Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads

Posted by: xanatos

Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 18:19

So, I'm undertaking an interesting project, and one thing I need is to find some Raw EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) Beads. I've been looking on google, Du-Pont, Dow, 3M, BASF, and can not find any place that sells these for any less than $6.50 / Cu/FT.

Of course, all these places are retail and want to make a huge profit. I need about 150+ Cu/Ft of EPS Beads. I was just curious to see if anyone knows where to pick some up, if they happen to have any connections in the wonderful world of polymers.

And yeah, WAY off topic
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 18:22

Have you tried www.usplastic.com ?

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 18:27

Humm, looks like they only have finished products. But good link, lots of stuff I like
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 18:46

The only thing I can think is to call up a tool & mould shop. I used to work for one in Windsor, and we went through tons of plastic, testing out moulds. They might be able to give you a lead on where you can buy the stuff...
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 19:12

Can you tell us what the project is ?

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 19:50

Well it's kinda extremely stupid.

But I'm making HUGE bean bag chairs. Each one will need about 50 Cu/Ft of EPS (normal 'large' chairs need 13 to 20 max.

Basically I was tired of shiznitty furniture in my room and living room. So two of my friends and I are making one huge chair each... and maybe some smaller ones...

Tonite I get to go home and sew more. Man, a geek sewing, this has been an interesting experience to say the least.

Oh, and Black Canvas is heavy ;P
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 20:11

That's cool I have always thought that the chairs that are for sale are too small. How about using actual dried beans it would probaly be too heavy though. I wonder how packing peanuts would work.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 22:50

How much do normal bean bag chairs cost? If it's not too much (and I can't imagine that it is), just buy three of them for each gigantic one you're making. You might be able to reuse the pleather and the zipper, too.

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 23:14

We thought about that, a "cheap" bean bag chair is roughly $20 a pop, and about 6 to 8cu/ft. A little to expensive for my tastes.

Zippers are pretty cheap, and it's nice making it using a fabric you chose. Definately going to attempt to call some molding places on monday, and see if I can "bulk" buy 150+ cu/ft of the stuff... can you say lots of boxes?
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 17/08/2002 23:56

Hmmm, I used to know someone who'd undertaken this exact project and had a massive (three or four person) bean bag chair in their entertainment room. Unfortunatly, I'm out of touch with them at the moment, so I can't actually help you on sources.... Their's was known as Jabba , of course...

Matthew
Posted by: tms13

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 20/08/2002 03:35

In reply to:

How about using actual dried beans...?

Be careful not to spill your coffee if you do this...

Re: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Beads - 21/08/2002 03:02

Well, I found a place in town that makes EPS Beads

Getting them for $14 per 15 Cu/Ft. Called around to about 5 different places. Thanks for all your suggestions