Lost laptop should I make an insurance claim ?

Posted by: msaeger

Lost laptop should I make an insurance claim ? - 23/07/2008 00:28

My laptop was lost / stolen and I don't know if I should make a claim on my home owners insurance or not. My deductible is 1000.00 and the replacement cost of the computer is about 1800 so I would get a check for 800 dollars. I don't know if it's worth or not with the possibility of getting dropped / higher rates since I just made a clam for hail damage to my house.

I plan on calling the agent tomorrow for their opinion but I thought I would try to get the opinions of some real people smile

Posted by: MarkH

Re: Lost laptop should I make an insurance claim ? - 23/07/2008 00:41

How are you calculating the replacement value ? Buying the same ranked machine in the manufacturer's list (ie most powerful available, second most powerful, etc), or the same spec ? Most insurance I have seen replaces with the same spec, which is usually much cheaper than the original purchase price assuming the laptop is more than a year old.

Regards

Mark
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Lost laptop should I make an insurance claim ? - 23/07/2008 10:36

The adjuster I talked to said they would get the cost from the price of the current model which is 1700 plus tax. I paid 1900 a couple years ago. He didn't know anything about the impact on rates and chance of getting dropped though.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Lost laptop should I make an insurance claim ? - 24/07/2008 01:51

I had a similar value claim once. I asked a buddy who is an Agent about making the claim. Basically the companies dislike being nickel and dimed.

If one starts claiming every little loss, expect problems when a really big loss happens.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Lost laptop should I make an insurance claim ? - 24/07/2008 02:47

The problem is -=I=- don't like being nickel and dimed either. If only my lawyers were as big and numerous as theirs....