ogg content type?

Posted by: mschrag

ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 06:00

So I wrote an app for the Karma to stream music off of it ... It works fine for MP3, but fails for OGG. Is it possible I have the wrong content type? Anyone see anything obviously wack about the header returned when requesting an ogg:

MP3: (works)
GET /streamFile?fid=4336

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Connection: close
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 4978688
Content-Type: audio/mpeg
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=Track 4.mp3

...music data...

OGG: (does not work)
GET /streamFile?fid=6256

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Connection: close
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 4915296
Content-Type: application/ogg
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=track 7.ogg

...music data...

Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 06:04

Case sensitivity on the track name? Is the MIME type right: application/ogg?

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 06:15

application/ogg came from an RFC that I found on ogg ... I noticed that I didn't have a mapping in my registery for that type, though ... I set that up, but still no dice. Maybe I'll hunt around in winamp and see if I can figure out what mime type it expects. Has anyone streamed an ogg in winamp before?
Posted by: mlord

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 06:33

Have't tried it here.

But I would expect application/x-ogg or application/x-vorbis to work.

Speaking of which, on the player, what is the tag type for an ogg? Is it "ogg", or "vorbis" (in the tag file). I want to add three lines to Hijack's webserver for them.

Cheers

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 06:54

Oopps..

I meant to say: audio/x-ogg would be the most correct content-type (mime) for ogg files.

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 06:55

And here is the official word on ogg..

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200305/msg00012.html

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 07:05

On the Karma, codec=vorbis . I could have sworn it used to be codec=ogg, but that's not true currently. I assume the Empeg is the same.

ms

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 07:10

Cool -- I'll try these out and see which one is the most successful.

Incidentally, application/ogg may be technically correct, but it certainly SEEMS wrong to me... audio/ogg seems more appropriate. but oh well.
Posted by: peter

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 07:27

audio/ogg seems more appropriate. but oh well.
But the Ogg container could in theory contain a Theora video file rather than a Vorbis audio file. Only a, er, application would be able to tell...

Peter

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 07:33

Yeah.

Note that application/ogg is brand spanking new, and probably not supported yet by many (most?) players out there. I think audio/x-ogg is probably the most common. The x- part means "use an external player rather than the built-in browser support, if any" (I think).

From grepping through the v3a3 player binary, it appears that vorbis is indeed the tag type on the Empeg as well.

Cheers

Re: ogg content type? - 09/10/2003 07:37

Ah ha. Of course