Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27411 - 27/02/2001 16:51 Old wish revisited: Defer disk check.
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When doing a synch, I would love to get a warning before it does the "long" version of the disk check. As an end-user, I have no idea that it's about to do the long disk check.

Perhaps I wanted to stick one little song onto the Empeg and then run out the door. I'd like it to pop up a box that allows me to either run it now or to defer the disk check until the next synch.

I'm guessing that the only reason it's not in there currently is because Emplode doesn't control it-- it must be only known to the player. If that's the case, I understand, but it's a darn shame.

#27412 - 27/02/2001 17:37 Re: Old wish revisited: Defer disk check. [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have no idea that it's about to do the long disk check.

In the same vein... I have never heard a good explanation of just what it is that triggers the disk check. I seem to recall someone from empeg saying it was date related, but I don't think so. I haven't done any re-synchs in a long time, and it has been two months at least since I have had a disk check.

Disk checking is probably based on something like every X-number of resynchs.

??

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#27413 - 27/02/2001 21:00 Re: Old wish revisited: Defer disk check. [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I may be wrong about this.

I use Linux on my laptop. If I can draw a comparison, the extended check you are asking about is an fsck (FileSysChecK) operation.

Its not really related to the Emplode sync except that Emplode triggers a restart of the player. During each restart of the system, linux checks to see if a counter it maintains has reached its limit. If so, Zap! Need it or not, you get a file systems check. Larger drives take longer.

I don't know of any hacks that allow you to view or reset that counter. It must be stored somewhere.

Glenn

Edited by gbeer on 28/02/01 04:10 AM.

#27414 - 27/02/2001 21:19 Re: Old wish revisited: Defer disk check. [Re: gbeer]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
dumpe2fs will allow you to view the current settings for the device you specify.

tune2fs will allow you to modify the settings for the device you specify.

Note - it's recommended that you unmount the filesystem in question before running tune2fs, otherwise damage could occur.

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 38 GB /
Green

#27415 - 27/02/2001 21:48 Re: Old wish revisited: Defer disk check. [Re: BillB]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
dumpe2fs will allow you to view the current settings for the device you specify.

I checked my laptop with dumpe2fs.

Mount count: 7
Maximum mount count: 20

It would appear that linux counts mount operations.

#27416 - 27/02/2001 22:11 Re: Old wish revisited: Defer disk check. [Re: gbeer]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
If I'm not mistaken, it's possible to reset your current mount count to a specific number.

Someone could set the two music partitions to different counts -

For example - drive0 (hda5?) = mount count:10,
and drive1 (hdc5?) = mount count: 0

-- this would have the effect of only fscking one music partition at a time - cutting your wait time in half, but it would happen twice as often.

Just a thought.

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 38 GB /
Green

#27417 - 28/02/2001 00:02 Re: Old wish revisited: Defer disk check. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'd prefer the journaling file system solution, so that the extensive disk checks would no longer be necessary at all. Hugo did say something about this a few months back, I'm just wondering how close to a reality it is. I suppose it all depends on the ability to migrate to the new filesystem easially. This shouldn't be too much of a problem here soon with journaling FS's ganing in popularity in Linux. (It's definitly nice to never see 2000 do a disk check, since NTFS5 is a journaling FS).