Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet?

Posted by: mlord

Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 21/08/2005 00:43

Okay, so I'm at the far end of The Valley from Loren.. maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere (Candlestick.. err.. "3COM".. park, perhaps?).

Anyone for Sushi? I'm here until Friday.

Cheers
Posted by: robricc

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 21/08/2005 01:01

Quote:
Anyone for Sushi? I'm here until Friday

Damn, I'll be there Friday night. My schedule is going to be pretty jammed, so probably couldn't hang out anyway.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 21/08/2005 04:19

I'm definitly up for something. Any evening besides tomorrow works for me. I spend time in Berkeley and San Jose, so anywhere in the area is fine.

Matthew
Posted by: loren

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 21/08/2005 04:31

I'm good anywhere in between, and love me some sushi. And... I think it's Monster Park now...
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 21/08/2005 05:57

Quote:
I think it's Monster Park now...

Named for monster.com ? I wouldn't think they would have any money to pay for that.
Posted by: jbauer

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 21/08/2005 07:08

I'm game for Monday night... possibly another night.

- Jon

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 21/08/2005 19:22

I'm thinking Tuesday night, if that works for others here.

I'm staying at the Biltmore Hotel near SJC airport, busy with work until after 5pm each day. Somebody local needs to figure out a nice place for us all to gather. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you guys!

Cheers
Posted by: ricin

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 22/08/2005 03:02

Oh, awesome. I'm definitely in. Only problem is my work schedule. I might not be able to make it. It depends on what time you all decide on.
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 22/08/2005 14:30

I'm in! Pick a night, any night.
I'm not familiar enough with the sushi world to suggest a destination, though.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 22/08/2005 14:59

Quote:
I'm thinking Tuesday night, if that works for others here.

I'm staying at the Biltmore Hotel near SJC airport, busy with work until after 5pm each day. Somebody local needs to figure out a nice place for us all to gather. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you guys!

Cheers

Monday and Thursday work for me. If that's not good for y'all, I'll understand... :-(

- Jon

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 22/08/2005 19:47

Tuesday works for me, but any day is fine. My two favorites for sushi are Sushi Coast by the airport and Yuki Sushi in Santa Clara. Sushi Coast is a small lunch type place that stays open for dinner and is nice and affordable. It's also right accross the street from my Girlfriend's appartment, so I'm a regular. Yuki Sushi has better sushi, but it's a bit more expensive. They're both not too large, but can probably handle a group of 8 or so.

Anyone else know any Sushi places in the south bay?

Matthew

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 22/08/2005 19:59

Oh, there's also the very trendy Blowfish Sushi at Santana Row (the new upscale Lifestyle Center). I've never been, and I can't see much of their damn flash website, though they do offer a menu download without entering the site, which is kind of them.

Matthew
Posted by: rbenech

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 22/08/2005 22:04

Doh! Tuesday won't work for me (unless it is after 8)... Thrusday or Friday is pretty much it unless we can do it after 8pm... I've eaten in some of the south bay sushi places (there are hundreads) and can recommend Sushi Lovers (but w/ bad parking at Mercado center), Hana Maki Sushi (a bit overpriced), or Sushi Boat Kazoo or Kazoo Shushi Boat... I know the owners (Kazoo's), but won't admit to it If I go, they were close family friends of my ex-wife...

So, I'm down for trying Sushi Coast or Yuki Sushi... but I'd prefer to save my $$$ and skip Blowfish in santa row.. you will need resevations for Blowfish as it is the probably the trendyest spot in San Jose. Just set a date/time and I'll se if I can make it...

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 22/08/2005 23:55

Hi,

Okay DEFINITELY Tuesday evening, then. Unless somebody votes for Wednesday.

Now we just need a venue -- Sushi is good, and the places near San Jose are obviously great for me, since I'm staying here and working here. But we might consider somewhere a few minutes more towards SF if we want to lure Loren out of hiding as well. Besides, I'd kinda like to me his gir.. errr.. the guy himself .

Hopefully others will also chip into this thread tonight. I think we'll agree on something tonight, and before midnight firm up the details here.

Cheers

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 02:40

Yeah... A bit closer to me would make it a possibility. Problem I'm lookin' at (on top of not wanting to burn the gas to San Jose) is Kelly doesn't get out of her clinic rotation in Berkeley until 7ish which puts her back in SF around 8ish... so I couldn't commit to being in San Jose until 9:30ish... which is pretty late. Either way it'd have to be 8:30ish at the earliest. If that won't fly I don't want everyone to have to work around my schedule...

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 02:59

Mmmm.. Thursday night is out for me -- gotta get to the airport by 04:30 Friday AM to ensure enough time to clear security (that "hijack" thing haunts me yet!) for my 06:30 flight outta here.

I suppose the same hours and stuff apply for Wednesday as well, Loren?

Assuming that's the case, then .. next time, perhaps.

Meanwhile, Tuesday night Sushi out in this end of the valley.

How about we start at Sushi Coast at 7pm or so. I'll wear my RioCar black vest for rendezvous purposes, and will hang out outside until one or two of you find me.

EDIT: moved to Wednesday night --> see follow-ups below to vote on a venue.

Cheers!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 03:23

Same hours don't apply Wed... which is wide open.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 05:12

Tuesday or Wednesday is fine by me. I'll be there tomorrow at 7 unless I hear otherwise.

Matthew

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 12:18

Okay, Wednesday, 7pm.

Now we just need to agree on the venue. Some place more towards SF would be better for people in that direction I suppose. Could someone propose something out that way, perhaps.

Or maybe near the Santa Cruz boardwalk on the ocean could be nice. Anything, really. I'd prefer seafood of some kind, but really even burgers in a pinch!

Cheers
Posted by: n6mod

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 15:24

Hugo tipped me off to this....I'll be there.

I work quite near Mark's hotel, so anywhere he can get to, I can get to. (and I live near Santa Cruz, so that works..though traffic will be a factor)

Ideal Fish in Santa Cruz would be the best choice for seafood down that way, it's right at the base of the pier.

Going north for Loren's benefit... Seems like there should be good stuff in Palo Alto and surrounding areas, but I'm drawing a blank.

What about downtown SJ? We could meet down there and wing it...lots of stuff within a few blocks.

(Loren...we could collect you from Caltrain if need be)

-Zandr

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 16:26

Fuki-Sushi is by far the best sushi in Palo Alto. It can be a bit pricy, but hey, it's GOOOD... I can make it by 7:30 on Wednesday... and I'll be bringing a guest if you want to get a table before I get there...

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 17:35

Seafood in Santa Cruz sounds great. If I'm looking for seafood in San Jose, I drive 45 minutes to Moss Landing to go to Phil's Fish Market. However, by then it really wouldn't be a Silicon Valley meet. If everyone's up for santa cruz, that's fine with me. Otherwise Fuki Sushi in Palo Alto is probably more convenient and looks really good.

Matthew

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 18:18

Palo Alto can do Santa Cruz can't. But as I mentioned... if you guys wanna hit Santa Cruz for some seafood please don't change on my account. Fuki Sushi looks pretty good.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 18:27

Santa Cruz is about as practical as Mars- the ride over the hill with the commute traffic would be hell. Much nicer than Mars, though.
I think there's enough in the south bay and lower peninsula to feed us well.
I vote for Palo Alto- I'll be coming from work in Livermore. Arrival to PA around 7ish.
For Sea Food, there's the Fish Market on El Camino just south of Page Mill Rd.
Heh- Fry's is just across the street!
Sushi- not really into it, but won't vote against.
Mexican- Compadres! I haven't been there in a couple years it seems. Also on the El Camino north of Arastradero.
I'm up for anything.
Posted by: shadow45

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 21:25

He isn't kidding. one of the most blood-pumping parts of my trip to Cali last month was going through those mountains on 17 to Santa Cruz.. what a trip that road is!

it sucks during the day with the snarling traffic.. stop and go around the bends, heavy on the braking.

at night, wow, that road is a rush to drive!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 21:53

So, the Fish Market or Fuki Sushi? Mark, since you're the visitor why don't you choose?

About 17, It's gotten much better since the so called dot com implosion. You can usualy sneak over it at rush hour without any problems. Sometimes there's a bit of a slowdown on the aproach out of san jose, but that's short lived. The thing to watch out for is weekend traffic on a sunny day. Then you can be stop and go for quite a while. It's a beautiful and fun drive though.

Matthew

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 22:37

Uhh, 17 is the boring, straight road to Santa Cruz.

Come play on 9 some time.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 23/08/2005 23:52

Okay folks, Fuki Sushi, Wednesday, 7:15pm. Matthew, could you perhaps do an approximate head count and then call them to see if we'll need a reservation (and make one for us all) ??

EDIT: And if it's not too late, how about putting the reservation under "Empeg" (or Mr. Empeg, with apologies to Hugo) so that we can all find each other inside as we stagger in on staggered arrivals!

Thanks!
Posted by: shadow45

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 00:12

Through the mountains? I thought it was 17. there wasn't one straight part the entire length through it... and tons of jerks accelerating and braking constantly.

then again, i'm from Florida. hills are foreign to my kind

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 00:23

Quote:
Through the mountains? I thought it was 17. there wasn't one straight part the entire length through it... and tons of jerks accelerating and braking constantly.

then again, i'm from Florida. hills are foreign to my kind

He was being a smart-alec. Highway 9 is smaller and curvier than 17.
More charm, fewer jerks. 17 is 'straight' by comparison, but 9 isn't the rocket ride (traffic allowing) that 17 is.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 00:27

Fuki-Sushi Homepage
Google map!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 00:57

count me for 2.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 02:09

Count me in, tentatively. I'll be there with a friend, if I can leave work by 1730.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 02:23

So, I've got:

definitly:
me
Mark
Loren & Kelly

probably:
Donato
Robotic
Zandr

Probably Not:
Jon Bauer
Ryan Benech

So that's seven probably/definitly and two maybes. Are any of those singles a "plus one"? I made a reservation for 10 people. I told them I'd call tomorrow with a more exact number of people.

So who's definitly in? If you can't commit, don't worry, I'm sure we'll be able to sqeeze you in, just about any place is easier than the House of Nanking. (Disclaimer: Linked album doesn't actually contain pictures of the crowded HoN table)

Anyone's welcome, quiet-ones who've never posted to poo-bah's and carpal tunnels. Don't feel like you can't come because you don't own an empeg or havn't installed your empeg, we love to evangelize to a newcomer.

Matthew

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 02:27

Thanks, Matthew!

And perhaps put the reservation under "Mr. Empeg", as per my addendum above.

Cheers!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 03:57

I'll attempt to put the reservation under Empeg tomorrow. Worst case I'll tell them when we get there to send anyone for Empeg our way.

I've PM'ed everyone with my cell phone number just in case. I'll have my GPS with me and be able to give anyone directions to the restaraunt from anywhere in California if you're lost and trying to find the place. If you're busy till later and want to give us a call to see if we're still there or have moved on to a different location feel free to give me a call.

Post if you're thinking about coming, I'll be checking the board up till 5 or so tomorrow, and if it's after that just head on down.

Matthew

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 04:01

I'm in, and it's just me.

See you at 7:15.

-Z

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 04:25

Quote:
17 is 'straight' by comparison, but 9 isn't the rocket ride (traffic allowing) that 17 is.

You brake for the corners, don't you. IMO, 9 is much more of a rocket ride...but then I drive it every day.

Yes, I'm being a Smart-Alek. (Gotta live up to the name, after all)

I commute from Boulder Creek, and the commute pace on 9 would turn most flatlanders white. Ask Hugo.

- Aleksandr

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 13:58

I'll see you all at Kooki-Fushi around 7ish.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 14:02

Quote:
You brake for the corners, don't you. IMO, 9 is much more of a rocket ride...but then I drive it every day.
Yes, I'm being a Smart-Alek. (Gotta live up to the name, after all)
I commute from Boulder Creek, and the commute pace on 9 would turn most flatlanders white. Ask Hugo.
- Aleksandr

Of course 9 is more fun- but it can't be easily driven at normal freeway speeds, where 17 can be.
That's the distinction I was hoping to make- speed.
See you tonight!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 15:34

Damn. Can't make it tonight. Have fun y'all.

9 is more fun on 2 wheels, btw... :-)

- Jon

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 16:35

Count me in + 1, but I know I'll be at least 10 minutes late... btw, I'm "Ryan" & I'm bringing my girlfriend Simone... besides, I've got to show up to the venue that I suggested, just like the last couple bay area mini-meets... I did come down with the sniffles this morning, so if things turn for the worst, I'll have to bail...

Loren, In case I forget to ask at dinner, did you participate in the kite-boarding competition in the bay (article) last week? It looked hella-fun... even for spectators!
Posted by: music

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 17:02

Matthew, I'll be there, too.

See you at 7:15.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 18:11

Great, so Donato is my only question mark. Should be a good crowd! See you all there.

Matthew

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 20:10

Quote:
Loren, In case I forget to ask at dinner, did you participate in the kite-boarding competition in the bay (article) last week? It looked hella-fun... even for spectators!

Nah, I've forsaken kiteboarding for paragliding.. sold all my gear. Rob Vreeland was one of the photographers of the even though... he got some good stuff. Speaking of paragliding, there's going to be a demo event at Mussel Rock this coming weekend where you can get $50 tandems... you guys should come check it out.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 21:16

I'm now +2 as Kelly is bringing a last minute friend. Hope that's OK!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 21:26

Welp, someone made up my mind for me. I was laid-off this morning around 1130. SO, I won't be coming.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 22:33

agh! Sorry to hear it man. You should still come... I'll pitch in some for your meal! You should celebrate... don't get down about it. I know this isn't the case for everyone ... but my being laid off was the best thing that's happened to me in a LONG time.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 22:41

if it's not too late, I might try and make an appearance, I already have dinner plans, so no food for me.

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 22:56

Quote:
Welp, someone made up my mind for me. I was laid-off this morning around 1130. SO, I won't be coming.

11:30? That just means you'll beat us all there!
I wish I got off at 11:30!

Like Loren says- it's an opportunity, not something to get down about! You've been freed to find something else more to your liking!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 24/08/2005 23:37

Thanks for the offer! However, it's a bit too late for me to make it up there now.

Something amazing has happened in the past few hours; I've managed to get three offers already! I'm going tomorrow morning to discuss the details of one of the more promising offers. There is a potential fourth that said they'd get back to me tomorrow as well. Wow...

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 25/08/2005 03:11

See? All that panic for naught, and you missed a great sushi dinner besides!

Thanks to Matthew for setting this up tonight. It was great to finally meet Kelly, and oh yeah.. all you gee^H^Huys, too!

Cheers!

Re: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) mini-meet? - 25/08/2005 14:39

Another great evening spent with Empeggers.
Good to
( ) see again
and
( ) meet for the first time
all of you.