iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback

Posted by: hybrid8

iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback - 08/02/2011 13:07

I was going to necropost, but even then there simply wasn't an ideal thread, so here's a new one.

The newest version of iPeng (1.3) now has playback support, courtesy of third-party code, likely from the Squeezecast developer, but I'm not sure about that. The update is free but playback will cost $4.99 as an in-app purchase. It's fair considering you'd otherwise need a separate app for this purpose, and it's a great deal when compared to any stand-alone hardware for the purpose. I just wish I hadn't also paid for Squeezecast previously.

You can now use an iDevice as a complete replacement for a Squeezebox - I think Logitech really missed the boat here. They could have monetized this themselves. Then again, development seems to have been scaled back a lot over there and I doubt they'd have the resources to dedicate to such an effort. It's taking them an unusual amount of time just to release point updates to the server software.

I'm not very likely to buy one of the newer Squeeze products such as the Radio now that I can easily carry the iPod or iPhone outside connected to a portable speaker dock for music on the deck.

I'm wondering when someone will install a small PC running the server software in their car with an ad-hoc wifi network, using an iPod or iPhone on the dash to stream music. It should also be possible to stream your collection over a 3G network, but I haven't yet looked into exposing the server to the internet at large. Not to mention I've only got a 250MB monthly cap on 3G service. smile
Posted by: Cris

Re: iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback - 08/02/2011 16:03

I get the upgrade for free as I have both iPhone and iPad versions.

Totally awesome feature, my music world is now complete ??? Oh no, I would need an empeg emulator on my iPad, mounted to my dash with bluetooth hardware controls for that to happen !!!

Cheers

Cris
Posted by: tman

Re: iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback - 08/02/2011 17:28

Huh. I thought Apple didn't allow in app purchasing now?

I'll go update my iPod touch as thats what I use with iPeng. Very nice app.

Re: iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback - 08/02/2011 17:38

Originally Posted By: tman
Huh. I thought Apple didn't allow in app purchasing now?

What? No, that's never happened. Apple encourages in-app purchasing. It only makes them more money.

Quote:
I'll go update my iPod touch as thats what I use with iPeng. Very nice app.

You may be disappointed if you have a 1st or second generation Touch - this version isn't working on those devices yet. I've tested it on my iPhone4, but the primary device I'll use in the future with it is my old 2G Touch.
Posted by: tman

Re: iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback - 08/02/2011 17:41

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
What? No, that's never happened. Apple encourages in-app purchasing. It only makes them more money.

Ah. I just checked and what I'm thinking of is the eBook issue and thats something different. They don't want you to use alternative stores to purchase content as they want their 30% cut.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
You may be disappointed if you have a 1st or second generation Touch - this version isn't working on those devices yet. I've tested it on my iPhone4, but the primary device I'll use in the future with it is my old 2G Touch.

Yup. Just noticed that in the updates notes. Its a first gen iPod touch so no new iPeng for me frown

Re: iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback - 10/02/2011 16:41

iPeng 1.3.1 fixes the crash on older devices. Available as an update right now.

Re: iPeng and SqueezeBox Server - now with Playback - 14/02/2011 12:39

I've now put quite a few hours through the software and I can say I'm generally pleased with it. It's a much better experience than using Squeezecast, which could sometimes be a challenge to keep connected to the server.

At home, it's nice being able to quickly move music from one room to the other without it having to be physically copied to the iPod/iPhone. With all the apps and other data, space on the devices is really at a premium and I find I have to cycle music in/out quite a bit.

Having the SBS features available is a huge bonus. Though I still wish there were some empeg features in there too, like being able to instantly add more music from the current artist or album to the now playing list. wink

Very highly recommended $15 (total) iOS app spend.