*Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS

Posted by: Ambivalence

*Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 04/03/2004 01:13

It would be cool to have be able to cue up Ebooks or RSS feeds and have them text2Speeched through the rio. Maybe it could be run as a transcoder application through jrec. like a dynamic audio book.
Posted by: damage

Re: *Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 26/07/2004 17:54

xplrionet can do this, in conjunction with other xpl software aps. see my post about xplrionet http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/226192/an/0/page/0#226192

getting tts going is a little more involved. you need to dl microsoft sapi 5.1. you'll also need xplhal from www.xplhal.com and xpl_riotts ( http://www.xplhal.com/xpl/xPL_RioTTS.zip )

i use it w/ xpl_phone to send caller ID info to my garage rio whenever someone is in the garage. if playing something, the rio will interrupt it w/ the TTS announcement & then switch back to your music feed. if the rio is off, it will still announce.

Quote:
It would be cool to have be able to cue up Ebooks or RSS feeds and have them text2Speeched through the rio. Maybe it could be run as a transcoder application through jrec. like a dynamic audio book.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: *Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 26/07/2004 18:37

Quote:
if playing something, the rio will interrupt it w/ the TTS announcement & then switch back to your music feed

I'm sorry, that's just utterly motherfuc*ing cool.
Posted by: mschrag

Re: *Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 26/07/2004 19:07

I have been thinking about providing support in jEmplode for this, so that you could upload a text file and it would convert it to a wav/mp3 at sync time. That way you could use a nice set of voices (like AT&T Natural Voices) that wouldn't be available because of memory requirements on the Empeg itself.
Posted by: krossell

Re: *Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 28/07/2004 18:20

Can you post a little more detail about how you set this up? I have all the components, but I have no idea where to start configuring everything. I think I just need a couple of pointers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: *Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 28/07/2004 19:42

we should probably move this to the xpl message board
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukha_xpl

high level overview:
1. install the xpl_riotts app & start it
2. using xplhal, under devices, double click your rio you want to send tts to
3. select the tts option and enter the ip address:port of the machine running xpl_riotts (ie 10.1.2.3:48000)

to test if this works ok:
1. in xplhal, select tools, send xpl message
2. select target as the rio you configured
3. schema is audio.rio
4. in the first blank box with the "=" sign, put "extended" on the left, on the right put "announcevolume 40"
5. in the next blank box, put "extended", other side put "announce hello"
6. push send.

hopefully you should be able to hear something

for caller id announce:
1. configure your xpl_phone in xplhal - under "cid" option put "YES"
2. in the scripts directory ( c:/your_install_path_to_xplhal/Data/Scripts) you will find a file called TONYT_PHONE_xyz.xpl which corresponds to your xpl_phone instance in xplhal
3. you will need to write a vbscript program to parse the xpl message from xpl_phone which will send the cid tts to your rio (if you got things working this far, i can give you a copy of my script. post over on the xpl group for help)

Quote:
Can you post a little more detail about how you set this up? I have all the components, but I have no idea where to start configuring everything. I think I just need a couple of pointers.

Thanks,
Kevin
Posted by: krossell

Re: *Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 31/07/2004 23:59

Hi, I'm interested in your script, I kind of got it working, but I want to make a few changes. Can you post it here or the yahoo group?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: *Wish List* Text to Speech, for Ebooks and RSS - 01/08/2004 14:55

i emailed it to you a few days ago to your yahoo email address (based on your post in the xpl group)

Quote:
Hi, I'm interested in your script, I kind of got it working, but I want to make a few changes. Can you post it here or the yahoo group?

Thanks,
Kevin