectionally. The tuner runs the interface at 19200bps, but the port will run up to 230400bps as with other serial ports. It's ttyS1.

FM left/right/RDS all come together in the FM MPX signal. RDS is demodulated by the DSP, not the tuner module. If you want to decode RDS with something other than an empeg you'll need an RDS demodulator chip and some software to extract & error-correct the packets - a lot of this is in the kernel source we ship.

The protocol is nothing special, variable length commands and fixed length responses (as the tuner doesn't have a lot to say - just things like antenna compensation curves, sony stalk commands & that sort of thing). There's a PIC16C73 on the tuner running at 3.6864MHz.

Hugo

#30657 - 08/05/2001 00:02 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module [Re: altman]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Thanks for that information Hugo it was most informative....

Now to follow up on some minor points:
In reply to:

The protocol is nothing special, variable length commands and fixed length responses (as the tuner doesn't have a lot to say - just things like antenna compensation curves, sony stalk commands & that sort of thing).

Does this mean that the forthcoming Tuner module will have a socket that I can plug a Sony RM-X4S [or similar] wired remote into and thus control my EMPEG/Rio via this interface?

If so good thinking, guys, you read my mind.

I really like the sound of that if thats what you mean - but I have a question about how customisable the Sony Stalk button assignments will be.

When you say '& that sort of thing' any other surprises up your sleeves with this Tuner module?

(such as an interface to the Inbuilt GPS unit or the Optional 'Take em out' (TM) Target Acquisition Head Up Display and front grill mounted 20mm cannon that uses/requires the Stun/Kill (TM) remote control button. Right?)

Also of note:
In reply to:

Tuner control is over a TTL RS232 link, bidirectionally. The tuner runs the interface at 19200bps, but the port will run up to 230400bps as with other serial ports. It's ttyS1.

Does this bit mean that those of us that would like a second serial port/interface into the EMPEG could commandeer the tuner control signal interface link for the Tuner module and use as a either a unidirectional or bidirectional TTL Level Serial port then?

Which would generally require a MAX232 or similar level shifter to be able to interface (safely) real world serial ports to it.
And of course, no one takes any responsibility if you blow up your EMPEG using it this way right?

Thanks for the reply, most interesting.

I was planning on getting the tuner modules for my EMPEGs anyway, but now I suspect the Sony stick interface might just be a killer feature that makes it a must have for everyone else.

In which case I want my order for 4 tuner modules placed at the top of the queue right now.

- Greg

Owner of MK2 empegs serial #s 402 & 407 both blue screens.

#30658 - 08/05/2001 01:49 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module [Re: number6]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, it will interface with the RM4XS. Currently, the buttons aren't assignable, but that's because they're not currently implemented in v1.1. Stalk controls won't work in v1.03 - just basic tuner support.

There's also (currently; not sure if it's made it to production) an ID switch which allows you to set an ID for the tuner module. This means, as the tuner module is permanently fitted into the car, that in future software we can have car-specific EQs saved (and maybe it'll pick up from a different bookmark depending which car you're in).

The port, with some inverters and a MAX232 would be suitable as another serial, yes. Put some current limiting resistors inline with it, as the early mk2s didn't have these onboard.

Hugo

#30659 - 08/05/2001 05:05 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module [Re: altman]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
the empeg will know what car it is in that is very cool pity i only own one car though

#30660 - 08/05/2001 08:58 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module [Re: thinfourth2]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Two thoughts come to mind

first of all the extension cable will be almost esentian for some cars so it is good to know that you are going to be able to supply one

Secondly will the radio module work when the empeg is on mains power. I know that i hangs off the loom at the back of the cage but i have a spare loom after getting a docking cage for my house.

#30661 - 08/05/2001 09:01 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner module [Re: thinfourth2]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

and another will the system clock be setable off the RDS clock

#30662 - 08/05/2001 12:33 Re: Pin Outs & control protocol for the tuner modu [Re: thinfourth2]
drakino
carpal tunnel

the empeg will know what car it is in that is very cool pity i only own one car though

Or for those using car docks for home use, it means the home settings will finally be seperate without having to use the home power supply or some sort of trickery.

(Assuming the empeg will switch based on a tuner ID, or lack of a tuner...)