CRT front projectors

Posted by: Alan

CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 06:15

My search for a new HDTV capable TV has turned into a 3 week search for facts. At this point after many hours reading the AVS forums I believe I'm going to purchase a used projector. I haven't narrowed it down between Barco, NEC or Sony yet. Has anyone here got any experience with a CRT front projector?

Alan
Posted by: tfabris

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 10:11

Any particular reason you're looking for a front projector instead of one of the rear projectors?
Posted by: acurasquirrel_

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 11:13

Those Barco's are really nice I used to work in the shipping warehouse for them. They get really pissed when you drop a $25,000 projector.
Posted by: svferris

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 13:22

I've read quite a few comments by people who say that you shouldn't get anywhere near HDTV until they figure out what the hell they're doing with the technology. This whole copyright issue is supposedly going to render all current HDTV TVs and projectors useless. From what I read, they want to implement the copyright checking into the TV (or projector) itself, so you couldn't just get a new HDTV receiver to hook up to your TV.
Posted by: Dylan

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 13:55

I think a front projector is a great choice if you can accept the compromises - namely light control, noise and mounting position. As for which one to get, some questions to ask are how much money are you willing to spend, what size screen, and what video processor do you intend to pair it with?

I used to have a Sony 1270 and now I have a NEC 9PG. What kind of info are you looking for?

-Dylan

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 14:19

The NEC 9PG is one of the units I'm watching on Ebay. I'm looking to stay under $1500. I'd be using it to watch DVDs and off air HDTV broadcast driven by a dedicated PC.

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 14:27

One reason is to break the norm, another is versatility. Really I should be looking at the new solid state projectors but I like to tinker with old electronics stuff.
Posted by: Dylan

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 14:58

You already know the best source for information - the AVS forums. If you have questions about the projectors I've owned I can try to answer them.

-Dylan
Posted by: Diznario

Re: CRT front projectors - 17/04/2002 17:59

Here's a link to some new HDTV related info that may be of interest.

Here's a quote:

Unfortunately for consumers, the new encryption schemes mean that if you have purchased a display device before the fall of 2002, there is a 90% chance that you will not be able to watch digital HDTV media on your display