Samba help

Posted by: eliceo

Samba help - 09/07/2003 14:45

I am trying to setup a share on a redhat machine, that can be read by windows machines. I have tried to setup samba and the share correctly but I think my inexperience with linux has got me stuck. Does anyone know of some links that can explain the use of samba, or someone who can kindly explain what i need to do to get a share working and visible. I can ping the machine, but trying to access with \\ ip address\ wont work.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 15:01

Did you read this?

The Unofficial Samba HOWTO
Posted by: cushman

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 15:03

Get swat up and running, and your life will be happy again. It gives you a control panel for Samba via a webpage. See the man page for swat for more info. Then point your web browser at http://yourmachine:901/ to access swat.

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 15:07

Yeah, more things to go wrong. Great. I've never found swat to be good for initial setup, and I find it to be pointless for config changes.

I'd say ignore swat altogether and just read the documentation.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 15:19

I just find it faster for me, since I can configure it on the fly from the target machine (usually windows). I thought it was quite simple and easy to use.
Posted by: muzza

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 15:47

Are you able to use [url=http://www.webmin.com/]webmin[/url}?
I've found it easy to set up things in linux in general. There are a few tricks for samba, but it has all the parameters there.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 16:03

Being that it is a RedHat machine, how is the firewall configured? I know every recent version has had a Firewall on by default during install. Not sure how to turn it off though, as all my installs have been on test networks where I simply disable it during install.

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 16:11

in 'setup' I choose no firewall, but everytime i run 'setup' it seems to reset to high.
Posted by: ricin

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 17:11

Lokkit ('lokkit or 'redhat-config-securitylevel') sets up iptables in RH. You'll want to check what's currently in there ('iptables -L'), and depending on how secure you want it to remain, either add a rule for Samba or remove everything ('iptables -F'). You'll want to check /etc/sysconfig/iptables as well, and clear it out if you're deleting everything.

See here for more info.

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 17:16

God, I hate RedHat. It's turning into Microsoft -- I know what it is you want to do and how to do it! Bastards.
Posted by: ricin

Re: Samba help - 09/07/2003 17:18

Yep, I can't stand it either. Unfortunately, it's a standard at my company, so I'm forced to use it. (Except on my workstation, I've got Gentoo there. )

Thanks - 10/07/2003 12:33

Thanks to everyone for the responses, finally got the stupid thing working. The knowlege of the people on this board is pretty wide.