Quick NT Routing question

Posted by: jmwking

Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 10:09

My ISP accidently killed the T-1 in one of my satellite offices. I need to get some quick and dirty IP routing going between corporate office and satellite office.

I have a Windows NT machine (primarily used for PC Anywhere) available the satellite office, and pretty much whatever I need here in my corporate office. We run Netware servers, but I don't have any NIAS installed, and I don't relish installing that remotely.

Do any of you know how I can set up a dial up connection between the two offices, and route IP between the two subnets, or can you point me to a cookbook reference? I do a little cisco and firewall stuff, and know my way around basic IP routing, but have never set up an NT box to do RAS.

thanks,

-jk
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 10:17

The services you need to install on NT are called "Routing and Remote Access" or RRAS, and I'm not sure if they're on the NT installation CD or if they're on the NT resource kit CD.
Posted by: crazymelki

Re: Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 10:25

Hi,

The codename for RRAS with WinNT was "Steelhead".

I found that for you:http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/155/10/1.html
bye

Re: Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 10:43

Thanks for the link.

Uh, oh. Does it work on NT Workstation, or NT Server only? I got an error message when I tried to install it - the machine is NT workstation (my bad - I failed to mention that in my original post).

I want to pull my hair out!

-jk
Posted by: tman

Re: Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 10:48

It's probably a Server only option. Microsoft limited the kernel in Workstation so you wouldn't be able to use it for any server type duties. There are some registry settings you can change to remove these limitations but I can't quite remember what they were.
Posted by: crazymelki

Re: Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 10:52

You need also SP5 or higher....

bye

Re: Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 10:57

You need also SP5 or higher....
That part I have. Sigh.

I'll keep plugging away at it on google. Maybe I can come up with something.

thanks,

-jk
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Quick NT Routing question - 16/07/2003 12:09

You need a modem router like the 3Com OfficeConnect 3C888US. They're about $300, and there may be some that are cheaper. If you have a dial-up server (or can configure one) at the home office you can have the remote office dial right in. I don't think there's a way to make an NT workstation box act as a router to a dial-up. If you give your new modem router the same IP address as your T1 firewall/gateway then you don't have to reconfigure any of the client machines. I don't have this model (rather an old WebRamp), but they are very simple to set up, a consideration if you don't have skilled personnell at the remote site.

If the NT boxen were getting security authorization from the home office over the T1 then I might think about configuring the Domain server for slow links.

-Zeke

That, or install Linux on your NT Workstation box!