Where can I find old printer parts?

Posted by: Dignan

Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 07:03

Yet again, I am scavenging my dad's office. This time it's an old HP Laserjet III D.

The problem? Unlike the monster printer I got from the office last summer, this one is missing a fan and the power supply is dead.

So where do I find replacement parts for these items? I'm hoping this thing will still work, otherwise we'll dump it.

Any help?
Posted by: frog51

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 08:39

In my experience you can only find these at car boot sales and dumps, but it is usually very easy to get them working and the print quality is superb.

I've had LJ II's and III's and even a 5L for years - and they are good solid workhorses (except for the 5L)
Posted by: robricc

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 08:51

Parts for the LJ II and III series were still available a couple years ago. I think they still are.

https://www.partsdirect.hp.com/
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 09:01

Greetings!

There are also a number of used part vendors available on the net. I don't have any specific recommendations, though. eBay may also be another option.

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 09:08

Oh boy. Well, the parts are unavailable, but even if they were, I'm not about to pay $400 for a new power supply to an ancient printer. Farewell, good laserjet!

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 09:11

I'll take a look. Wow, I didn't believe them when they said the PS was dead. I plugged it in and turned it on. I certainly didn't power on, and I had my ear near the PS when I turned it on, so I heard this faint wheeze come from the dead thing. That and some sort of smell. I'm assumg that came from the printer
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 10:11

Greetings!

Here's a site: Printer Works . com. The specialize in refurbished and parts for various printer types. On a whim, I searched for a power supply for a LaserJet III, and came out with a few alternate part numbers for replacements, all of them under $50. Hope that helps... Note: I have never ordered from these folks, and I have no clue if they are reliable or not. At the very least, you might be able to get equivalent part numbers...

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 18/07/2002 10:15

Woah! Great find! The one that would replace the unit that's in there is $44. That isn't too bad... I'll have to think about this...

*edit* well, and the fan is $20. I guess we're up to about $80 shipped here. That's a tough decision...*edit*
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Where can I find old printer parts? - 19/07/2002 09:29

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com