Bitmap editing

Posted by: tfabris

Bitmap editing - 13/01/2000 17:26

Okay, I've installed the 8c developer image (hey, it was a big step for me, OK?), and I'm poking around through the file structure with a terminal program. First thing I found interesting was that I can SZ the font and graphic files (*.BF) from it.

I thought it might be fun to try my hand at making alternate fonts, and perhaps an alternate bootup graphic. It would almost be like making new WinAmp skins.

Any hints on the file format for the .BF files (rows/columns, header size), or what bitmap editor I might use to make edits? Most editors I know of don't like to edit in two bits per pixel.

I'm a Linux newbie, so if there's a standard linux editor for the .BF file format, feel free to give me a smack upside the head for asking a dumb quesiton.

Posted by: grgcombs

Re: Bitmap editing - 20/08/2002 09:59

I feel like reviving this thread, since I too would like to know the format of the bf files ;-)

greg
Posted by: tman

Re: Bitmap editing - 20/08/2002 10:29

You can look at the source code for vfdlib. There is code in there to load and display a font.

- Trevor

Re: Bitmap editing - 20/08/2002 10:47

Damn, Trevor! You have done nothing but give me perfect answers for days now!

Greg
Posted by: tman

Re: Bitmap editing - 20/08/2002 14:07

heh. You got any other questions whilst I'm on a roll?

- Trevor
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Bitmap editing - 21/08/2002 09:15

There's already a font editor available for the car player. I don't remember... Didn't I link it in the FAQ somewhere?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Bitmap editing - 21/08/2002 09:35

Yes. And it's in the riocar downloads section.

Re: Bitmap editing - 21/08/2002 11:08

The editor is nice but it doesn't give you the format of the bf files ... between the vfdlib_v2 and hijack.c, I was able to find what I was looking for.

Thanks!

g
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Bitmap editing - 21/08/2002 11:13

Oops. Yeah. I meant to mention that you were probably looking for info and not to change the fonts, but then I forgot.

Re: Bitmap editing - 21/08/2002 11:18

Suuuure you did ;-)