NY Empeg mini-meet

Posted by: robricc

NY Empeg mini-meet - 28/09/2004 13:12

Let's meet again. I'm thinking a Saturday towards the end of October or early November. Will you be there?

Let me know if we should have it at the same place as last time with the poll.
Posted by: Daria

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 28/09/2004 13:42

Hm. Well, October is desirable since IETF and LISA are in November (Washington and Atlanta) and I expect to be at both.
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 28/09/2004 14:12

Rob,
My wife has never been to New York, this would be a good reason to take her, what's the weather like at that time of year?
Posted by: oliver

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 28/09/2004 14:26

I say we go someplace in NY. Maybe even my hometown (Syracuse). I'd vote for going to the Dinosaur BBQ. They are opening up a NYC store, i'm just not sure what the opening date is. I guess i could walk across the street and find out.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 28/09/2004 14:41

Dinosaur is good, but it's at least 2 hours from me (I know I'm not the only one going) and parking a large group is usually an issue. They also seem to rush you in and out of there.

It's open for debate still. I didn't make any calls yet.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 28/09/2004 14:46

Quote:
what's the weather like at that time of year?

I'm sorry Derrick, but it looks like it may have to be sometime in Novemeber. Let me know what days are OK for you.

NY in November is somewhat cold. Not really a problem. It shouldn't be snowing. I would wear a thin jacket (if any), but I have a high tolerance for cold.

If you can't come in November, I think we should have a meet maybe quarterly. It's not a big deal to just meet-up for dinner (if you live in the area).
Posted by: phillos

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 28/09/2004 17:01

Well there will be two brit empeg owners in NYC from 11-15 November, if you want to add an international flavoour to the meet!

Hav'n't worked out where to stay yet, but I guess it'll be pretty close to the centre - so a city meet would be perfect!
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 29/09/2004 19:42

im intending to be in the area around Christmas time, again.
no solid plans, yet

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 29/09/2004 21:27

I think a meet in Manhattan is probably not a good idea due to parking considerations. I can look for a place close to a train station, or I can pick you up. I don't really mind.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 30/09/2004 00:38

LISA is Nov 14-19. IETF is Nov 7-12. I know I'll be at LISA. I'm unsure what will happen with IETF.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 02:54

Rob, an awesome idea. Something in NY would be cool as a change of pace.

Oh, and for the date, the later the better (to buy some time for the buttons to be produced, haha). Really, anytime would be great. Thanks!
Posted by: rob

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 14:39

I'll probably be in Rhode Island sometime in November, but it will more likely be toward the end than the beginning. If the meet does slip to a later date I may be able to get to it (but don't change anything on my account).

Rob

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 15:47

I'll actually be in Rhode Island a weekend in November also. Maybe we'll be there at the same time...
Posted by: genixia

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 15:56

I'm about 40 minutes away. I think a beer or two is needed.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 15:58

Party in RI? Empeg Northeast meet? I wouldn't mind a road trip.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 16:04

You might want to avoid Wed 24th- Mon 29th November as that is the Thanksgiving period, the worst for travelling.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 16:05

:-)
I'm game!

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 01/10/2004 16:19

We can do a Rhode Island meet instead. But, I probably couldn't plan it since I have never event set foot in that state...

My car's transmission is being swapped by someone over there and should be done sometime in November. I don't know when, so I can't plan around that but I am definitely down for a meet where Rob V is. Sorry Rob, it looks like the meet will be planned around you after all.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 02/10/2004 09:07

I wasn't suggesting moving the meet to RI, I was just saying that I could probably travel to NY from there. It's right next door isn't it?

Don't plan around me as I haven't even made my travel plans yet. It could get complex as my new employer has sites in at least four states.

Rob

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 02/10/2004 14:10

I am not averse to Rhode Island if it is up there, but if so I will probably drop my car in Trenton and take the train.
Posted by: smithj

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 02/10/2004 18:22

Rob, it would be really cool if you could make between 11-15 Nov

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 11/10/2004 01:05

I've got a good place for entertainment. Dave & Busters in the Providence Place Mall right in the center of Providence. Probably couldn't do any car stuff there as it would be difficult to get spots near each other (late November weekends...Christmas shopping). However, assuming that it is on a weekend, I may have access to a car park a couple of miles up the road...still in Providence, but not in the shopping area. (They don't have a gate, but it's probably best not to upset my wife's boss. I should check first.) Failing that, there's a nearby Home Depot that we could go annoy.

As an alternative to the mall entertainment, Providence has a reputation for being artsy and has a thriving music/pub/bar/restaurant/club scene centered around its rivers and canal. Having lived 45 minutes away, I'm sorry to say that I've hardly spent any time in Providence, so I don't have any specific recommendations. I do have a friend that moved there though who probably would...

Shame it's not in October really as the Waterfire Festival is cool.
Posted by: newguy1

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 05/11/2004 02:06

Any updates on the meet?Or did it already happen.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 05/11/2004 11:17

It never happened. Who still wants something in the NY area? Is Rhode Island still possible?

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 05/11/2004 11:35

Turns out my boss will now be in the UK the week I was going to see him in Rhode Island, so I won't be getting over there on this occassion.

I will, however, be in LA from Monday until Thursday, and then Santa Clara until Sunday.

Rob

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 06/11/2004 03:18

I can barely get away from all the work I'm under right now. 2005? Spring?

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 06/11/2004 03:19

I prefer closer to NY, but Nov14-19 I'll be in Atlanta.
Posted by: cwillenbrock

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 08/11/2004 17:18

NY area would be lovely. The place we were at last time in Jersey would be wonderful.
Posted by: phillos

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 08/11/2004 17:47

Well I'll be arriving in NY on thursday 11/11 along with another UK empeger, and am off again on monday 15/11 - we're staying Midtown so somewhere around there would be great...but a small subway trip would'nt be a problem

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 08/11/2004 18:28

I was looking at a place in Congers, NY, but getting from Manhattan to the place the last meet was held is easier. maybe we'll just do that since the last meet seemed to work out fine.

I don't know about doing it this weekend though. I may have something going on...

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 08/11/2004 21:08

This weekend might work out if I blow off the work I need to do. I'll take steak or whatever else.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 09/11/2004 00:39

Atlanta? What part? I'll buy ya a beer...

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 09/11/2004 02:27

Uh, wherever the Marriott is, I'll guess Peachtree Center.

LISA 2004 is there, and as with the last 4 or so I'll be showing up to co-lead a workshop on the distributed filesystem I work with at my day job.

And I'll probably have to take a Coke, or a Coke float or something, I drink alcohol about twice a year, and I think I used up my twice this year

I don't have the tickets handy, but I think my train gets in Sunday, I talk Monday, and then the rest of the week I try to get my employer's money's worth out of sending me, and head home Friday night.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 09/11/2004 02:29

Oh right, and I'll even be somewhere where it's a sin to give someone Pepsi when the asked for Coke. take that tfabris!
Posted by: iopcool25

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 09/11/2004 03:28

hey i live in the city

Altanta Empeg mini-meet 2004? - 09/11/2004 03:34

Seems like we could about do it, but I won't have a car and hence probably no empeg with me.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 09/11/2004 12:47

Quote:
Uh, wherever the Marriott is, I'll guess Peachtree Center.

LISA 2004 is there, and as with the last 4 or so I'll be showing up to co-lead a workshop on the distributed filesystem I work with at my day job.

hmmm... I looked at maybe sitting a workshop or something since I'm in temporary retirement but it looks a bit pricey; looks interesting though.

Quote:

And I'll probably have to take a Coke, or a Coke float or something, I drink alcohol about twice a year, and I think I used up my twice this year

Yes... the land where "Coke" is synonymous with "soda". But Haacke-Beck is not bad for an NA beer.

Quote:

I don't have the tickets handy, but I think my train gets in Sunday, I talk Monday, and then the rest of the week I try to get my employer's money's worth out of sending me, and head home Friday night.

Well... I'm pretty open during the day so if you want to catch lunch one day or you need to know how to get somewhere or if you have a certain area you want to check out let me know. I tend to stay on the north side of Atlanta, outside the perimter and I frequent the mountains. The only time I really go downtown these days is for a Thrashers, Braves or a Falcons Game and occassionaly I'll take the kid to the zoo.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 12/11/2004 02:01

Hm, I may be going up to MA about 45 minutes west of Boston. I may have to meet my colorant supplier to demonstrate the difference between the VFD color and the button color so we can get the best possible color match. What were we saying about meeting up there? If it's a possibility to get a drink with some of you in the area, let me know.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 12/11/2004 02:28

When?

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 12/11/2004 13:57

Where?

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 12/11/2004 23:30

where: Clinton, MA
when: I don't know, but probably a week day so the colorant company is open.

Drinks could be had after the "business trip." I'll let you know if they want me to come up.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 12/11/2004 23:56

I'm in (almost definitely). Last year the NY meet was in NJ, now MA. Next year we should have the NY meet in Taiwan.

PS- I just got word that the 5-speed swap was completed on my SVX. I'm definitely looking to go on a long-ish drive.

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 13/11/2004 23:35

Count me in, if it was any closer to me it would have to be in my house!

Re: NY Empeg mini-meet - 14/11/2004 01:39

Is there anyone driving up from the "central jersey, close to the jersey shore" area?
I may need a favour.