Slashdot Audio CD news

Posted by: ninti

Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 09:21

I didn't see anyone post this here, but Slashdot linked some interesting stories about copy protection on CDs yesterday.
One, is about how BMG is going to release all their CDs in Europe with copy protection, and the other is about how copy protection on CDs is useless. Oh the irony.
Posted by: andy

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 09:31

Yeah, why don't the record companies realise that copy protection is useless ? Can't they understand that if the CD is playable on a "normal" CD player with a digital out then it is always going to be possible to make a 100% faithful copy whatever they do ?

Even if copying was more difficult than that it only takes one person to rip it and upload it (or more likely 1 person to write the code to rip it and 1000 people to rip and upload it).

They just inconvenience a percentage of the population who have CD players that can't play the protected disk and don't get the copy protection that they want.

Pointless...
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 09:53

Hmmm, I bet I'm the only one who read that and thought, "oh, they're coming out with a new Sounds of Slashdot mix?" Damn, some days you know you're a geek.

Matthew
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 10:47

"oh, they're coming out with a new Sounds of Slashdot mix?"

Yeah. It's 73 minutes of noise and static with 60 seconds of music spread randomly throughout.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 10:53

LOL. Slashdot is like a broken record nowadays and rarely has anything completely new. I remember the good old days when the submissions and comments were... better.

Posted by: BryanR

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 10:54

What, an extended remix of Metal Machine Music?

Bryan.
Posted by: svferris

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 14:09

I saw some of the tracks off the Slashdot CD:

1. First Post!
2. Does it run Linux?
3. My Beowulf cluster is better than your Beowulf cluster
4. Lern to spel with Slashdot editors
5. Cowboy Neal
6. goatse.cx
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 14:51

Ok, the "Sounds of Slashdot" CD actually existed, and the first track was debian, which can make for some interesting static on a really cheap CD player. Maybe when I'm home over thanksgiving I'll hunt it up and rip it for posterity.

I agree with the general sentiment that slashdot has gone downhill rapidly. Unfortunatly, I havn't found a good replacement for tech news and neat hacks all in one place. Kuro5hin thinks way too much of itself, and all the others don't offer neat hacks.

Matthew
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 16:04

Yeah. It's 73 minutes of noise and static with 60 seconds of music spread randomly throughout.

ROFLMAOASTC
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 16:19

Okay googling that acronym didn't provide any insight, so....

Rolling on the Floor, Laughing My Ass Off After Striking Thirsty Chickens?

Edit: n/m, Google's web search didn't find it, but a search of Google Groups tells me that you scared your cat.
Posted by: bodybag

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 16:46

Rollin' on the floor laughin' my ass off and still tokin' chronic?

you must be very proud...
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 16:50

I believe it is 'ROFLMAO And Scaring The Cat' from a post seen long ago...

-Zeke
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Slashdot Audio CD news - 07/11/2002 19:36

C can also mean Coworkers instead of Cat if you're at work rather than at home.