Old Dell Laptop takes forever to recover from suspend

Posted by: TigerJimmy

Old Dell Laptop takes forever to recover from suspend - 12/10/2007 05:34

Hi you guys,

Another computer problem I can't figure out. A friend's old Dell P3m laptop takes *forever* to come back from sleep. It also usually fails with a blue screen indicating a crashed WinLogon.exe.

Anyone have any suggestions for tracking down the source of this crash? Its pretty much 100% repeatable -- no recovery from suspend to disk.

Thoughts?

Jim

Re: Old Dell Laptop takes forever to recover from suspend - 12/10/2007 07:19

The blue screen, which happens every time the computer comes out of sleep/suspend says:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Old Dell Laptop takes forever to recover from suspend - 12/10/2007 15:10

Is it this one?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/112455

Googling that error message produces a lot of hits, so he's not the only one having that problem. Most of the hits are forum threads, go through the threads and see if anyone has any answers. this guy links several KB articles, might be worth browsing each of those.
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Old Dell Laptop takes forever to recover from suspend - 12/10/2007 16:45

At Dell's support site the knowledge base gives a few goodies from a search for 'sleep'.
I couldn't go in depth without more info about the machine/OS/etc.
But you could!
(I used my C840 as a starting point)

Otherwise...
Update OS?
Update drivers?
Update BIOS?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Old Dell Laptop takes forever to recover from suspend - 12/10/2007 17:23

The more I look at it, the more I suspect that the problem is he installed Roxio GoBack. The error message text is identical.

Re: Old Dell Laptop takes forever to recover from suspend - 14/10/2007 02:42

Thank you both for all the help. The condition changed when I updated the display drivers, but it still didn't work correctly. Motherboard BIOS upgrade and it seems to be right. I sure wish there was some way to actually see what was going on in log files. I'd settle for knowing what the MS updates actually change. I think one of the Windows XP updates was conflicting with the BIOS power management, but this is pretty much a guess. It seems "fixed" now. Thanks again!

Jim