Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD)

Posted by: pgrzelak

Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 10/02/2005 16:33

Greetings!

What is the current favorite disk wipe utility?

I am migrating to a new PC in the office, and I would like to run a utility (preferably from a bootable USB Key or CD-ROM) that will obliterate all of the data. It does not need to be military spec, but it would be nice if it was. Freeware or reasonably priced downloadware is prefered. Thanks!
Posted by: ricin

Re: Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 10/02/2005 16:52

The Ultimate Boot CD.
Posted by: webroach

Re: Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 10/02/2005 17:09

I'm pretty sure this will do what you need.

Granted, not bootable, but it is DOD spec. Works fairly fast, and you have a lot of flexibility. And it's free!
Posted by: mlord

Re: Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 10/02/2005 17:49

I generally boot from any handy Linux installation CD (or a KNOPPIX disc), and then just do: cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 10/02/2005 19:16

Robricc sent me a great little thing over email one time (I had to turn off virus scanning to get it through), that did a great job. It also scared me a bit Sorry, but I can't remember what it was called.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 10/02/2005 19:30

The filename was hdkill.com or hd_kill.com

I am trying to find a copy of it...
Posted by: frog51

Re: Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 11/02/2005 11:18

Dependant on requirements a couple of repetitions of /dev/null alternated with /dev/random will help to destroy data to a reasonable forensic level, and I think the latest Knoppix may have a DOD equivalent eraser.

Of course if you have nothing confidential then /dev/null will be ample.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Question: Preferred Disk Wipe Utilities (bootable CD) - 11/02/2005 12:02

Greetings!

Thanks for the help! I standardized on the "Ultimate CD" solution, because it has Darik's Boot & Nuke along with a whole ton of other useful tools on it.

This was for both personal (donating an old machine to charity and want to wipe my data) and the office (finally a machine at work with something more than a Pentium II and a 4GB hard drive!!!).

Thanks again!