Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question

Posted by: kendrick

Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 18/01/2005 21:25

Ive been using Empeg Web Lite, and I was wondering if there was anyway I could access it from a computer thats not on my network.

Currently you access empeg web lite by entering the lan address in the link for it. Is there anyway I could access the empeg web lite page for my empeg from say my palm handheld or a friend's computer?
Posted by: cushman

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 18/01/2005 21:32

How is your network set up, are you behind a router, for example? If you are behind a broadband router, you would just have to forward the correct ports (80) to the public internet... potentially exposing your Empeg to attack though. You could also place your Empeg's ip in the DMZ for your router also.

From a handheld - well, the browser would have to support the correct features like XMLHTTPRequest, and I do not think either Web Pro or Blazer does. Maybe Pocket IE, but not sure. The vanilla Hijack web interface would work, though. Your problem is just how to connect the handheld to your network.

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 18/01/2005 21:38

Well my handheld has bluetooth, could I connect it to my network that way?

Also another problem is that roadrunner who is my provider doesn't allow you to open port 80.

Any other choices?

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 18/01/2005 21:56

Quote:
Well my handheld has bluetooth, could I connect it to my network that way?

You haven't even said what type of handheld it is. Your user manual should say something about it.

Quote:
Also another problem is that roadrunner who is my provider doesn't allow you to open port 80.

Use another port for khttpd, with a config.ini option.

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 18/01/2005 22:01

Its a Tungsten W palm. You can connect to a LAN via bluetooth.

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 19/01/2005 00:19

Ah, you have the SDIO BT card for the W. I'm not sure of the SOP to connect to a LAN, but it shouldn't be a PITA.
Posted by: treize

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 19/01/2005 13:56

This is slightly off topic but it relates to the Empeg Web Lite. I can access it and it works just great. However I cannot see the now playing info, the id3 tag info. Everything else is fine, it sees all my playlists and plays them no problem. Was there maybe an option I need to set in the config.ini. The only thing I added to the config initially was the khttpd_style command showing empeg lite's location. Did I miss something? thanks.

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 19/01/2005 13:59

Which browser/platform are you on? Are you getting any javascript errors? You do not have to have the khttpd_style option set if you saved it as default.xsl.

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 19/01/2005 14:01

Ah, also do you have

[output]
notify=1

in your config.ini?

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 19/01/2005 14:04

good lord you responded quick...lol. i'm sorry i forgot to mention that. I'm using Mozilla Firefox. I don't see any warnings as to Javascript errors, though in the past I have had trouble manualling loading java into mozilla. yeah i used that commaned because I renamed the file. maybe i'll try keeping it as default.xsl and see if that works.
Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 19/01/2005 18:19

Definately possible to access outside your network i.e. on the net.

I have a Belkin Router. It listens for port 81 on my IP and then passes port 80 to my empeg. I would have used port 80 forwarding but that already went to my webserver.

Definately works for me accessing tunes from work to home, though sometime the bandwidth of the tunes is a bit high. Internet radio works slightly better as you can lower than bandwidth.

Ta

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 19/01/2005 23:03

i hadn't seen your suggesion about the notify command earlier. that fixed everything and i'm now able to see the now playing track info. what is that supposed to do specifically? I mean other than solve my problem...heh. Thanks again cushman

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 20/01/2005 01:15

Quote:
i hadn't seen your suggesion about the notify command earlier. that fixed everything and i'm now able to see the now playing track info. what is that supposed to do specifically?

It is a Hijack option that enables (a totally rad feature) writing the currently playing track to /proc/empeg_notify so that other apps can read it. You can see the raw data I read for the web interface by going to http://your-empeg-ip/proc/empeg_notify.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 20/01/2005 02:07

Quote:
It is a Hijack option that enables (a totally rad feature) writing the currently playing track to /proc/empeg_notify so that other apps can read it.

Slight correction.

It is a built-in original feature of the empeg, with or without Hijack, that enables writing the currently playing track info to the player's serial port.

Hijack has the ability to do special things with this information, and also do things like suppress the actual serial port output while still making that same information available to third-party apps, but the actual feature itself is an original feature built in to the empeg player software.

Re: Empeg Web Lite Remote Access Question - 20/01/2005 10:30

You're right, the player can publish this information on the serial port.
Hijack makes it available on-demand via /proc/empeg_notify, a much cleaner way of getting this data.