Delicate Fill nipples

Posted by: jbrinkerhoff

Delicate Fill nipples - 22/08/2002 10:46

what, exactly breaks the fill nipple? I mean, is it hitting someting? I know its tight to a few things in that area, but does the display board actually deflect that much?

Would hot-gluing the fill nipple (or silicone-ing) to the board help? Im just worried someday Im gonna whack mine and break it.

Thoughts?
-Jeff
Posted by: tman

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 22/08/2002 10:53

It sounds like it's just the mechanical shock of dropping or bashing the player that breaks the nipple. It's very fragile from all accounts.

You can actually buy the actual VFD seperately so you can always replace it. Don't break the fill nipple whilst hotglueing it though

- Trevor
Posted by: beaker

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 22/08/2002 13:11

The VFD is held away from the display board by some foam pads which under shock (ie dropping it on the floor like I did!!) allow the VFD to move closer to the board. Immediately beneath the fill nipple is the body of the volume control. The nipple hits this and breaks off. I know this cos I broke mine this way and on close inspection I could see bruising on the volume control from where the nipple hit it.

I think the only sure way of preventing this is to put something more solid behind the VFD to reduce it's movement.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 22/08/2002 14:43

Do not attempt to put glue of any kind on the fill nipple. This will more likely cause it to break from a minor shock rather than prevent breakage on a bigger shock.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 22/08/2002 19:01

I would advise against putting glue on any sort of nipple
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 22/08/2002 23:24

Unless you really really need the tassles to stay on all night.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 22/08/2002 23:27

I can just see this conversation ending in:

"No, it had to be *terror* sweat."
Posted by: dcosta

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 24/08/2002 09:24

Sorry, 'bout this one... nipples ?
Posted by: morrisdl

Re: Delicate Fill nipples - 26/08/2002 12:06

NICE!!! [/rhetorical] Who says shockwave is frivolous? [rhetorical]