run python script for gps routes?

Posted by: kswish0

run python script for gps routes? - 27/07/2003 19:48

I borrowed a friends gps today to play around with gpsapp. I got it installed and working correctly but am having trouble with the routes. I've got the raw route description saved as a text file but the next step says to run the python script 'parse_mapsonus.py'. What exactly does this mean. I know I need to do this to convert the route description into a form that gpsapp can understand. Can someone please give me better directions than just run the script?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: run python script for gps routes? - 27/07/2003 23:25

If you're on a Windows box, you have to install a python script interpreter. Windows systems can't run python scripts by default, it requires a third-party program to work.

I'll dig up some information on how I've got mine configured, then post again.
Posted by: oliver

Re: run python script for gps routes? - 27/07/2003 23:35

Well, i had to make a route the other night, and i just formatted my computer, so everything is fresh in my memory, i think .

First you need ActivePython

Then, open a command prompt window (Start, Run, Type cmd or command, hit enter)
Switch to the Local Directory for GpsApp, and type parse_mapsonus.py filename.html

It should output your start, and end points, and create a file in that folder.

Re: run python script for gps routes? - 27/07/2003 23:40

Yeah, what Oliver said.

Hey, kswish0 said he saved his raw route data as a text file. I always save mine as an HTM file. Does it matter to the python script which is which?
Posted by: oliver

Re: run python script for gps routes? - 27/07/2003 23:58

i always save mine as a html file also, at first i tried to just rip out the description's html, but then i came across genixia's post about just right click on the Show Raw Data link, and clicking save target as..

I've found this is pretty much the quickest way possible.

Re: run python script for gps routes? - 28/07/2003 01:43

I've found this is pretty much the quickest way possible.
I might have you beat on that one.

For a while, I've had a batch file that, after I've associated it in the registry as a shell extension for ".htm" files, will allow me to right-click on the saved HTM file and it will python-convert the file then upload it to my ROUTES directory under the same name as the HTM file was saved under.