What's your favourite way of making coffee?

Posted by: muzza

What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 17:44

Magic Coffee Maker
Powdered Instant is good enough for me.
Gourmet Instant (flavours) is what I chug
Good drip filtered
Percolated on a stove
Percolated in a machine
I only buy mine in shops
I dont like coffee

Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 18:57

I use one of those little stove top expresso makers, but only on weekends.
During the week I sleep for the drive to work and survive on the gunk we have there.
Posted by: thrasher

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 20:06

I use a capresso that burr grinds it and brews automaticl.the burr grinder is also my alarm clock in the morning.LOL
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 20:54

I can't make decent coffee to save my life, so I buy thermos refills from the local "Dunkin Donuts".
Posted by: Dignan

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 23:24

Can't stand the stuff.

Half the time I enjoy the smell, but I usually don't like anything about places like Starbucks.

It's funny, I have the exact same reaction to coffee as I do to alcohol. I cannot stand either in any way. I can't stand anything with either in it. Someone will always tell me "oh, you can't even taste the xxxx." They lie.
Posted by: trs24

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 23:41

Only espresso for me and none of that milk/cream crap. Usually a tripple cafe americano or a few shots of espresso topped of with coffee. Can't get enough of the stuff. - trs
Posted by: thrasher

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 23:53

you must be bouncing off the walls in the morning,you might as well do a big line.LOL just kidding.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 29/03/2003 23:58

The microwave?
Posted by: BartDG

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 03:36

I'm EXACTLY the same as you when I read this Dignan! Sure, when I get into work in the morning and somebody has made coffee it smells great.
But don't ask me to actually drink the stuff. Yuck. At work, coffee is the only beverage that is free, so I guess that's why so many collegues are drinking it. Even collegues who in the past didn't like it are also drinking it now, claiming it's an "aquired taste".
So far I haven't caved in (and I don't think I ever will), and am still drinking water at $0,50 a can.
Same for alcohol here. I don't have anything against alcohol, I just don't like the taste (this applies especially for beer)
Posted by: 303

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 04:39

...by a hot naked redhead
Posted by: andym

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 06:06

You mean you boil your water on top of a 1Kw lamp? Sounds dangerous.
Posted by: djc

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 06:36

amen, brother. espresso (with maybe a splash of water or ice) is the only way to go.

--dan.
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 06:40

The only way I like coffee is in the Tiramisu ....
Posted by: peter

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 06:56

by a hot naked redhead
I think you misread the poll -- that'll be the answer to "What's your favourite way of making whoopee?". Easy mistake to make.

When I moved house recently I broke the jug on my filter machine, and Braun don't sell spares in the UK any more, so since then I've been using my stovetop espresso maker instead. It's a lot more hassle, with all the cleaning and stuff, which is why I so rarely used it before -- but I'm still glad about it because it's much nicer coffee.

Most of the time I still prefer tea, but I take coffee in the morning as my medicine for not being a morning person -- and of course coffee is still the principal raw material from which software is manufactured at the Empeg Towers plant.

Peter
Posted by: bonzi

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 06:59

Hey, where's espresso?

When it comes to coffee, I am not a racist . There are many ways of making good brew, but many more ways to spoil it. I generally enjoy these (but consider only first two 'real coffee'):

• Espresso and varieties (sometimes very short, strong and black, sometimes cappuccino, but sprinkled with cocoa, for goodness sake, not cinnamon!)
  • 'Turkish' (as we call it; one puts finely groung freshly roasted coffe and some sugar in thin-waled vessel (preferrably made of copper) and heats them untill sugar just begins to caramelize, then pours boiling water over it and brings everything to boil once or twice; let the stuff settle for a minute, perhaps carefully adding a few drops of cold water which promotes setling of grounds) Hint: don't use term 'Turkish coffee' when ordering this when on vacation in Larnaka, Cyprus
  • Instant, but only some of Nestle varieties. I have tried Jacobs, Maxell and countless others, but only Nestle bears any resemblance to real coffee
  • Nutritious stuff Austrians call coffee; one will find, obviously, lots of cream there, but don't be surprised at beaten eggs or even stranger things. Not coffee, really, more of liquid cake...
  • Anything alse containing caffeine will do, with cream and brown sugar
  • Posted by: jimhogan

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 08:22

8. Other:

Start with: Torrefazione Italia (half decaf) then use:
    best: French Press
    better:Melitta (easier grounds disposal for on-boat use)...or
    good: Capresso Elegance Therm for lazy automagic coffee making on a timer.
    Posted by: cushman

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 08:46

I use a coffee press with ground coffee from a local coffeshop.
    Posted by: wfaulk

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 10:44

But don't ask me to actually drink the stuff.
    Me, too. In addition to tasting like burnt water, it gives me worse indigestion/heartburn than anything else I've ever put in my mouth. I haven't had any coffee in about ten years, and if I ever have any more, it'll be too soon.
    Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 11:07

Espresso from a stove top maker on weekends, standard drip coffee with fresh ground 'french roast' (very dark) during the week. No time to make the espresso during the week. If I really need to get going, a 'red-eye' of 1 tall cup french roast with 3-4 espresso shots in a tall travel mug. Sugar, no milk/cream (although I used to use them). Never Dunkin Doughnuts (unless there is nothing else & no Mt. Dew avail) and NEVER the crap at the office.

-Zeke
    Posted by: jarob10

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 16:52

Pour the milk in before the water. Otherwise the first splash of milk will 'boil', marginally effecting taste.
    Posted by: genixia

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 21:00

Wet, hot, sweet.

If you're half way up a mountain freezing your nads off in the pouring rain and 20mph winds, there's only 5 kinds of coffee, and they rank as follows;

1) Coffee that is in your thermos.
    2) Coffee that is in your buddy's thermos.
    3) Coffee that is in the thermos belonging to any other person who is lunatic enough to be there.
    4) Coffee that you have to stop and make on a stove.
    5) Coffee that you have to walk to.

Posted by: Heather

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 21:08

Sending someone else out to buy me a cup.
    Posted by: jimhogan

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 30/03/2003 21:40

Sending someone else out to buy me a cup.

I just *love* sex-role-based contradichotomies.

Send me out! Make me write bad checks!

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 31/03/2003 03:31

I've been using a stovetop esspresso and i think I have the grounds too fine. It's a bit bitter.
    I also put the sugar in the cup then add the coffee then the milk, so all the sugar disolves fully.

Always beware of [spookey voice]caterers' blend[/spookey voice]
    Posted by: David

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 31/03/2003 05:03

Stove-top espresso is generally bitter anyway - it's ideal for cappuccino though. Try a corser grind, less coffee, or less water. The longer you try to extract flavour from the coffee, the more bitter it will become.
    Posted by: tonyc

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 31/03/2003 07:47

best: French Press
    That's "Freedom Press," no?

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 31/03/2003 08:07

That's "Freedom Press," no?

Ha!

Ummm, actually I think the local talk radio station rounded up all the Freedom Presses (I mean, how the heck do you tell 'em apart from French Presses?) and ran 'em all over with a Freedom Bulldozer.

My French Press is in hiding at an undisclosed location.

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 31/03/2003 09:38

I just *love* sex-role-based contradichotomies.

Send me out! Make me write bad checks!

You lost me Jim. Please explain.

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 31/03/2003 10:24

You lost me Jim. Please explain.

Oh, I lost myself, too, but your snappy "Sending someone else out to buy me a cup." cracked me up and for *some* (probably bad, dark) reason caused some stupid _Eating Raoul_ synapse to fire off.

I formed this image (Please don't hit me!!) of Heather pointing her finger at a nearby salesman (down on all fours of course!) and shouting "You! Coffee! Now!"
    Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 31/03/2003 10:38

Eating Raoul. What a classic B movie.

'Look honey, they're into doggies!'

I have to get that movie, most rental places don't have it.

-Zeke

quickie review: http://www.citypaper.com/2000-05-31/rewind2.html
    Posted by: Dylan

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 01/04/2003 11:47

I use a french press and a good burr grinder (the grinder is as important as the brewing device). I also roast my own beans. Freshly roasted beans taste fantastic but the reason I started doing it was for convenience and cost. I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and I never would use up the beans before the taste changed. I tried every method of freezing and airtight storage but there is no getting around the fact that roasted beans only stay fresh for a week - two at most. Plus it was a hassle to buy beans every week. Unroasted beans are good for a year or more. Now I roast what I need for a week and have better and cheaper coffee. If you appreciate good coffee you should check it out. Sweet Maria's is a good place to start.

-Dylan
    Posted by: Saddam_Hussein

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 01/04/2003 11:57

Personally I can't stand anything but the real fancy stuff. You know, like a nice caramel soy latte from Starbucks. Man I really wish that the Baghdad Starbucks wasn't bombed out the other day. It kind of messed up my morning routine.

-SH
    Posted by: SuperQ

Turkish - 01/04/2003 12:45

Turkish coffee is the best. It's too bad I cut caffine out of my diet. Too many headaches.

Hot/Cold press Vietnamese coffe is also good.

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 01/04/2003 14:50

Man I really wish that the Baghdad Starbucks wasn't bombed out the other day.

And it's not like you were going to get a latte here anyway!

No Frappucinos for you this long, hot summer. Maybe because YOU SUCK!
    Posted by: bonzi

Re: Turkish - 02/04/2003 03:46

Turkish coffee is the best. It's too bad I cut caffine out of my diet. Too many headaches.

Strange - I have headaches for lack of caffeine.

Hot/Cold press Vietnamese coffe is also good.

Ugh, the stuff I drank in Vietnam would have burned a hole in my stomach if I was not adding generous amount of condensed milk. The stronges coffee I ever had.

Posted by: boxer

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 02/04/2003 06:02

Pity you people don't like a teasmade to get you going in the morning, it's nearly as vibrant a community as the Empeg.

I'm for the best possible espresso machine, anything under £300 comes out weak and tepid, I sat in the dealership and tried all the machines - a Gaggia did it: With a matching grinder sitting next to it, that seems to help the taste greatly.

I use the stove top in the motorhome, in fairness, it tastes as good, but it's inconvenient (Except on warm days when you can walk to the sluice between cups!)

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 02/04/2003 19:43

I formed this image (Please don't hit me!!) of Heather pointing her finger at a nearby salesman (down on all fours of course!) and shouting "You! Coffee! Now!"

While the mental image works better with the guys I used to work with (most of them were shorter than me), the spazzes I currently call my sales staff can not accomplish even this simple task correctly. Trust me, I tried.

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 02/04/2003 23:40

and you trust them with hardware and money??!

Re: What's your favourite way of making coffee? - 03/04/2003 12:32

and you trust them with hardware and money??!

Not so much with money. Very little cash changes hands, and all paperwork goes through my hands at least twice now, since they have been stupid enough to release a car without a signed finance contact before.

Two steps foward, one step back. At least we've made some progress.