Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15268 - 24/08/2000 05:49 building emptool under windows
njallain
new poster

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Has anyone built emptool under windows? I just played around with it a bit using both cygwin's gcc to build and msvc, and got a tremendous number of errors (I admit, I didn't try too hard though).

#15269 - 24/08/2000 22:38 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: njallain]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
I believe I saw something that said it did not currently compile under windows while digging through the source the other day. Out of curiousity, why would you want to? Sounds like emplode under 'doze is pretty good.

-Mike

#15270 - 25/08/2000 04:30 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: mcomb]
njallain
new poster

Essentially I want to be able to script the creation of playlists. My mp3s are all on BeOS and are already indexed, so I create playlists by queries (BeOS is cool!). One thing I love about my setup, is that all the songs are rated, so I can weight them in the playlist by the rating.

I'll probably just get linux up and running rather than trying to get it to compile under windows.

#15271 - 25/08/2000 09:50 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: njallain]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Cool, why don't you try compiling emptool under BeOS then? I believe gcc is the native compiler for BeOS right? It just might compile with no problems.

-Mike

#15272 - 25/08/2000 11:01 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: mcomb]
njallain
new poster

I tried that first of course. Unfortunately, emptool makes use of poll() on a socket. BeOS doesn't have poll, nor does it allow the treatment of a socket as a file descriptor. I'll probably give the port another go when I have a bit more time.

#15273 - 25/08/2000 22:34 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: njallain]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Heh, yeah, exact same problem I have with Mac OS X Server and my C is pretty rusty. If you get a chance to try it again and get it working let us know. Once I get my empeg I may try to write a more generic sync routine (java or perl would be nice), but I was hoping somebody else would beat me to it.

-Mike

#15274 - 26/08/2000 03:13 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: mcomb]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The connection/protocol class should probably not be messed with, as this is the base for talking to the empeg.

Above this, you could replace it with what you liked: replacing the protocol is probably going to be very painful though. The protocol class has functions to do everything you need - create/write/read files, mount the disks ro or rw, rebuild databases, etc.

Hugo

#15275 - 26/08/2000 11:10 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: altman]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Unfortunately the call to poll.h that seems to be causing problems for both of us is in connection.h so unless you guys want to rewrite it, we are going to have to modify it or rewrite it. Is poll.h absent from all BSDs (Mac OS X is a BSD varient, not sure about BeOS)?

I must admit that I have spent more time reading this thread than reading connection.h, so are the calls to poll really necessary or could they be rewritten with something else? The linux man page for poll says it is a variant of select which does seem to be available (at least under OS X) so maybe that is an option?

-Mike

#15276 - 26/08/2000 18:22 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: mcomb]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
You can use select - earlier versions did. poll is just neater and the interface you really should use on linux if possible - which is what we do.

As long as you don't break the external connection class interface, all should be happy. Make sure you get your timeouts in the right units (ms/us/etc).

Hugo

#15277 - 30/08/2000 03:40 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: mcomb]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Java connection class + mini web server on player = no more "my platform isn't supported" complaints.

Peter

#15278 - 23/09/2000 18:17 Re: building emptool under windows [Re: njallain]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Well, if you are still interesed I just came accross a poll.h emulation routine for BSD based systems at...

http://www.willscreek.com/software/poll/

It seems to get me a little farther with emptool under MacOS X (beta) although I still have endianess issues that I am hoping the guys@empeg will be fixing in an upcoming release of emptool.

-Mike