IP Detective Work, can someone help?

Posted by: darwin

IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 15:26

I'm just trying to find out who own's this ip address: 67.250.135.102 Like who is the isp or something. Where can I search for this? Is there a website or something? To make it short, i'm getting harrassed, that's why I need this info.
Posted by: oliver

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 15:34

Whois on ARIN should give you what you need. or Visual Route is a very nice trace route program, with all whoises built it!
Posted by: oliver

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 15:37

ARIN will give you their ISP, do a whois on their ISP's domain, call the tech contact number, and let them know what’s going on with their user. They will probably also tell you to email abuse@hisISP.ext.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 15:39

This is what the DNS lookup comes back with:

1Cust102.tnt2.coupeville.wa.da.uu.net

Looks like it's probably a dialup.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 16:05

To elaborate on what Rob S. just said...

If it's a dial-up number, that means it's not a fixed IP address so it could be any one of that ISP's customers. Your only recourse is to contact the ISP with an exact time/date of the harassment and convince them that it's worth their time to look up the user name in their logs as referenced against that address (assuming they even log that data).
Posted by: darwin

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 16:25

Thanks for your replies, I'll try to figure it all out with the info given. Hopefully, I should be able to find out at least what city they are from.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 16:38

Well from that address

1Cust102.tnt2.coupeville.wa.da.uu.net

It looks like they dialed into a modem pool in Coupeville, WA.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 16:57

It looks like they dialed into a modem pool in Coupeville, WA.

Looks like. From the nomenclature it looks like an Ascend MAX TNT, which also does DSL, but if you experience repeats with a different address, then that suggests dial-up.

One other thing to keep in mind is that even though it is a UUNet port, it might be a resold port that is under another ISP's umbrella for services, authentication, etc.. So if you contacted UUNet and they referred you somewhere else, I wouldn't automatically take offense.
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: IP Detective Work, can someone help? - 06/12/2002 19:26

I have found that for this type of stuff, there really is no substitute for
http://www.samspade.org