why are the new posts disappearing

Posted by: JaBZ

why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 04:46

Why is it when I read the General area which has something like 100 NEW posts, and only read about 20 of them, then leave the rest for later. Only to come back and find that the (NEW) desigation on the posts have disappeared?
This only happens on in the "General" area
however all other areas retain how many new posts I've read!!

cheers,
Jaidev
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 04:47

hmmmmm double posting, another mystery
Posted by: rob

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 05:01

I get this in all forums and always have done. In fact, I rely on it to mark as read the threads I'm not interesting in reading.

Rob
Posted by: robricc

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 06:07

I agree with Rob. This is an excellent feature.
Posted by: mlord

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 08:19

Only if one leaves their connection open indefinitely.

But for we who shutdown completely every ni... well, once a day anyway (), it makes it tricky to find the stuff we hadn't got to.

-ml
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 10:26

Unless your browser crashes in the middle of reading a forum. Then, unless you can remember the magical phrase to go directly back to the forum, bypassing the menu, it forgets all of them. I think it's annoying, too. There should be a tristate of new, unread, and read, instead of just new and old, if they want it to work in this way.
Posted by: robricc

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 11:45

I use it like this...

I keep the BBS open nearly all day. Every now and then I refresh the main page. Even though I didn't read something in the General Forum due to lack of interest, it doesn't show up as having new posts on the main page. This is very good for me.

However, if you are not addicted to this BBS, or your job comes before your Empeg (for shame!) I can see how this would be annoying. You read a few posts during your lunch break and save the rest for later. Then when you get home it is hard to keep track of what was read/not read.

Yes, I will agree that for most, this setup of the BBS is annoying. But for me, it's perfect. That's all I was saying.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 11:47

"But for we who shutdown completely every ni... well, once a day anyway"

Aha! Evidence that Mark might actually...erp, SLEEP!

I don't believe it though.

I like the new tags disappearing too.

-Zeke
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 08/02/2002 12:10

That has happened to me more than once, and it's very frustrating. I think it would have been better if the authors put a user button that marks all the threads in a forum read, rather than doing it by default.

Calvin
Posted by: bonzi

Re: why are the new posts disappearing - 09/02/2002 07:17

Exactly. 'Mark as read' is a normal feature of mail and news clients, and I think it should be here, as well. 'Dissapearing' new marks are extremelly annoying, as I sometimes can't find time to read the board for (gasp) a whole day, and then should better not even start unless I have two hours for that.