VPN Software

Posted by: Roger

VPN Software - 16/04/2013 11:41

I'd like to connect my laptop(s) to my home network using some sort of VPN solution, and I thought I'd turn to the BBS for guidance.

I've got a bunch of mobile devices (Windows 8 Pro Laptop, Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop, Linux laptop (maybe), Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7) that I'd like to connect to my home network. In terms of places to implement a VPN, I've got a router running OpenWRT; a Windows Server 2012 server (physical); an Ubuntu server (virtualized).

I've got a single fixed IPv4 address, and a fixed IPv6 /64 address range. (Using the IPv6 would probably require some sort of 6to4 tunnel when I'm at work).

If it makes it easier, I'm only really bothered about the Windows 8 laptop. The others are nice-to-have or merely frivolous.

What's my best option for a VPN? Windows supports a bunch of different variations (probably with MS-specific tweaks), and the OpenWRT wiki can't seem to decide between IPSec, OpenVPN or PPTP (and the documentation's terrible for all of them).
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: VPN Software - 16/04/2013 20:18

I use openvpn. You can almost certainly do anything you need with it and it's less likely to hit firewall tunneling issues than IPSec. I have no clue about windows clients but there are bound to be some.

Technically optimum is to use UDP but some hotel wifi will block it so I run it on TCP port 443 for maximum accesibility.
Posted by: mlord

Re: VPN Software - 17/04/2013 21:04

PPTP is dead simple to configure/use.
And similarly easy to crack in most setups.

OpenVPN is way more complex to set up, but simple to use after the initial pain.

Cheers
Posted by: Reawn

Re: VPN Software - 18/04/2013 06:43

Astrill is a great vpn i have used.