Ways to make voice recording on the computer sound better?

Posted by: burdell1

Ways to make voice recording on the computer sound better? - 18/05/2005 03:06

I was trying to do some voice recording on my computer, so I used a cheap microphone and it didn't work very well....so I bought a better one, but it still sounded the same (very muffled.) I am using the sound card that is built into my motherboard. Is there a better program to use to do voice recording (I was just using the 'sound recorder' program.)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Ways to make voice recording on the computer sound better? - 18/05/2005 05:17

Define "Muffled"?

If you are talking about the recording volume level being simply "too quiet", there is a quick fix.

Go into the volume control applet (I'm on Win2k so I don't know exactly what XP looks like, but anyway, get it by double-clicking on the little speaker doohickey in the task bar) and go Options, Properties, Adjust Volume for: Recording, OK. Now it should show a level thingy for the microphone. Increase that, and also play with its "advanced" option of the +20db mic boost.

If you are talking about the timbre of the recorded audio as opposed to its volume level, then you're back to the mic.
Posted by: burdell1

Re: Ways to make voice recording on the computer sound better? - 18/05/2005 12:10

it isn't quiet, it is just that it sounds like there is a shirt over the microphone or something.....I could try my old sound card in it, but I'd rather not have to use that......any ideas on what might be causing it?
Posted by: Attack

Re: Ways to make voice recording on the computer sound better? - 18/05/2005 12:30

I have this usb microphone and it sounds really good.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Ways to make voice recording on the computer sound better? - 18/05/2005 17:45

I assume since it's USB it requires no extra batteries?
Posted by: Attack

Re: Ways to make voice recording on the computer sound better? - 18/05/2005 19:18

Quote:
I have this usb microphone and it sounds really good.

Correct.
Just install drivers and plug in to a USB port.