V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 25/04/2006 00:05

I have no idea what this thing is! I found it in a garage to a vacant house that we were working on... saved it from the dumpster.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had any info on this thing... Most of the search results are in German.

Linky
Posted by: msaeger

Re: V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 25/04/2006 00:22

I think it's worth quite a lot if I remember right from when I had my VW. I would try posting on the vwvortex.com forum or tdiclub.com.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 25/04/2006 00:32

wow! Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to remember my login for VWVortex.... I almost bought a Jetta about 5 years ago and was quite active..
Posted by: robricc

Re: V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 25/04/2006 01:18

Let me know if you find a Tech 2 in a dumpster. I call dibs!
Posted by: sein

Re: V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 25/04/2006 07:41

That looks like the machine my service place used to check my cars' fault log. You can also use it to issue commands to set things like anti-hijack locking, beeping on lock, reset service interval, setting up retro-fit cruise control etc etc. I do believe that machine can be emulated with a specific serial cable and some Windows software.

You may find some more info on the Skoda Forums.

Nice find!
Posted by: msaeger

Re: V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 25/04/2006 10:37

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html
Posted by: oliver

Re: V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 26/04/2006 02:21

Would you want to sell it? If so one of my buddies would definitely be interested.

Err... I completely missed the "linky"
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: V.A.G. 1551 Diagnostic Machine - VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat - 29/04/2006 20:50

Yeah, I'd love to snag one of those cheaply too.

Some guy on a GM car forum is getting good results with Autoscanner http://opel-scan.ru/forum/index.php (you'll need Babelfish!). I don't know if it's really this simple but I'd imagine your Saab's ECU may also be used in a GM model. If it's just fault codes you want, can't you "paperclip test" your car to get the EM lamp to blink codes?