You spin me right (or left) round, baby...

Posted by: tonyc

You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 03:48

In which direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) is the dancer pirouetting?

Posted by: andy

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 03:57

Spoiler:
pybpxjvfr
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 07:10

Quote:
Spoiler:
pybpxjvfr

Keep watching, I did this a couple of months ago and it took a couple of minutes for me.

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 09:05

freaky
Posted by: Dignan

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 11:27

Neat! I had to force myself to think she was spinning the opposite direction I thought she was (the wrong direction).

Also interesting: if you saw her spin the wrong direction at first, then were able to see her spin the right way, try seeing her spin the wrong way again. It was hard for me to do, even though that's how I saw her for a couple minutes...
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 12:15

Maybe I'm wierd, but I don't see anything strange about it. I immediately picked the correct direction and can't fathom how anyone could pick any other direction.

I just don't see it.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 12:23

I imagine that the point is that there really are no cues that she's spinning clockwise other than that her hand and leg are in a leeward direction. There's no reason she couldn't be spinning against the grain. That said, I cannot even force my brain to see her spinning any way other than clockwise.

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 12:24

Quote:
Spoiler:
pybpxjvfr

Spoilering something when the only two options are a 9-letter word and a 16-letter word doesn't really hide anything. I suppose it would be only 13 letters for you, though.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 12:41

Quote:
I imagine that the point is that there really are no cues that she's spinning clockwise other than that her hand and leg are in a leeward direction. There's no reason she couldn't be spinning against the grain. That said, I cannot even force my brain to see her spinning any way other than clockwise.

That's the idea - there is no "correct" direction, but the way the body is posed leads the brain to think it is rotating clockwise. However staring at it seems to reset something, and it slows and then flips somehow, it's quite impressive. If you are having trouble getting it to do it automatically try staring at it and blank your mind for a couple of minutes, don't try and follow it.
Posted by: furtive

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 12:57

Nope, don't get it - she is only going clockwise

EDIT: oop - there she goes!
Posted by: Robotic

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 13:05

My first impression was that she turned counter-clockwise and I couldn't convince myself that it was possible for her to be turning clockwise.
A moment later she was turning clockwise and I couldn't remember any of my arguments against it! I guess it helps that I'm still a bit groggy without a cup of coffee.

Perhaps more important questions are "Who is she?" and "What's her number?"
LOL

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 13:16

She also appears to be able to levitate. Certainly a talented lady
Posted by: tonyc

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 13:19

Quote:
I just don't see it.

One thing that helped me was to scroll down so just the shadow is visible, and focus on the rotation of that. If I do that, I can basically "turn it around" and convince whatever portion of my brain handles these important matters that she's spinning the other way.

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 13:54

I found looking to the left of the image allowed me to see it going anti-clockwise, and looking to the right of it clockwise
Posted by: cushman

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 14:16

She's turning... breasts... uhhh... what was the question?
Posted by: DWallach

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 14:46

I couldn't make it work both ways until I tried tonyc's trick. Fun stuff.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 15:12

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/mstfaq/bots.html

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 15:23

Yeah, this is all variation on the idea of the Necker cube.
Posted by: Folsom

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 18:10

If I stare at her bottom foot, I can make it look like her raised leg is going left and right with her back toward me. That is kinda freaky.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 09/10/2007 18:38

I hate you.
Posted by: lectric

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 03:47

10 minutes of staring, and she's still spinning clockwise... I dunno. I just don't see it.

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 06:46

You aren't the only one, furtive posted the animation on another bbs and some people there are on the verge of getting angry about the fact that they almost think that the rest of us are making it up
Posted by: tman

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 07:07

Quote:
10 minutes of staring, and she's still spinning clockwise... I dunno. I just don't see it.

What he said.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 07:12

I was staring at it last night as she spun clockwise, thinking there was no way you could possibly even consider she could be turning the other way, when suddenly it was like she just tilted over a few degrees from vertical and switched direction.

Then it was a real struggle to force my brain to see her going clockwise again.

I think the trick is to let your mind get distracted by the nipples
Posted by: peter

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 07:55

Quote:
suddenly it was like she just tilted over a few degrees from vertical and switched direction

Yes, unlike the classic Necker cube she's in perspective: her toe traces out an ellipse, not a straight line. On the assumption you're looking at her from normal eye level, the lower part of that ellipse must be the front, so she's going clockwise. To see her going anti-clockwise, you need to imagine your eye-level being below her foot level.

Peter
Posted by: Tim

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 12:29

Quote:
You aren't the only one, furtive posted the animation on another bbs and some people there are on the verge of getting angry about the fact that they almost think that the rest of us are making it up

It's a schooner!
Posted by: loren

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 14:28

Quote:
It's a schooner!

LOL. Nice.

I found that just focusing solely on the foot I can make her switch directions at will.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 14:49

Quote:
It's a schooner!

Oh, it's a sailboat!
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 14:56

Quote:
Maybe I'm wierd, but I don't see anything strange about it. I immediately picked the correct direction and can't fathom how anyone could pick any other direction.

I just don't see it.

Same here. But I was mesmerized, none the less.
Posted by: cushman

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 15:20

Quote:
It's a schooner!

You know what? THERE IS NO EASTER BUNNY!
Posted by: frog51

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 18:37

does it make me a sad old fart that I spent 5 minutes watching her going clockwise, anticlockwise, clockwise, anticlockwise before I noticed the nipples...?
Posted by: Robotic

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 18:38

Quote:
Quote:
I just don't see it.

One thing that helped me was to scroll down so just the shadow is visible, and focus on the rotation of that. If I do that, I can basically "turn it around" and convince whatever portion of my brain handles these important matters that she's spinning the other way.

This trick worked for me, but I had to change my impression of the light source. Because the figure is a silhouette I alway expect the light source to be behind her and (for me, anyway) that results in her turning clockwise. Somehow her bouncing has been added to offset the impression of the shadow's direction.
Maybe
Somehow
I don't know
or something.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 20:09

Whoaa! Seriously freaky!

I find I can get her to change direction at will by looking at her shadow on the ground.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 10/10/2007 22:12

I finally got her to switch after forcing myself to blink slowly a few times. I think I needed to time the blink just right, because I can't do it "at will".

It's interesting how much harder it is to force yourself to change perspective on this one than it is for the Necker cube. I can make the necker cube flip back and forth at will, but this one is really tough.

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 22/10/2007 12:50

Quote:
If you see the dancer spinning clockwise, you’ve got excess spleen qi in your left frontal crockus. This means that you’re a vibrant personality whose passions are apparent to everyone around you, but sometimes you are indecisive. If you see her spinning counter-clockwise, the right ascension of your natal chart lies in your sagittal broab and there are Fire humours dribbling out your left nostril. You should see a doctor as soon as possible.

here
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: You spin me right (or left) round, baby... - 22/10/2007 12:58

Wow. For some reason, with the different background, I found it easier to get her to switch directions. For the first time, I got her to go counter-clockwise.