Gapless MP3 playback

Posted by: tahir

Gapless MP3 playback - 06/05/2009 15:17

The wife's asked me to DJ her birthday party, I'm thinking of doing it off my (Vista) PC, how can I get gapless playback? My music is all high bitrate mp3s encoded in Lame, mostly a few years ago.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Gapless MP3 playback - 06/05/2009 16:52

Just enable the crossfade feature in your player application.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Gapless MP3 playback - 06/05/2009 17:57

If you're actually going to DJ, then you'd use some DJ software where you can manually cross-fade. Independent output and volume control for at least two playback streams, that way you can monitor one stream on some headphones as you queue up the next track. smile

If you're just going to set up a playlist, then yeah, just turn on cross-fade in your favorite music player and set the fade duration long enough to cover up any silence at the start or end of the tracks you've selected.

Re: Gapless MP3 playback - 07/05/2009 07:33

Will take a look at cross fade, never done it before. Not looking to do anything fancier than stringing together a few different playlists.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Gapless MP3 playback - 07/05/2009 12:05

iTunes DJ mode might be worth a look then. It allows you to create some quick mixes to play, and easially allows you to rearrange what is coming up. And if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch around, you can let people vote up tracks to play next.

Re: Gapless MP3 playback - 07/05/2009 14:40

I've not played with iTunes except briefly when I decided that something small and light like WinAmp was better for me. I'll d/load it again.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Gapless MP3 playback - 08/05/2009 16:43

Back to the real DJ experience I mentioned... You can also use one of these little Pacemaker devices (mentioned here before) to do all your DJ business line beat matching, pitch, bass and treble adjustment on two virtual decks, allowing you also to fade between each deck at will.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/video-tonium-pacemaker-in-action/#continued

I saw this thing previewing on a different blog last year, but it looks like it may finally be available for wide-consumption.

Re: Gapless MP3 playback - 11/05/2009 08:43

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Back to the real DJ experience I mentioned... You can also use one of these little Pacemaker devices (mentioned here before) to do all your DJ business line beat matching, pitch, bass and treble adjustment on two virtual decks, allowing you also to fade between each deck at will.

Now that is FAR too complex sounding for my needs