Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA?

Posted by: julf

Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA? - 16/02/2005 14:01

Problem: I have a ProGear tablet still running Win98. Except that it has been updated to Second Edition. And with one of the upgrades, Windows stopped accepting the driver for the Orinoco WiFi card. So no network. Only other connection is USB - and no drivers for any reasonable floppy, flash or CDROM drive. So up manure creek.

Possible solution: It *does* have IrDA. And I have another ProGear with W2K, and a working WiFi connection. But... I can't get them to talk to each other. Smells like permission/access problem, as the win98 machine every now and then sees the W2K machine for a brief instant - so the hardware works, but it seems like the W2K machine refuses the connection. Anyone with experience of IrDA on W2K?
Posted by: peter

Re: Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA? - 16/02/2005 14:19

Sounds like another job for Super Maplins External IDE Adapter Thing. IIRC taking Frontpaths apart enough to take the winchester out isn't that hard.

Peter

Re: Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA? - 16/02/2005 15:23

Quote:
IIRC taking Frontpaths apart enough to take the winchester out isn't that hard

Probably what I'll end up doing. But it's annoying - finally there would have been a way to use the otherwise useless IrDA ports...
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA? - 16/02/2005 15:38

Quote:
Only other connection is USB - and no drivers for any reasonable floppy, flash or CDROM drive.

But what about drivers for a USB WiFi adapter?
Posted by: tman

Re: Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA? - 16/02/2005 16:00

If it doesn't have a generic USB MSC driver for a flash drive then it's highly unlikely it'll be able to use a WiFi dongle.
Posted by: tman

Re: Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA? - 16/02/2005 16:01

You got any CF or any other flash memory cards? If so, put it into a PCMCIA adapter and use that.

Re: Win98 (SE) <-> W2K over IrDA? - 16/02/2005 16:09

Quote:
You got any CF or any other flash memory cards? If so, put it into a PCMCIA adapter and use that.

Access to the PCMCIA requires opening the unit - might as well rip out the HD in that case