A new "Central" would have these added features...

Posted by: The Central Guy

A new "Central" would have these added features... - 21/02/2005 21:37

I'm with Geeknerd, it's time to get some more postings going on the Central board....Please contribute your two cents on what changes you'd suggest for the Rio Central Mk2...

Here's a few from me to get you started...

* Built in Ethernet and USB 2.0 connectivity
* Ability to hold or upgrade to 2 Large Hard Drives (with plenty of system resources to support)
* Removable Hard Drives for easy upgrading, etc.
* Attractive price point
* After copying CDs, while encoding is occurring, show a status on the front panel that lets me know how many more songs I have to go before the encoding operation is complete.

So, what other features can you add to this list?
Posted by: drakino

Re: A new "Central" would have these added features... - 21/02/2005 21:53

MP3 VBR
Album Art
Support for other formats like OGG and Flac to offer seamless connections to the Karma no matter what format
Marketing

The MP3 VBR was one reason I never really looked to get a unit, but I do have a friend wishing he had something like it. Seems the market really abandoned the idea togther at the same time.
Posted by: geeknerd

Re: A new "Central" would have these added features... - 23/02/2005 17:35

FLAC for sure.
Internet Audio streaming (I took a first cut at it, and got a working proof of concept going, but I can't do GUI coding well). Streaming MP3, realaudio, etc.
Support for streaming FROM other Centrals. (Put those 3 centrals to use!)
Record from Audio in. Think TiVo for FM/AM radio.
Support for more mobile devices, at least the ability to copy music to flash/mmc/sd cards.

Price really is what killed the Central. Any new version needs to be near the price point for a TiVo machine.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: A new "Central" would have these added features... - 07/03/2005 01:14

I would like it to have an integrated display as well as a video out. I would be happy if they just made a streaming device that had a build in display and a video out that let you make a playlist on the fly.