Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12.

Posted by: tfabris

Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 17:57

I got to level 12 all by my lonesome. But now can't seem to get past it. Anyone else?

http://www.etienne.nu/imagepuz/

By the way, some of the levels are skewed towards people running IE on Windows. A friend with a Mac needed to jump through more hoops on a couple of the puzzles than I did.
Posted by: andy

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 18:31

Some of the URLs are case sensitive...

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 18:40

I cheated on lots of the image ones. Managed to do the code one myself though. Can't be arsed with the math ones.

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 18:44

Quote:
Some of the URLs are case sensitive...

Heh, thanks. I'd tried the variants of I, L, and 1 by themselves, and none worked. Didn't realize the one-pixel black border to the left was a letter L, otherwise I would have seen it sooner.

Spent a lot of time trying to get the two halves of the image to produce characters via variations on an interference pattern. My history of playing "Impossible Mission" on the C-64 actually hurt me there. Darn.

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 18:46

Quote:
I cheated on lots of the image ones.

Cheated? How?

If you mean putting them into photoshop and mucking with them, I'm pretty sure that was absolutely necessary to solve them, is part of the puzzle, and is not cheating.

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 19:03

Okay, got through the code ones, too. Not interested in the math ones, either.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 19:16

wonder if that's why I found some very difficult - up to 5 was easy and a couple of the others were fine (missed out some - followed b3ta.com to some of the higher ones) but found some just baffling. That one with all the coloured lines - wtf?? Lost me completely
Posted by: andym

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 19:56

I'm thinking a combination of OS X and Firefox have thwarted my attempts to get past stage 5. I get the feeling I need to use the funny halftoning effect you get in IE when you drag over an image. I'll have to give it a try at work.

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 20:12

Quote:
I get the feeling I need to use the funny halftoning effect you get in IE when you drag over an image.

Yup, that's one of the windows-centric ones.

You can jump through hoops in photoshop to get that one to work for you, merely overlay the image with a crosshatch pattern.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 20:42

Quote:
That one with all the coloured lines - wtf??

Is that #7? In that case, I'm stuck there too.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 17/02/2005 20:50

Quote:
Is that #7? In that case, I'm stuck there too.

Think about the file itself, rather than the image...
Posted by: adavidw

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 18/02/2005 05:05

Something about the gamma on my ibook made Stage 9 really easy, though. The letters were plain as day obvious as soon as the picture loaded. Probably means my display's totally out of calibration, though...

One other problem I'm having with it is that color blindness is kind of hampering me a bit on one or two of the stages.

[Edited because plane is the thing that flies. Plain goes with obvious.]

Re: Frustrating puzzle of the day at which I am stuck on level 12. - 18/02/2005 05:56

Quote:
Cheated? How?

Google found me a forum where people were trying to solve the puzzles.