Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84240 - 29/03/2002 19:42 Hijack 251: Custom anim sometimes doesn't play...
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
... still.

Again, this is a very rare and intermittent thing. But just now I applied power to the player and watched very clearly say "Hijack 251 by Mark Lord" for several seconds, followed immediately by my custom logo made in logoedit.

Remove and re-apply power again, animation plays fine.

This has maybe happened to me a total of 3-4 times since the feature was implemented, it is very rare. It is not related to DC or AC power, as I've seen it happen in both places. It is not related to configuration changes in the player, as I didn't change any configuration between the time it worked and the time it didn't work.

#84241 - 02/04/2002 07:59 Re: Hijack 251: Custom anim sometimes doesn't play... [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Tony,

Could you grab the contents of /proc/empeg_kernel from your machine and send it to me via email? This would have to be from a logo+hijack combination that has been seen to fail for you. If the logo has been changed since then, no good. I need the exact image from a combination that has been seen to fail.

Uploading an older failed logo and then grabbing/sending that would also NOT do, as there's no 100% guarantee that JEmplode will have done exactly the same uploading as before (very likely it would, but we need to eliminate that variable completely here).

I want to look at the animation location in flash, and the frame offsets, to see if perhaps it's an ARM memory alignment issue.

Thanks

-ml

#84242 - 02/04/2002 10:46 Re: Hijack 251: Custom anim sometimes doesn't play... [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If the logo has been changed since then, no good.

I just got done upgrading it to the kernel 253 you released. I have not changed the logo. I assume that means it will still be useful to you? I'll try grabbing it now.

#84243 - 04/04/2002 13:41 Re: Hijack 251: Custom anim sometimes doesn't play... [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I just got this problem today. I noticed that it also didn't remember where I was in my running order. Maybe the issues are related.

#84244 - 04/04/2002 13:51 Re: Hijack 251: Custom anim sometimes doesn't play... [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, I noticed that, too!

Okay, now here is something interesting.

I would have assumed that a "forget where I was in the running order" bug would mean that the last power-down flash was lost. But when it happened to me, it did not completely lose the running order. It only lost the current position within the current song, and went back to the beginning of that song.

See, usually when it fails to flash at power-down, it reverts all the way back to whereever the last state-save was. But in this case, it only went back to the beginning of the song I was just listening to. Am I making any sense?

#84245 - 04/04/2002 14:03 Re: Hijack 251: Custom anim sometimes doesn't play... [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm not entirely sure where mine went because it took me a minute or so to notice it. But I can tell you that it went to a previous song. Here's exactly what happened:
  1. empeg running along in moving car as normal
  2. it hit the end of a non-repeat playlist
  3. I pressed the top button to start he playlist over
  4. I turned off the car and it went to standby before the first song in the playlist ended
  5. I removed the empeg from the sled (likely before it had a change to shut completely down -- that is, while the LED was still blinking)
  6. Half and hour or so passes
  7. I put the empeg back in the sled
  8. I power up the car
  9. I'm pretty sure the power flickered as I was turning the engine over, so that the empeg was reset
  10. I noticed that the custom animation didn't play and that the ``by Mark Lord'' or whatever lasted longer than usual
  11. Music starts playing, but it's the last song in the playlist (it might have started at the beginning of that song -- I'm not sure)