Futuristic Boot Logo?

Posted by: burdell1

Futuristic Boot Logo? - 04/01/2004 20:54

I know this is very vague, but does anyone know of or could make a boot logo with a futuristic look to it
Posted by: Skunk

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 05/01/2004 12:15

Did you have somthing in mind?
If you have an example of what your looking for, I might be able to help.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 05/01/2004 16:16

Some thing that says "2005".
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 00:58

Heh. In a digital font!
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 10:23

maybe? Not?

Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 10:30

maybe not. i dont see anything

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 15:39

Ok... I tested it and I guess I'll stay with this boot logo on my empeg for a while. Looks good if you use the last frame as the Static Boot.
Futuristic??? well at least the font might pass for being futuristic.

Anyone else have an idea??

Edit: Sorry, look below for the attachment.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 15:41

Posted by: tfabris

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 15:44

OMG, that one is so cool!

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 15:44

Don't worry.... those lines at the bottom will not show up once uploaded.
(Why does it do that?)

Attached is the Static Boot in BIN format

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 15:47

(Why does it do that?)
It's probably an artifact of the program you're using to create the Animated GIF. There are some different options to control whether underlying frames are removed or not. This makes things display differently in different web browsers.

Odds are, the BIN file is fine, and perhaps the GIF displays correctly in your animation editor, but won't display right in IE.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 15:58

It is IE cause when I open the file in any other viewer, including the preview window in XP, it show fine.
The only setting I saw were for transparency and interlacing, both which were disabled.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 16:22

Interesting. When I preview your file, there is data in the bottom line of pixels as you intended. However, when I open the file in my animation editor, all of the frames are missing the bottom line of data. As if the information defining the boundaries of each frame subset are one line short on each frame. Yet the last line of each frame is there, since some programs display it correctly. I think it's a bug in your GIF creation program. Which one are you using?

An additional bug in your animator program is that it leaves a zero delay on each frame, instead of inserting a 80-100ms delay between each frame.

When I open and re-save the file using the Jemplode animation editor, the resulting file does not have the problem, and has the correct frame delay:

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 16:29

Whoa. When I use Ulead Gif Animator to optimize the file, it outputs the same (bad) result for the bottom pixel row. Only saving it from Jemplode results in a proper file. Wow.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 17:21

Which one are you using?

Adobe ImageReady 7.0

It's only as the finished gif that it shows the artifacts. I extracted the individual frames from the original gif (the one with the artifacts) in three different programs and each frame is how it should be!?!!?!?

As for the delay, ImageReady gives you the option of user defined time.
I just use the default which is 0 sec.

About Jemplode's animation tool, I noticed that if you have identical frames in your "imported" file, Jemplode gives it the same frame sequence number. So in other words, if you have the same frame for frame 17 as frame 03, you won't see frame 17 in the finished file.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 17:26

So in other words, if you have the same frame for frame 17 as frame 03, you won't see frame 17 in the finished file.
Oops. Bug. Somebody tell Mike.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 17:27

And I just realized how much that logo reminds me of Paradroid...
Posted by: speedy67

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 17:44

Yep, that's it. I was wondering of what it reminds me...

cheers, Thomas

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 18:07

skunky, I'm very impressed....
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 18:33

Cool boot logo, but I have a kinda dumb question... is there a way to view a bin file? I have other bin files on my pc that are maps/levels for the game "worms" is there a way to view\edit them ?

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 18:38

"Bin" is just an arbitrary file extention meaning binary data. It's not a specific file format like a Word for Windows ".doc" file, it's not an image file like ".gif", and it's not an ASCII file like ".txt".

The BIN file for the empeg logos is different than the BIN files for your Worms game. For instance, the BIN files for the empeg logos are only viewable in the empeg logo editor, and if someone named an empeg animation file BIN, it would only be viewable in Jemplode, and neither could be opened in Worms. You can't expect to make a worms file out of an empeg logo, nor an empeg logo out of a worms file.
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 18:46

Ah.. ok so the "bin" is a specific file that depends on the program that is using it. Also I thought the worms files were "bin" but I looked again and they are "bit" . Tony, you responded so fast, you must live on the pc

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 19:40

Thanks Brad,
It actually stemmed from your digitalempeg boot, you know, the "Matrix" one.

I wanted to remake that boot so that the 0's and 1's morphed into the empeg logo.
After many tries I wasn't happy with the way it was comming out so I directed my time elsewhere.
Then I though of the Circuit Board idea hoping it would be much easier to do. That was it though,
just an idea, I never did get around to creating it.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 21:06

maybe? Not?

ahh, weirdness. youre picture wasnt showing while at work
shows fine here at home

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 21:50

I wonder if you made a "RIO Digital Audio" one if you could get it included with the new Alpha... ? Tony how'd you pull that off?

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 06/01/2004 23:04

That's funny..that was a similar idea to what I had...I was thinking that the Matrix symbols would be coming down, but each individual letter of the word empeg would come out of the falling matrix symbols........although this wasn't what I had in mind when I said "something futuristic"..but it is a start..
Posted by: jmwking

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 08:45

Tony, you responded so fast, you must live on the pc
Everyone knows Tony's really a bot!

-jk
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 09:42

FYI, I've never seen any artifacts under Mozilla (on Sparc Solaris). My guess is it's a bug in your animated GIF rendering engine.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 12:46

burdell, you're almost sounding unappreciative, but since everyone else who saw skunk's newest logo was blown away, I'd say it was more than worth his time!

If you havn't seen the Matrix one he was talking about, here it is:

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 16:54

I wonder if you made a "RIO Digital Audio" one if you could get it included with the new Alpha... ?

OMG....that would be Soooo Sweeet!
I'm already stoked just to be part of this forum!
Even more so to own an Empeg.
Posted by: Diznario

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 18:42

Dude, mad props. That splash screen is sick!

Best one I've seen so far.

*rushes home to install new alpha and "Futuristic" boot logo*

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 19:10

I've been lookin at this a little more, and I think I've figured out a way to make it even more cool. (If that's possible)

So right now, the lines all move in at the same rate, nice and smooth, evenly from the left and the right. And the empeg logo kinda flickers in, and then stays steady.

Very cool, but I got an idea.

What if each individual line kinda pulsed in at it's own rate, not all in synch like they do now. And once a couple of the lines make it all the way to a particular letter, then that letter flickers on. So each letter would light up individually as the lines arrive, until the entire logo is lit up. (The ending could probably stay exactly the same)

I guess what I'm thinking of could be described as "The lines are electric pulses on a circuit board, and they are firing up the logo"

Yeah, ok, maybe I'm on crack. Need more sleep...

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 20:41

SE Sport Car Driver...I think .you misinterpreted what I said...when I stated this wasn't what I had in mind when I said "something futuristic"..but it is a start." I meant when I thought of the Matrix idea...i think his boot logo is great!!.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 21:59

No worries burdell, I was just joking with you.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 07/01/2004 23:39

What if each individual line kinda pulsed in at it's own rate, not all in synch like they do now. And once a couple of the lines make it all the way to a particular letter, then that letter flickers on. So each letter would light up individually as the lines arrive, until the entire logo is lit up.

Thanks Dario,
It feels good to hear you guys appreciate my work.

Your idea was my original intent.
Not only would it have taken longer to make but with 28 to 30 frames, that idea would happen too fast to to really notice the difference between the two. So I chose the less time consuming idea.

Ideas are already starting to flow for the "Rio Digital Audio" boot!
Posted by: webroach

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 08/01/2004 01:54

Do it sound like a good idea to anyone else if, when the Mark 3 comes out , we forget about the Gig-E connection and just have a much larger boot logo area on the system? I mean, I can't be the only one who wants to have something on the order of a short movie preview when the empeg boots, can I?
Posted by: PaulWay

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 07:17

Oh great master of the FAQs, I beseech thee!

How do I, a lowly Mark I user, upload a boot animation to my empeg, when the FAQ only talks about using LAN connections? I have V2 and serial cable standing by...

Kowtowing before your grandiosity,

Paul
Posted by: bbowman

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 07:42

On that thread (loosely), it would be kinda cool if, in hijack, there were an option to run the animation on demand - so that one could show it off without having to reboot the system.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 12:19

How do I, a lowly Mark I user, upload a boot animation to my empeg, when the FAQ only talks about using LAN connections? I have V2 and serial cable standing by...
I currently don't know how to do that. I only know how to use Jemplode, which is ethernet-only.

In theory, you could do the following:

1. Create a binary file that contains the animation data. I do not remember if Jemplode has the ability to save a proper binary file which contains the correct data, or if only exports animated GIFs. Remember, the player does not play animated GIF files, it must be in the player's proprietary format.

2. Calculate the correct upload address. I forget exactly how to do this. I believe that you must first learn the exact size of your animation file, in bytes. Then subtract that number from a known address (the end address of the kernel flash space). I'm not sure if this is right or not.

3. Use the upload.exe program included with logoedit to send the file to the player.

If this is the correct procedure, then I could theoretically add it to the FAQ if I just knew how to calculate the address.
Posted by: mschrag

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 14:54

Can you email me a sample of a file that does this that I can import? mschrag@pobox.com

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 14:54

noted
Posted by: self

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 15:09

hey.....

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 15:13

Is this an accusatory "hey" implying that I have plagiarized your post ?

http://empeg.comms.net/php/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=empeg_tech&Number=195532

[EDIT: yikes sorry about that massive URL before]

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 15:17

could you edit that and embed the link in a url tag? it really screws up the rest of the formatting on the page.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 15:18

and btw, i think that self's post (that you linked) is one of the funniest things ive read on here in some time.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 15:25

could you edit that and embed the link in a url tag? it really screws up the rest of the formatting on the page.
And by the way, if you ever paste a URL from this BBS into a message, it might interest everyone to know that you only need the information up to the post number. Almost all of the other parameters after the post number are redundant.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 09/01/2004 15:36

consider me admonished

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 12:53

Ok, maybe burdell1 will aprove of this one.
It was taken from this animation I found while looking for boot ideas.
I took a lot of tweeking for it to look right and be a good ride without it seeming too fast.
Enjoy!

Here is another that turned out Sweet!!!!
Try to guess from what "High Tech" movie this is from. (minus the empeg logo of course )

Here is one for you RIO car owners!
"It's Electrifying!"

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 12:57

Sweet! I like it.Thanks!...here is another challenge for you....a car one...for a Sunfire GT (the older style...not this year's model)

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 13:02

Would that by any chance be TRON?

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 13:14

And the award goes to.............webroach!

edit:I wonder if it would of been just as easy without the clue?

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 13:15

Wow, those are awesome. And he beat me to "Tron", that was gonna be my guess too.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 13:17

YAY!!!!

Wait, no. I feel dirty for knowing that off the top of my head.

What's worse is I actually know the password to the MCP. And no, it isn't "macaroni sculpture".

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 13:20

MEMBER!

My first act as "Member" will be to let Skunknumber1 know how much I (and I'm sure everyone else) appreciate his tireless efforts to provide us with consistantly AMAZING boot logos. It mean a lot to all of us, and we thank you.

The new ones are the best yet!

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 13:32

Thanks dude,
Appreciation noted.
Now if only I can finish the site I pan to have as their home, as well as Empegface skins and Anna Vu logos, it would be easier for all to enjoy!
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 14:01

Seriously, those are really impressive logos. You've got a great eye.

-Zeke
Posted by: JeffreyB

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 14:05

I hope that I don't get FAQed, but is there an application that will run on the Empeg to randomize which boot animation gets run?? This would be too cool...

Jeff

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 13/01/2004 14:17

That Tron Logo is awesome!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: PaulWay

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 02:05

...that was gonna be my guess too

You had to guess?

But then Tron is one of my all-time favourite movies. When we get the technology to teleport people instantaneously from place to place, I hope it will be more like the 'transport' in Tron than the Star Trek transporters...

Now how do I get these logos loaded into my Mark 1, I beg you!

Paul the logo-frustrated

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 02:15

Just need instructions as to which address to upload the file to...
Posted by: jbrinkerhoff

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 09:05

Wow. I just have to say wow. These boot logos are amazing! Really nice work!

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 09:22

I have to ask while Im thinking of it:

I really want a "Jeep" logo for my empeg, what I was thinking is that new "jeep" logo (see attached) animated like they do in the commercials.

I can't remember right off hand, but the "top" half of the logo seems to "drive" in with the bottom half not "fully" attached. The top aligns, and the bottom (headlights etc) sort of bounces into place. I tried to find it animated online but couldnt. Maybe Ill have to tape jeep commercials.

Anyway, to fit in the Empeg screen, I was thinking of fade in some "mountains" in the background, then have the jeep logo do its drive/boiunce thing in from the left ending center screen. Damn, I wish I could remember exactly how it moved.

Can anyone help me out here? I have the elements (logo file, mountains) I just have no clue how to make an animated GIF.

Jeff

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 09:29

Here's the mountain I was thinking of

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 11:54

I've seen the logo do it's thing but also can not remember how it moves, so I can't help there. I think it starts from the left at an angle, moves over an invisable hill, then ends up in the center.
The files you want to use are fine but I would go with a less dithered logo like this one.
I use Photoshop and ImageReady to put together and animate. then the animation tool in Jemplode to do the final touches.
If you have Photoshop 5 or higher drop me a PM and I can go over some tips and tricks for creating your animation if so desire to take a crack at it.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 11:55

Hey, I know you're getting specific car/truck requests, but I always thought it'd be cool to have more generic ones. Like a sports car one that had spinning tires, a curvy road or tach needles doing their thing. Maybe an off-roader that had a closeup of wheels climbing rocks etc.. Just a thought.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 12:15

Was it Nissan that has that cool undercarage shot of one of there 4x4's?
me like that one

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 13:55

On a side note, I think we need to start a project to get "startup sounds" for the empeg. I just reinstalled WinAmp5 on my Win-tendo, and it got me thinking....

"EMPEG..empeg....it really whips the Neo's ass..."

Nicely done audio file and TTSClock and we're ready to go!
Posted by: MinerTwoFour

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 14/01/2004 14:51

How about one for the Dodge Ram, in this style, but larger? Maybe finish with a RAM 1500 Logo or simple Dodge Ram. I don't know, always been a thought of mine to do.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 16/01/2004 00:36

Since no one replied, I'll ask again... Is there a program that can be run that will load a random boot animation? Something like programs I've seen that randomly change your background under Windows. This way you could have several of your favorite anims uploaded and each boot would be a different (random) animation.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 16/01/2004 01:46

Nope, the boot animations are stored in flash. It'd be quite possible to write a program which would write a new one into the flash from the hard drive, but the flash memory can only be writen to a finite number of times so it wouldn't be a good idea.

Matthew

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 16/01/2004 08:09

OK. The unit has an RTC, so how about once a day or week? That way the animation could change daily or weekly. At that rate, I don't think that you'd be decreasing the life of the flash.

Jeff

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 00:09

Your idea was my original intent.
Not only would it have taken longer to make but with 28 to 30 frames, that idea would happen too fast to to really notice the difference between the two. So I chose the less time consuming idea.

OK, so I was bored, and I took the more time consuming path.

I hope you don't mind... I made a little mod of your "Futuristic" boot screen. Check it out:

Still could use a little cleaning up, and at 25 frames I think it works alright.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 10:02

That's sweet!!
I like it!
no, wait, I love it!

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 10:48

Glad you like it!

Here's another slightly modified version.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 11:21

That one takes the cake!

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 11:33

Dude, we should hook up since I'm in hollister, it's not that far.
Me and the guys are doing a jam session this Saturday.
What do you say?

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 12:16

Very Cool! I noticed the last 3 frames are the same... I trimmed two of them. Way to go you two!

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 12:22

I trimmed two of them

Actually, you didn't have to.
The animation editor in jemplode still ignores duplicate frames.

Re: Futuristic Boot Logo? - 19/02/2004 13:00

the last 3 frames are the same...

Yeah, those are actually left over from the origional. That was the way the master had done it, so I didn't change it...

Sounds like it doesn't matter anyway.