Good place to buy cheap tires?

Posted by: burdell1

Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 07:04

Does anyone know where a good place to buy cheap tires would be?
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 07:09

www.tirerack.com

They drop-ship tires to a local installer, and their prices beat any local tire shop that I've found. Great search features, reviews from owners, etc. Excellent site. I bought my winter snow tires and my all-seasons from them and had great experiences both times.
Posted by: burdell1

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 07:27

has anyone heard of Dayton or Duralon tires? are they any good?
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 07:29

WOW! Great site, Tony! Thanks for posting that. It does indeed have a great search function, and I found the tires that fit my vehicle. They had around 25 I could choose from, and none were above $125 (most were around $90!), which is considerably better than the usual $150 and over the dealership usually charges.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 07:35

Yeah. My first thought was that buying tires online seemed rather sketchy, but if I walk into a dealer or a local tire place, they're going to stock maybe 3 or 4 models that fit my car, and be able to order another 7 or 8 models. When I go on Tire Rack, there are 30 or 40, and I can filter them by whatever, see the speed/traction ratings, and get subjective reviews from people who've already driven on them, some of whom have even done so with the same model car I own. When you factor in the price difference, it's a no-brainer. They have a lot of installers too, at least in my area.

Oh yeah, pay attention to their warranty ratings, too. They do a good job of evaluating which waranties actually mean something versus the ones that don't protect you at all.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 07:49

Well, the next time they decide to tear up the entire road I take every day and my tires get ripped apart, I'll try to remember this place
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 08:14

I buy all my tires from Tire Rack. Their customer service is great too. A few months ago I spent about 3 weeks looking for the best price on a few different tires, I started with, and ended up at Tire Rack.
Posted by: Banacek

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 10:53

I've been using Tire Rack for years. It's great, for any car or tire you need (I sound like a commerical)
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 16:45

Only 2 models that fit my car? Am I doing something wrong? '89 Chevy S-10 Blazer 2WD...

EDIT: ok...so it's old...but still...
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 16:52

I see three, including an R-speed-rated tire, which probably wasn't included in your search. Weird. I've got almost the exact same car except a few years earlier and it's got 235/75 15s, whereas TireRack claims yours has 195/75 15s, which sounds unlikely. (It also shows mine as being those narrow ones, so it looks like they're wrong.) I'd go out and read your tires or your manual and see what it really needs.

BTW, it's got 102 different 235/75 15 models.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 17:05

Hmm...right now it has 215/75's on it. The manual, of course, does not give a size.

There are 44 matches for that size
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 17:07

I went and checked. My manual doesn't either. But it does list about 15 different wheels you can put on it, so I'd go with whatever's on there now. There's 57 of yours.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 24/06/2003 21:01

www.tirerack.com

If you have one handy, America's Tire/Discount Tire will price match Tirerack.com or at least they have for me and a couple of other people I talked to. Saves you the sketchiness of having to order a bulky, expensive item online.

-Mike
Posted by: FlibblE

Re: Good place to buy cheap tires? - 25/06/2003 04:57

Sometimes it says on the edge of the door - where the tyre pressure / weight / etc is stamped on a plate.