Biggest Hard Drive Avalb.

Posted by: justinlarsen

Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 06/01/2002 21:08

What is the biggest GB size for a laptop drive that would work in the playrt, and where can i find it.. from what i know 48gb is the max per drive.. i was looking for a little bit more.. if anyone can guide me.. that would be great.. i tried searching thru the forums, and i found a site that said fijisui is planning a 100gb drive but i couldnt find it for sale anywhere.. thanks
Posted by: ClownBurner

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 06/01/2002 21:31

I think the largest 2.5" drive currently announced is the IBM TravelStar 60GB, but they're still not yet available retail AFAIK.

Why do you need so much drive space? Do you really have that many MP3's?
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 07/01/2002 01:46

ya i have over 187gbs of mp3,
Posted by: dcosta

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 13/06/2007 12:12

Let's bring this topic ahead 5 years..
What's the biggest hard drive available for the empeg?

FAQ entry says no limit on size (theorhetically) but mentions that
at the time of this entry's writing (June 29, 2006), SATA drives don't work...

And now with perpendicular magnetic recording,
ferro-fluid ganeuten valve timing and high velocity knocker pins,
just what exactly am I looking for in high capacity hard drives for my empeg?

I've seen 160GB drives for 110 USD
<borat>very nice</borat>

I found these 2 drives from Hitachi. Here's the Data Sheet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Number: HTS541616J9AT00
Part Number: 0A50817
Size: 2.5"
Capacity: 160GB
Interface: ATA ATA-7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Number: HTS541616J9AT00
Part Number: 0A50818
Size: 2.5"
Capacity: 160GB
Interface: ATA ATA-7

Might these drives work?
Anyone have good suggestion for big drives for empeg under $150 each?
Or maybe even bigger ones for some knid of reasonable price?

- Please Advise.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 13/06/2007 12:56

NewEgg currently has five 160GB 2.5" PATA hard drives, ranging from $89 to $120. And 160GB seems to be the highest capacity for 2.5" PATA hard drives. 2.5" SATA hard drives go up to 250GB, it seems.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 13/06/2007 21:26

Quote:
high velocity knocker pins,

Oh, come now! If you'd taken the trouble to do any research at all, you'd know that the high velocity knocker pins are not going to be available until the first quarter of 2010 at the earliest.

You really should confine your requests to hardware that is currently available.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 14/06/2007 00:50

Hm, that doesn't seem right that laptop hard drive space has only ~trippled in 5 years. Sure, companies seem more interested with smaller form factors than larger drives. But still.
Posted by: Attack

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 14/06/2007 01:51

I ordered 2 of the seagate 160GB drives on Tuesday. I haven't decided if I want to put both in one Empeg or put 1 in each Empeg and keep them in sync.

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 16/06/2007 13:37

Quote:
160GB seems to be the highest capacity for 2.5" PATA hard drives. 2.5" SATA hard drives go up to 250GB

So in my regards to my original question:

ARE YOU SAYING:
"If you want drives bigger that 160GB in your empeg, you have to go with SATA drives which go up to 250GB and are in fact compatible with the empeg."

OR ARE YOU SAYING:
"Although 250GB SATA drives are available, they are not compatible with the empeg and since we can only put PATA drives in our empegs, 160GB is seemingly the max for now."

(samkinison)...Say it, say it. (/samkinison)
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 16/06/2007 17:52

Quote:
"Although 250GB SATA drives are available, they are not compatible with the empeg and since we can only put PATA drives in our empegs, 160GB is seemingly the max for now."

Definitely that one. Though there are converter boards available. AFAIK no one has shoehorned them into an empeg yet.

Matthew
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 22/06/2007 02:08

maybe this one? Wouldn't need to worry about anyone steeling the Empeg with this in it.

http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ibm-305-ramac.html
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 22/06/2007 15:20

Quote:
The capacity of the entire disk file was 5 million 7-bit characters, which works out to about 4.4 MB in modern parlance.

That would be a great mod for a person whose digital music collection contains only one song...
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 22/06/2007 15:37

Quote:
That would be a great mod for a person whose digital music collection contains only one song...

Now there's an idea for a new thread... What's the one song on your Desert Island Top 1 Song empeg.

Matthew
Posted by: avatarTX

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 10/10/2007 10:02

As long as you are going to upgrade drives.. take a look at these puppies.. I am waiting for the price to come down and would love to get the 64GB model. Get a pair of them if you really need the space. Just imagine.. no moving parts!
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 10/10/2007 15:55

Quote:
Quote:

Now there's an idea for a new thread... What's the one song on your Desert Island Top 1 Song empeg.

No contest, there... John Cage's 4'33".

If it were anything else, I'd rapidly tire of it as its play frequency increases to that of Clear Channel radio programming.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 12/10/2007 01:21

It just occurred to me to wonder if that big old drive could source the bits fast enough to play without skipping.
Posted by: peter

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 12/10/2007 12:56

Quote:
It just occurred to me to wonder if that big old drive could source the bits fast enough to play without skipping.

8800cps, says Wikipedia. 6-bit characters with parity, so 52.8kbits/s, not really enough. Looks like the 1405 was the first drive that could sustain 128kbits/s. You'd still have a problem with the CPU, though: I can't immediately find a reference for the clock speed of 1400 series CPUs, but I'd bet it's a long, long way short of being able to decode MP3 in real-time, considering even the much later Stretch supercomputer wouldn't have been able to.

Peter
Posted by: Roger

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 12/10/2007 13:55

Quote:
What's the one song on your Desert Island Top 1 Song empeg.

The largest MP3 file I have that still fits is The Bucket, by Kings of Leon. Closely followed by Mr. Brightside by The Killers.

Either would do, assuming I'd be rescued within a couple of days.
Posted by: altman

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 18/10/2007 21:51

Hmm, that got me considering whether a really fast paper tape reader could sustain some MPEG2.5 low bit rate audio decode. Hmmm. I don't think it would, but you could use wide tape

Hugo
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 18/10/2007 21:58

Wow, soon maybe we could have video and audio streaming off of magnetic tape in real time. That would be so awesome!
Posted by: frog51

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. (truly) - 19/10/2007 05:03

I have a couple of Pink Floyd gigs as single mp3s - would they count:-)
Posted by: rmitz

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 15/11/2007 14:37

It looks like Western Digital just released a 250G PATA 2.5" drive recently...woot!

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=346&language=en
Posted by: mlord

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 15/11/2007 15:16

Quote:
It looks like Western Digital just released a 250G PATA 2.5" drive recently...woot!

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=346&language=en

Ahhh.. those are probably the ones I see at our local Costco for CDN$140 inside a WD USB enclosure.
Posted by: spider

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 16/11/2007 05:01

mark, unfortunately not, the 250's at costco are sata drives

I did score a 160 for $94.99 though, they were mixed ide and sata but there is a model number difference on the outside of the box in order to differentiate between the two. no such luck on the 250's though they are all sata.

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 16/11/2007 13:38

Quote:
mark, unfortunately not, the 250's at costco are sata drives

I did score a 160 for $94.99 though, they were mixed ide and sata but there is a model number difference on the outside of the box in order to differentiate between the two. no such luck on the 250's though they are all sata.

Mmm.. that could be good, too. Four of those on a eSATA port multiplier, and I've got a tiny, low-power, quiet 750MB of RAID5 for backups and the like.

Mmm...

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 19/11/2007 19:58

So these 250 GB Western Digital Scorpio drives available for $179.99 USD on newegg will work in our beloved empegs....???

Please say yes.
Please say yes.
Oh god, someone,
please say yes.
Posted by: spider

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 19/11/2007 20:03

dont see why they wouldn't!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 19/11/2007 20:08

No reason it shouldn't. EIDE is the right cable type/protocol and the drive is not too thick, so you should be good. You'll have to use some non-standard tools to get it to work right, though: read the drive upgrade guide and pay special attention to the instructions for big drives (search for "Special note for large drives").
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 20/11/2007 00:06

Yes it works just fine in my empeg. I used the large drive builder, then installed 2.01 to get the partitions and boot installed. Installed the latest Hijack. I then mounted it on my computer along w. my former 160GB drive, copying all my music over to the new 250GB drive.

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 20/11/2007 01:07

Quote:
Yes it works just fine in my empeg. I used the large drive builder, then installed 2.01 to get the partitions and boot installed. Installed the latest Hijack. I then mounted it on my computer along w. my former 160GB drive, copying all my music over to the new 250GB drive.

Note that one must be *exceptionally* careful with that kind of sequence, and *never* install the factory software (2.01 or v3alpha-whatever) onto any player with a driver larger than 128GB in size. The factory kernels may corrupt filesystems on such drives.

The rebuilt upgrade files with Hijack kernels included are the only safe ones to use.

(or is my memory going bad quicker than I thought it was?)

Cheers
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 20/11/2007 02:22

Mark, I used the 2.01 build you had modified for LBA48 support, which I presume qualifies as exceptionally careful. Thank you very much for putting that together.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Biggest Hard Drive Avalb. - 20/11/2007 04:20

Yes, that's good. He thought you meant: Installed 2.01 standard, then installed Hijack.

I'm pretty sure that *his* 2.01 includes hijack already.