Weird stuff...

Posted by: wvloon

Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 16:12

How come that the only thing that this "10 second super glue" stuff acually does glue together in <10 seconds are human fingers instead of the stuff we try to glue (which usually takes hours to stick togeter)
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 16:32

No kidding. I tried to superglue a neon light into my car outside a Radio Shack once. I had to drive home with 4 fingers stuck together I guess it's a good thing I didn't stick to the steering wheel.
Posted by: Chao

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 16:37

The technical answer is that our skin is porous and made to absorb liquid a hundredfold over what you are attempting to glue

I hate that too.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 16:41

That and the fact that skin is generally more textured than most things. Particularly fingertips...
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 21:01

Believe it or not. The real answer is that CA glues were first designed to allow surgeons to glue their patients back together. For those places where stitches don't work well.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 22:03

"I've super-glued myself to... umm... myself."

Generally, CA sucks for pretty much anything and everything.

Bruno
Posted by: Heather

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 22:34

Believe it or not. The real answer is that CA glues were first designed to allow surgeons to glue their patients back together. For those places where stitches don't work well.

People refuse to accept these things. I've freaked out my co-workers a few times by gluing cuts together with nail glue. They won't believe e when I tell them it's dermabond in a cheaper package.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 22:59

it works great for building R/C airplanes (except the toxic fumes)
Posted by: svferris

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 23:02

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue!
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Weird stuff... - 21/01/2002 23:12

when I used to build the airplanes I would work in an area with a fan and a window open and I would get nose bleeds all the time just from normal use. I had to go back to the old takes all night to dry and is heavy stuff.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Weird stuff... - 22/01/2002 04:13

The real answer is that CA glues were first designed to allow surgeons to glue their patients back together. For those places where stitches don't work well.
Yeah -- like in Vietnam.

In reality, though, they weren't developed for this purpose, and, in fact, OTC CAs are methyl CAs, which have issues with toxicity. Medical-grade CAs are butyl (or other longer alcohol) CAs, which don't have as much of a problem. Also, it was initially developed by Kodak to be an optically clear polymer for use in optics, but was rejected. Later, Kodak was researching it as a heat-resistant acrylic for airplane windscreens when its adhesive properties were discovered. (I have a hard time believing that the first inventor didn't glue his fingers together, but maybe the formula has been refined since. ) A little later than that, it was released as a glue product, and then a few years later, was used in MASH units in Vietnam. I don't beleve that it has ever been approved for medical use in the US, but it has almost everywhere else, and I could be wrong, too.
Posted by: Chao

Re: Weird stuff... - 22/01/2002 10:59

Ha! Very true. I remember hearing about that years back. Seems very appropriate