smarts

Posted by: Phoenix42

smarts - 03/02/2005 17:42

Sh!t really flows down hill, and currently I seem to be the person at the bottom of the hill.
My boss has asked me to looking into the company called smarts and applying their software - of course this is all greek to me as my primary job is as our groups Software Release Engineer. Some how I've become a New Technology Officer.

So if anyone has used there software and can give me a 101 on the company I'll buy the beer.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: smarts - 03/02/2005 18:49

wow, more useless crap middleware.. it's amazing what stupid managment will buy these days.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: smarts - 03/02/2005 18:57

Yeah, I love the business model of purchasing a product and then figuring out what to do with it.

Re: smarts - 03/02/2005 19:14

Well we went one worse, we bought the company

So the crap is probably free for us to use, as to whether it will make my life better is a whole other thing.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: smarts - 03/02/2005 19:31

You work for EMC? I'm sorry

Buying DG was probably the worst thing I've ever seen them do.

no wait.. allowing dell to re-brand DG disk was FAR worse.

Re: smarts - 03/02/2005 20:17

It could be worse.....can't it?
Posted by: bonzi

Re: smarts - 03/02/2005 20:40

Middleware? Sounds more like monitoring/management thing to me, something like Patrol. Networking gear, server heartbeats, net throughput, app response times... Though, with marketingspeech white noise* as dense as that on the first few pages, it is hard to tell... But, I have encountered quite useful products before where one couldn't tell what the heck they were about before reaching about tenth level of web pages.

*) Quote: automated actionable intelligence Aaaaarhg!
Posted by: andym

Re: smarts - 04/02/2005 07:08

Quote:
*) Quote: automated actionable intelligence Aaaaarhg!

Sounds like a guy in our department, he's always rolling things forward, off lining, doing some blue sky thinking, making sure we all working off the same hymn sheet. He used to be normal, then he went on a management course and he's never been the same since. The sad thing is he's the one upper management listen to because he speaks the same rubbish as them.