Project: External VFD Display

Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Project: External VFD Display - 09/02/2003 20:38

Okay.. This thread is mostly for my reference (because I suck at making notes), for anyone's comments, and, most importantly, everyone else to point out anything I'm forgetting. Heh.
After looking at Hugo's Display Thread, it's something that I want to do, mostly cauze I have too much freetime. Nono, mostly 'cauze I figure it's simple enough that I can handle it all the way thru (with some help when the need arises) and give something back to the community.

Okay, first, details at when *I* want to do with it..
1. Final Concept: Making a small HUD for my Mini. No real-time visuals needed, I'm looking for just info - Track Info, Volume, Menus (possibly. That may be tricky.)

2. Parts: The VFD display, a converter board, and the Empeg.
2a. The VFD display. From Nortake Itron, part number GW128x32C-K610A.
2b. The Converter Board. My creation, with lotsa PCB designing help from pca (Yeah, the tuner guy. Sorry guys, I'm trying NOT to slow down tuner production. Honest!) It will be a one-shot. DB9 connector for the serial, some kind of connection for 12v power, and a ribbon cable header to feed power/data to the VFD.
2c. Empeg. Pretty self-explanatory.

3. Software. My idea (which I will worry about more when I finish hardware) was simple - a little TSR program (TSR? In Linux? Sorry. ) that will sit and loop.. or something, and watch the empeg_notify file in /proc, and, when updated, send the correct commands to send to the serial port.

Of course, advantages to the converter board is that it can be used for most any of the Noritake Itron VFD modules, since it can supply the 5V. (See my next post about the board itself.) If anyone wants these boards, let me know. I don't plan on making any money, and the more PCB's I order, the cheaper they get.. in theory. I'll have all part #s and such in the post, so you could go out and get everything yourself, if you really want.

Thanks!
Me.

PCB Board Notes... - 09/02/2003 20:46

Okay, what I got so far:

It's a pretty simple board. Will consist of connectors:
1. DB9 for the serial cable.
2. 10-pin header for the ribbon cable, and
3. An as-of-yet-unchosen power connector.

Parts it will contain, will be:
1. The MAX233 (or MAX233A). This is the RS232-TTL converter chip, used after recommendation from the display thread.
2. The power regulator - uA7805. In theory, this can pump as much as 1.5Amp thru it, and take up to +40V.
3. Assorted caps and a diode - the caps for the power reg, and the diode to protect the reg. against any negative spikes. (recommended in spec sheet, adds insignificant amount to board.)
4. A DPDT switch. Why? Well, it will flip the TX/RX lines going to the DB9 connector. In case someone wants to connect the board straight up to the Empeg, or use it in their car, connected to the cable out of the sled.

That's about it. It can be pretty darn small, honest.Forget anything? Me? Probably.

I have some of the parts on order, right now I'm in a crash-course learning a PCB layout and designing software, (and that's where my thanks to PCA comes in.).
Next step, once I get parts, will be to make a little prototye circuit, and connect it up, see if I break anything.

Me.
Posted by: number6

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 09/02/2003 21:23

How about allowing for the +12 volts to come down the Serial cable into the DB9 connector [with maybe a simple on/off jumper to allow this option to be disabled on the PCB], as an easy way of getting the necessary voltage into the PCB to run it.

Recall the Empeg has +12 volts already available on the DTR line (pin 4) of the external Serial port on the sled, so this would make a "single cable" solution, with no cutting of wires or splicing into harnesses to be done in most cases - juts plug the DB9 connector to the Empeg's sled and away you go.

Posted by: rtundo

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 08:40

If anyone wants these boards, let me know

I'd be interested. I do like Number6's idea about the power wire.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 09:14

I am interested also. I don't know what I would do with it yet, but I would find something...

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 11:14

In reply to:

How about allowing for the +12 volts to come down the Serial cable into the DB9 connector [with maybe a simple on/off jumper to allow this option to be disabled on the PCB], as an easy way of getting the necessary voltage into the PCB to run it.

That is a really cool idea. Didn't even think of that. I'm assuming that the +12V uses the GND pin on the connector as well, then?
Would there be a problem (I can't see any off-hand) if the GND on the serial is always connected to the power ground?
(i.e. I have it at home, with a 12V adapter plugged into it. The DTR line is disconnected from the external power via the jumper, but the GND would still be connected. (Just seeing if I need two jumpers, for the GND and +12V, or one would do.)

<Evil Laugh> I like this... </Evil Laugh>
Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 11:28

In reply to:

I am interested also. I don't know what I would do with it yet, but I would find something...

That's the beauty of it, so far. There's not going to be any "VFD Only" components in it, other than the +5V output for power.. So, anything that uses a TTL serial format can use this to interface with the Empeg. Fun.
Although there was a link to a small product that did RS232 -> TTL conversion in a straight-cable configuration, which may work a little better.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 12:29

I believe my Onstar GPS is TTL. I guess I have to choose remote VFD or GPS hmmm.... Anyway I leave that for another thread.

Re: PCB Board Notes... - 10/02/2003 12:45

Question to anyone that may know, or have a datasheet..
On the MAX233 / MAX233A (20-pin DIP), is the chip the thinner kind, a-la the TI's MAX232, or is it the wider version, a-la an EEPROM?
The data sheet I have for the MAX* line of ships don't have any of the dimensions for the chip.. :/

Thanks,
Me.

Re: PCB Board Notes... - 10/02/2003 14:27

The MAX233 I've used all came in a "skinny DIP" package,
i.e. its like the MAX232 only 4 pins longer [2 on each side].

re: Serial Ground, the Empeg Serial port ground wire is connected to the "Ground" wire in the sled harness so its perfectly ok to leave it connected all the time in your design.

One thing to note that sleds earlier than about serial# 1000 had a problem with the ground wire not being connected in the sled harness.
[my sleds have/had this problem].

So if you use the +12 and ground wires in the serial cable missing this ground wire then your VFD board won't work until you connect your PCB's ground to your cars "ground".

One other point about using the +12 volts on the DTR wire, it is turned off when the Empeg is, so you don't have to worry about it being powered up when your Empeg is off.

Just remember that the +12 volts on the serial line and the remote Amp control line share the same source, so can only sustain 1 amp between them.
For most "correctly done" installations this is never going to be a problem but it is something to watch for.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 14:34

Since the VFD "receives" serial data from the Empeg and the Onstar "sends" data to the empeg you can have both connected at once - all you need is a TTL signal splitter cable - with one wire (plus ground) going from the onstar to accept incoming serial TTL from your Onstar and send it to the Empeg serial port via the MAX2*, and the TTL serial out is sent to the VFD unit.

You could even place a jumper switch on the board to allow you to "route" the TTL level GPS data to the VFD allowing you to display the GPS data (assuming its in NMEA format) on your VFD as a form of system "self test".
[I think the VFD will accept regular ASCII data and show it as it has onboard Character Generator logic].

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 15:36

In reply to:

You could even place a jumper switch on the board to allow you to "route" the TTL level GPS data to the VFD allowing you to display the GPS data (assuming its in NMEA format) on your VFD as a form of system "self test".
[I think the VFD will accept regular ASCII data and show it as it has onboard Character Generator logic].

It can - it has a limited set of the full ASCII character set -
erm, wait. My bad. Default power-on has the full set, starting with the hex 20, the space. Everything BEFORE that is custom programming commands and such.. :>

Me.

Re: PCB Board Notes... - 10/02/2003 15:40

In reply to:

Just remember that the +12 volts on the serial line and the remote Amp control line share the same source, so can only sustain 1 amp between them.
For most "correctly done" installations this is never going to be a problem but it is something to watch for.

Ah, thanks. I'm actually closer to getting the board finished than I had thought. (Simple designs rock.) The screen does NOT suck that much power, so I will go ahead and use the serial DTR line, with a standard DC plug. When something is in the plug, the +12v/DTR is cutoff from the DB9 connector, and used from the plug. Otherwise, +12 comes from the DB9. Perfect.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/02/2003 18:40

Thanks for the info Number6. In that case I think I'll yank out the Onstar GPS and confirm that it is an M12 Encore (What it is rumoured to be)

Re: PCB Board Notes... - 20/02/2003 20:30

Okay.. Final PCB parts list, for my notes. (Anyone else, paying attention..) Digikey partnumbers in {}'s.

uA7805: +5V Power Regulator {296-13996-5-ND}
MAX233CPP: Rs232/TTL converter IC {MAX233CPP-ND}
C&K DPDT Switch {CKN5003-ND}
10-pin Header {A26267-ND}
DB9 Connector {A2096-ND}
+12V Power Jack {CP-102A-ND}
Capacitor .33uf {1213PHCT-ND}
Capacitor .1uf {1210PHCT-ND}
Diode 1N4001 {1N4001GCT-ND}

(Note: I always get the serial connectons mixed up. I THINK I need a MALE connector on the PCB board. So, that's what I ordered. )
(Note2: The more I mess with this (^&*&#@ PCB software, the more I am impressed at PCA and others who can do this. It's currently winning our most recent argument.)
Posted by: tman

Re: PCB Board Notes... - 20/02/2003 20:53

I'm just wondering if this display actually needs to be connected to both the empeg serial port RX and TX lines. From what I can tell you don't ever read anything back from the VFD. If so then a SPDT switch would do. Also wouldn't a three pin header and a jumper be cheaper than using a switch?

Have you thought about using Veroboard/stripboard actually? The circuit is very simple and wouldn't require much Veroboard and it would save you money on getting a proper PCB.

- Trevor

[edit]Blah. Removed bit about terminals on the DPDT switch because I misread the Digikey catalogue table... Doh...[/edit]

Re: PCB Board Notes... - 21/02/2003 16:27

I'm just wondering if this display actually needs to be connected to both the empeg serial port RX and TX lines. From what I can tell you don't ever read anything back from the VFD. If so then a SPDT switch would do. Also wouldn't a three pin header and a jumper be cheaper than using a switch?

Good point, and one I considered.. The reasons I came up with including both was:
1. Upgrading - In case, sometime in the future, there's newer model that talks back (for whatever reason), wouldn't have to redesign the whole board.
2. If anyone wanted to use something else TTL related, they could make a cable and use the board.
3. I actually was going to use the input back from the VFD, at least for the "R" code it sends back.. (If my program initializes at startup, and the VFD's not there, it will try to reset the board until we get a responce, knowing it's there.) Althought this isn't as important as #1.

The price difference wasn't that great - the switch was $7.. Considering the VFD is $120, I can spend another $7. :>

Have you thought about using Veroboard/stripboard actually? The circuit is very simple and wouldn't require much Veroboard and it would save you money on getting a proper PCB.

Are these design software or makers? I've never heard the terms (looking up now..). I'm just arguing with the software I have now to agree on pin layouts.

Me.

Edit: Aaah, I see what the Veroboard is. It may be a good alternative. It certainly is for making a proto of the board and testing it all before sending it to a maker, at least. Thanks for the suggestion..!

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 15:30

Okay.. All parts are in for the PCB. So now I'll use that perfboard idea to put it all together and take a stab at it.
The VFD is here too, and that thing is TINY. I mean the visible display area is LESS than the width of my finger. Entire board, less than two fingers..
I can't do anything hardware wise until mid-next week, so I'm spending some time right now, looking into the programming side...

Having only done simple C programming before, I was rather pleased to have my first test program (all it did was print "Test!" to the screen) compile and run on the empeg. Whohoo.

Now I need to figure out how I'm going to obtain status of the player. (Playing status? (Play, Pause, Off?) Song Info? (Artist, Title, Source?) Other Info? (When do we hit a new song? Is the user in a menu?)

I'm starting to poke around other programs out there, mostly the lyrics viewer thing.. so all I gotta do now is trial and error.

I love this stuff.
Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 18:15

Are you going to try and implement your own display? If it's not too distracting you could just use /proc/empeg_screen.[png!raw] and just update the display that way. The baud rate of the VFD serial protocol is too low for a high refresh rate but it should be okay enough to just see what's happening.

You could try and interpret /etc/empeg_notify like the lyrics viewer and attempt to work out when the player is seeking/playing/stopped etc...

- Trevor

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 18:38

Are you going to try and implement your own display? If it's not too distracting you could just use /proc/empeg_screen.[png!raw] and just update the display that way. The baud rate of the VFD serial protocol is too low for a high refresh rate but it should be okay enough to just see what's happening.

I would do this, and may still, but I'm not sure how the data format is in the PNG/RAW files. (If I COULD figure it out, then I could easily convert it to data that the VFD understands, and just 'loop'.

The empeg_screen.raw file is 2048 bits. Screen size is 4096 (128x32). Is there info somewhere on how to intreperet the file? (Going to do a search after this..)

I just finished writing a little program that loops every second, and scand empeg_notify, and if it changes, pipes out to screen. (I didn't realize that "Source" (or Album) isn't contained in that file.. Interesting.)

Just copying the display (like Hugo did) would be most beneficial for Menus and such - but refresh rate would look kinda crappy on visualizations. :>

Untimately, I want to have a hybrid. Simple text or graphics displaying song info, and then making own menus when user enters them. Biggest hurdle there is finding out WHEN the menu is accessed, and knowing WHAT is on the menu.

That's a ways off, as I learn more C. (Hey. I[m pretty friggin' happy that my first All-C program works as expected. So far.)

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 18:46

The Empeg VFD screen is 4bpp so every byte in /proc/empeg_screen.raw corresponds to two pixels.
You can get all the information about the currently playing FID by either parsing the empeg database or reading the *1 files.

- Trevor
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 19:31

empegVNC interprets the .raw file. You could steal the code from there.
Posted by: V99

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 20:35

And you could optimize what you send over the serial by stealing the VNC code that generates rectangles of data to update and only sending updates for them to the display instead of the whole 128x32.

I'm doing a similar thing but with different goals (visibility in the sun and keeping Empeg in the trunk so I don't have to take it out every time I leave my convertible). Noritake has a nice 140x32 display that's 115.2kbps, and a 256x64 that's unfortunately only 38.4 (by serial.. parallel is faster). Haven't decided which to use yet. With the extra space extra apps could be made to run and not cover up the Player display (or on the 256 one it could be pixel doubled to show the Player fullscreen).

This might also be of interest to you.. Grayhill makes a joystick that has an optical encoder and pushbutton all in one knob. I'm planning on using one and converting my cigarette lighter into all 7 functions on the Empeg face, except that I haven't found any place to buy one yet.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 20:39

The Empeg VFD screen is 4bpp so every byte in /proc/empeg_screen.raw corresponds to two pixels.

This is the part I'm having issues with. (Okay, so I admit. I ain't the brightest.) :>

Reading thru the file, I see values that inclode x00, x03, xFF. If it's 4bpp, that give a total of 16 different shades for each pixel. If x00 (00000000) is off for both, and xFF (11111111) is on for both, then we aren't using some values there, since we only have 4 brightness levels.. I want to experiment, but can't until I get the hardware side done.

Thanks for the help, ya'll.
Me.

[Edit: Wait. Hold that thought. In my strupidity (read: insufficient C knowledge) I think I've been reading the file wrong, which would explain alot.]

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 20:41

And you could optimize what you send over the serial by stealing the VNC code that generates rectangles of data to update and only sending updates for them to the display instead of the whole 128x32.

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that, then.. (Since I'm, like, new to C and all, if for nothing else than to learn..)

Me.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 20:55

If x00 (00000000) is off for both, and xFF (11111111) is on for both, then we aren't using some values there, since we only have 4 brightness levels
Well, 4 brightness levels is 2bpp not 4bpp (which would be 16 levels). The static graphics files on the player (like the boot logos) store the values raw, inefficiently, using an entire nybble for storing only two bits worth of data.

The empeg VFD screen itself isn't even techincally 4bpp or 2bpp, it's actually 1bpp. But they do a 200hz time-dither to get multiple shades. Sure, they could do other values other than those four shades we already know about. But they are very flickery and they just aren't used for any of the static graphics on the player.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 27/02/2003 23:20

In reply to:

Grayhill makes a joystick that has an optical encoder and pushbutton all in one knob. I'm planning on using one and converting my cigarette lighter into all 7 functions on the Empeg face, except that I haven't found any place to buy one yet.

I have a earlier model [non-joystick] model of those Grayhill switches and they are very nice.
If you manage to locate a source of the joystick plus encoder plus pushbutton switch let me know as I could use a few of them.
[maybe a group buy might meet the minimum order qty required].

I suspect though that unless Grayhill have a large order they won't be making any for a while, so it may take some time to locate a source...

Anyway, drop me a PM when you find some, and I'll make arrangements from there.

Posted by: jarob10

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 28/02/2003 15:43

If anyone wants these boards, let me know

I would be interested in this ; perhaps just the convertor board and cabling, so I can get the appropriate VFD display to siut ...

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 28/02/2003 16:06

I found a local (Phoenix) distributor for Grayhill that claims to be able to get me one as a sample (my company has a project going that I'd like to use them on, which is how I found out about it).. if they deliver I'll talk to them about buying them individually or in small quantities and let you know.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 28/02/2003 16:10

so I can get the appropriate VFD display to siut

Various Noritake models have RS-232 interfaces built-in, so you would just need the 12v->5v part to run them if you used one of them.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 28/02/2003 17:18

Various Noritake models have RS-232 interfaces built-in, so you would just need the 12v->5v part to run them if you used one of them.

Actually, almost ALL of them do.. but they're TTL interface.
In the end, the little board I'm making will be best suited for car, but can be used at home/office, too. It'll be about 2.5in x 2.5in big (guesstimate, right now), and have the RS-232 port for input. It'll take advantage of the +12V on from the Empeg sled (or you can plug it in)..
Of course, you can use anything you want, such as the all-in-one RS232-TTL cord someone posted about in this thread, as well.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 01/03/2003 04:51

Actually, almost ALL of them do.. but they're TTL interface.
I meant that some of them (notably the one I'm using..) have full RS-232 interfaces that accept the whole -15v to +15v range and thus don't need the MAX233 to drop it down to TTL.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 01/03/2003 07:59

Oh! Which part # are you using?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 02/03/2003 05:16

I've got two of them at the moment, haven't decided which to use.

GU140x32F-7000: 140x32, 115.2kbps serial

and

GU256x64D-3900 (which isn't on their site yet, it's an updated version of the 3100): 256x64 but only 38.4 serial (lame.. half the speed/pixel of the 610A you're using). It does have a normal fast parallel interface though, serial->parallel is an option to get it running at 115.2.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 02/03/2003 17:06

The 256x64 has a 4-bit input and a 8-bit input or output on the board that you can read/write to with the serial command set, which could possibly be used for connecting your input keys/joystick to the Empeg.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 04/03/2003 18:26

So I got the joystick from Grayhill, seems perfect for the job. One complication is that there's only one signal wire for each axis (left/right and up/down) that's either at 0, 2.5, or 5v, so some minor circuitry is going to be required to get a 2 bit value for each out of it.

The other problem is that they're $62 for 25-99 and $49 for 100-250. If there's enough people interested I can put together a group buy... Maybe I should post this in Technical.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 04/03/2003 22:09

got a link to it ?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/03/2003 00:37

Visit This link and search for this [Grayhill] part:
60A18-4-P

You will find a link onthe page that comes up to a 2 page PDF file which shows all the details and pinouts etc.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/03/2003 04:59

Sorry, thought I posted a link earlier. number6 is right, if you just search for 60A you'll get all of the different variations, all "out of stock", and half of them labeled wrong. The 60A18-*s have detents in the optical encoder (like the Empeg's), whilst the 60A08-*s turn smoothly, despite what the descriptions say.

The one I got is 60A18-4-020C, which means it's got a 2" cable and a funky connector on it. Since no source of a matching connector was immediately available I just cut it off, yielding the same thing as a 60A18-4-020S, which is what I should have ordered in the first place (maybe a longer cable).

I've got the L/R and U/D signal to separate bits circuitry working with a NOT gate, 2 transistors, 2 resistors, and 2 pots. There's probably a better way to do it if you know what you're doing, but this works once you tweak the pots for your transistors.

So if we can get 25 or more together I'll buy a batch. If you're interested, please email how many you'd want to joystick@applesolutions.com

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/03/2003 00:12

The link you posted doesn't work as it has session information in the URL which means it won't work beyond the session used to access the info.
So the best way around that is to visit the main page then search from there.
for the 60A-18-4-P or whatever part you want.

BTW: Grayhill have the most logical part naming standard in ANY product I have ever seen - pity all such electronic components weren't labelled the same simple structured way.
their site has explanation of the part naming rules they follow - very simple.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/04/2003 09:23

*bump*

any news / updates on this ?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/04/2003 14:45

*bump*
any news / updates on this ?

Not yet. It's pretty busy at work (it's spring - many databases down) and I play with the programming side when I get to.
I have all the hardware parts I need now to make a 'proto' board and connect it all up. Once that's done, (and working) I'm going to lookinto actually getting the small PCBs made.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/04/2003 19:42

Go Go Gadget VFD display!

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 07/04/2003 05:40

Go Go Gadget VFD display!

Heh. It's amazing what you can find online.. I love your Bart.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 07/04/2003 08:28

Thanks. That was someone else's idea though, I just turned it into an icon. :-)

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 13/05/2003 16:26

No, I haven't dropped off th face of the earth, sorry to dissapoint you.

Got everything soldered together, need to make a tiny program so that I can test it, at least..

However, I need one thing. I need a 10-conductor ribbon cable. I'm leery to make one myself, as I usually have really bad luck everytime I crimp something, but will if there aren't any alternatives..

If anyone can point me in a direction, it'd be a big help.

Thanks!
Me.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 13/05/2003 16:38

I need a 10-conductor ribbon cable. I'm leery to make one myself, as I usually have really bad luck everytime I crimp something, but will if there aren't any alternatives..

Sure, head over to the Yahoo Groups JP1 group and read their instructions for making a JP1 cable out of an old floppy disk drive cable. The process was fairly painless, and will probably translate to whatever you need to make.

Matthew
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 14/05/2003 03:56

I just found out about this thread. I'd be interested in such a display also.
Posted by: trs24

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 14/05/2003 11:37

Consider me VERY interested, too... I can't wait to hear how it works out!

- trs

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 15/05/2003 21:34

Okay this isn't quite ready for primetime yet but what the hell..

Here's a quick demo of mine in action.. RemoteEmpeg.mp4 (6.4mb MPEG-4) and a picture of the whole setup. The stuff on the board to the left of the power cable is for the 12->5v regulator, the stuff on the right is all to convert the joystick (and 9 extra available pins) to serial and send to the Empeg.

There's a couple issues to be resolved,

- The app gets starved for CPU time once in a while, usually when the player is spinning up the disks..

- The display updates slowly.. most of this is because I chose a 256x64 display that's only 38,400bps, but there's still lots of room for optimization. I liked the 256x64 because it can display the normal Empeg screen and still have room for 3 other 128x32 panes of information (OBD-II?, GPS?). There are others that are smaller, bigger, faster, slower, etc. I have a 140x32 that runs at 115,200 (you can see it on the piece of paper) too.

- The Hijack menu isn't accessible from calling the EMPEG_HIJACK_INJECTBUTTONS ioctl

- Grayscale.. none of the serial VFDs do it. If the app knew what screen was being displayed it could decide what to do with the "dim" and "slightly less dim" colors better; Right now it just drops them or else menus are unreadable.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 15/05/2003 23:42

Fantastic !

Keep us posted as the issues become sorted. Good work !

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 01:31

Great stuff !!
So if you want to use the smaller display, it's as easy as plugging that one onto the cable?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 08:46

Oh that is cool! I want I want I want.

- trs

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 09:33

Great stuff !!
So if you want to use the smaller display, it's as easy as plugging that one onto the cable?

Yeah - almost ALL of the Noritake VFD's are interchangeable.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 09:34

Hey! Pretty sweet!
I'm assuming that you ignore any error codes/ready prompts from the VFD, then?

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 13:30

Too cool ! I was thinking, if those kits ever become available, to build a small screen in the bottomside of my speedometer. A bit like Hugo has done. I really like that idea !

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 13:49

Yup, I'm going to mount mine just in front of my tachometer, dead center in my sterring wheel.

I got the board designed, I'm now looking to getting it actually /made/...

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 14:32

Depending on the display you'd need slightly tweaked driver code.. the 3900 (updated 3100) and 7000-series I have have mostly identical commands (but the 7000 supports a subset of the 3900's), whereas the K610a that foxtrot is using is very different (and pretty limited). It's not a big deal to change the code though, you just read the VFD documentation and adjust what it sends to, say, draw a rectangle.

Also some (like the K610a) don't accept a real RS-232 (-12 to +12) signal so you need a chip in there to convert to TTL-level (that's part of what foxtrot's board is for). Mine just passes through the out from the Empeg to the in on the display.

I'll see if I can get the 140x32 working and make a video.. the glass is a bit smaller than the Empeg's VFD, but it has a very tall control board behind it.

I'm assuming that you ignore any error codes/ready prompts from the VFD, then?

Yeah, I'm currently ignoring the display's output line (which you can read the 3900's 10 i/o pins on, read settings, etc).. it could be connected to the BASIC Stamp and then the stamp could pass the data back to the Empeg. I did have the 'busy' line connected to one of the serial control pins but it turns out it hasn't actually been needed for any of the drawing yet @ 38,400.
Posted by: jcboeckl

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/05/2003 21:46

WOW...This is very cool stuff! Very Nice Work...Good Luck
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/05/2003 20:44

You could use something like a MAX232 RS232 converter if you really needed... but a lot of times... a resistor with a 5.1V Zener to ground works too. (or a diode to +5 works... with an input diode that blocks the -12VDC.)

don't really need an IC to do it.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 12:29

Just a quick poll. (Never done one, so bear with me.)

Right now, it looks like the price of the PCB and parts to solder to it will be around $20. What that dosn't include is: 1. The VFD. Yer on yer own for that, unless I get enough orders and ya'll want me to try and bulk-order them. 2. The ribbon cable to connect the VFD to the PCB. 3. Serial cable to connect to Empeg, 4. The external, optional +12V transformer.

Okay, now. I can do solder work, and would be willing to assemble the boards as well, but I have an option to get them ALL 'stuffed' for a small price. Tell me what ya think..

Would ya want yer board pre-assembled?
Yes, Definately!
No, I'd rather do it myself.
Depends on the price.

I should be close to getting these done, now.
Again, the board will be able to take the +12 from the sled, *OR* an external +12VDC AC adapter. It will also have a tiny switch for using a cross-over or straight-thru serial cable, and the pin header for the ribbon cable will be able to directly handle the Noritake GW128x32C-K610A display. Other displays may work or not, depending on the header config. Either way, it wouldn't be hard to adjust for a different display.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 12:47

2. The ribbon cable to connect the VFD to the PCB.
Question. Why not design the PCB so that the VFD solders directly to it? Sort of like the current empeg display board, with the VFD sandwiched to the board. If someone wants/needs to do a ribbon cable in place of direct soldering, they can do that themselves without much trouble even if the PCB is designed for direct soldering.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 12:47

Is there an easy source for GW128x32C-K610A?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 13:28

In reply to:

Question. Why not design the PCB so that the VFD solders directly to it? Sort of like the current empeg display board, with the VFD sandwiched to the board. If someone wants/needs to do a ribbon cable in place of direct soldering, they can do that themselves without much trouble even if the PCB is designed for direct soldering.

Good suggestion. I will look at that when I get home, see if there is enough clearance. I'm not too sure how to pull it off, tho..
Leave the mask alone, where the person can either connect up a 10-pin header, or a 10-pin socket? If that's the case, if someone solders in a 10-pin socket, will the pin # order still be the same? (i.e. I don't want to give the user the chance to shove +5V down the ground line, and fry a $120 display.) I may have to re-situate the mask for the 10-pins so if the board is mounted directly, the converter will hang BEHIND the display, and not to the right of it. (When it comes to pinouts, I suck at the placement. On a 10-pin header, looking down at the component side, where's #1, usually?)
I'll have to make sure nothing sticks out of the back of the display where it would interfere with this. It'd also require some kind of insulation, so the two boards don't touch and short out, or worse.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 13:31

I don't want to give the user the chance to shove +5V down the ground line, and fry a $120 display.
How about a fuse?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 13:31

Well, it's NOT a piece of cake to order from Noritake in the US.. To get my 'test' board, I had to jump thru a few hoops - Frst called up the home office, they told me to contact a guy local to me. That number was disconnected, so they gave me a someone in NY. Ordered thru her, she had to fax a sales sheet to me, which I had to sign and return, then she had to ship the order to the wharehouse, which was located in Chicago, and after that, I got the board. It only took about a week, but I didn't have ready access to a fax machine and all..

One of the reasons that I may buy a lot, if people were interested. Another thing to note, they supposedly have color filters for the displays, even to make it look WHITE. Of course, any cel paper, like what Darkstorm uses would work...

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 13:38

If you're in the UK then it's easier to purchase. You can phone up Itron UK Ltd and just order off them.
They sent me an email awhile back saying they've got some GW128X32C-K610A's in stock. And if I wanted a GU128X32D-K610A4 then I can buy it from Farnell.

- Trevor

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 13:39

Can't be done* - the protection would have to be on the DISPLAY, not my converter board.

For example, in the display I'm uising, pin #1 is the +5v, pin 2 is the SCK. Unused in my project, but it's for Synchronous communication, which is probably unchecked for overloads going straight to the display's main CPU chip. If I was careless and put my display in backwards, +5V would go thru the SCK line, and the actual voltage line would be unconnected. (GND, on the other hand would be connected to the SO line, which is completely unmentioned in the documentation I have. Since GND isn't connected, I'm not sure if that WOULD do any damage, but.. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Basically, a fuse, or overload protection on my converter board wouldn't be able to tell if the DISPLAY was overloaded or not, unfortunately. And there's no 'Key' position on the 10-pin header, to stop it from going in the wrong way.

* - I say it can't be done, but, of course, with enough money, they'll make a custom display that would probably protect itself better.

Me.
Posted by: mvigneau

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 13:51

I saw that you had an external "remote" plugged in. Is there a way to use the whole front panel instead? Creating a "remote" box that encases the front panel and VFD and plugs into a 10-pin connector? You could mount the Rio in the trunk with a 10-pin wire running to the front panel remote so you can mount the remote in the front?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 14:03

Hmm.. no, first off, that wasn't me, that was Hugo.

Second, if you wanted to do that, it'd be a bit more tricky. The displays I'm working with only support "ON" and "OFF" bits - no greyscale.
If you want to take the whole front off of the empeg, you could do it - but it would require more than 10 pins.

(Why? because you have the data bus for the VFD, the button controls, the two IRs, the standby LED, and the button LEDS. (Even if you don't have them, the control lines are still there for them.. You may be able to pick nd choose which bus lines you use, but it'd be tricky, I think. Add to that the fact that the data lines for the front display may not be strong enough to run the length from the trunk to the cockpit. )

Edit: Thinking about it, it *MAY* be possible to put a IR reciever up there with the display, but I'm not sure how to convert the signals from the IR to serial communication. Since the return line on the serial cable isn't really used..)

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 15:13

Well, it's NOT a piece of cake to order from Noritake in the US.
This brings up a question... What about finding a completely different source of displays (LCD even if it had to be) from a different company just for the external display project? Someone who is more eager to ship their product to customers?

Is there a such thing as an LCD that has similar features and pinouts to the Noritake VFD displays?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 15:42

I do not know..

anyone else?

The PCB is generic enough where if a something needed to be changed, it could, easily...

Me.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 19:58

I've done some work with LCD's before, and I can testify that it isn't easy to get a bare LCD or VFD module from anyone. I ordered some from 2 sources (Varitronix and some other company) and to get the display you want with the correct specs is a chore. These are companies that deal in bulk orders, and ordering one is a pain for them. They are quite expensive at low quantities.

I actually fried a $100 display of mine when I plugged it in wrong by accident. I still have it, I think I know the chip I fried (character generator), but it's SMT and I never got around to finding someone to fix it. These displays are very sensitive.

About the type of display used: Matrix Orbital is the leader in serially controlled displays, but they don't have any graphical VFD's. I've looked for a similar display, and I can't find one (that is serially controlled). There are other 8-bit displays that would work, though, but Noritake has the best variety of VFDs.

The ideal solution for a remote display is to duplicate the current display board somewhat but make it plug into the serial port. You could have a PIC on the display board that would control the VFD via a parallel (8-bit) interface so it would be easier to code for. All the work being done for the display would be done on the board, not in software. The GU128x32-320 looks like a good candidate for this. With a bit of creativity you could duplicate the greyscaling the Empeg team did for the original display.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/05/2003 20:12

and I can testify that it isn't easy to get a bare LCD or VFD module from anyone.
That's too bad. I was hoping there could be an easy way to source them so that it wasn't up to the end user to jump through flaming hoops to get it.
Posted by: rcurrier

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 00:26

You might check out EarthLCD, in particular this one; 240x64x1, EL backlight, 6 pushbuttons, IR capable, serial interface. Documentation is a bit sparse. I've never actually bought anything from them, but they've been around a long time and always have cool looking LCD parts and subsystems.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 07:33

I've ordered from them before. It was like pulling teeth, but eventually I got my order and it worked fine.
Posted by: suomi35

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 09:33

Don't forget EIO

They have tons of LCDs...and they are always getting new kinds
Posted by: suomi35

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 09:34

Many are cheap as hell too

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 10:20

gee, apparently this LCD displays RGB.

- trs

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 10:29

If you're talking about my remote, it's a Grayhill joystick+button+optical encoder all in one axis.. it has all 7 Empeg actions in one device, which I'm going to stick in the place formerly occupied by my cigarette lighter. The joystick itself is > $60 though, you could just as easily use 4 buttons and an encoder or 7 buttons and arrange them to look like your an Empeg front panel. It would actually be simpler, almost everything on my board besides the power regulator and basic stamp is to convert the joystick interface to 7 digital bits.

My Empeg and sled will eventually be put in the trunk with the sled, and the display/control in the front will be connected with just a regular 9-pin serial cable.

I'm about to leave for 2 weeks, but when I get back I'm going to be installing the stuff in my car and working on the software issues.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 10:46

The only problem with EIO is that they are a surplus dealer, and that if a solution was developed with one of the displays from their website, it may only be around until they run out of stock. Of course a solution could be developed with a popular LCD controller chip in mind (like the T6963) and then any display that uses that chip could be used with the solution. You might need to change the cable to account for different pinouts, but the commands sent would be the same.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 11:42

Actually, it looks like THAT one *IS* displaying "LCD", not "RGB".

Sorry.
Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/05/2003 11:55

Ok, ok ,ok. displays "in" RGB. although - it really looks more like RGL[avender].

- trs *with great enthusiasm*
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/06/2003 12:45

Send me a Price on a Assembled Working Unit.. I'll buy..

my CT is way too far to even think about soldering something like this up.

Find a Way to have the Remote led there also would be even better.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/06/2003 13:18

Hmm.. remote LED?
Or You mean IR? Interesting..

Well, I'm awaiting the finalized 'test' PCB back. So, right now, I'm aiming that these should be ready around, say mid-August, possibly sooner..

Think I should post in the general and see who'd be interested? I don't plan on making any money offa this, just recouping expenses, so the more that buy, the cheaper it'll be..

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/06/2003 14:25

Would having a pre-reservation page or somesuch be helpful?

For that matter I would commit some or all the money for say 3 units up-front if it will help you get it done. I suspect others would for some number as well.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/06/2003 14:57

Agreed!!!

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/06/2003 15:17

Thanks guys. I'm working on a small PHP signup page right now, I'll post it when I get finished with it..

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/06/2003 16:30

Ditto that

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 05/06/2003 18:28

Okay guys.
Head on over to: Here.
Some notes that aren't on the page.. If I decide NOT to get VFD's, if you were signed up for one WITH a VFD, you'll get the same thing, without the VFD. Also, it's in no-way a contract, but it will be frowned on if you sign up, then ditch out.
Right now, without VFD, looking at about.. $30. This will include the PCB, instructions, and all components on the PCB. Things you'll have to provide are: The VFD (see above, still waffling), the serail cable/connection, and an external power supply, if you use it outside of the Empeg's sled.
(I'm also waffling on wether to throw in the ribbon cable..)

Also, please excuse the site design. I just threw it together, nevermind the Pandahead stuff.

Thanks!
Me.

Posted by: falconvp

Re: Ext VFD Disp signup - 12/06/2003 05:10

I'm definitely wanting one of these displays. I would be willing to pay in advance.

Also, tried the signup site, but 'cannot find server' error.

thanx

Re: Ext VFD Disp signup - 12/06/2003 10:57

Yeah, there was a problem with the DNS servers this morning.
It is back up, go ahead and give it a show now..

Thanks!
Mike.
Posted by: falconvp

status update - 10/07/2003 04:46

It has been about a month since the last post.
I was wondering what the status is on this project?

thx

Re: status update - 10/07/2003 05:19

Not a problem. Had to put things aside for a week and a half as I drove almost-cross-country on a vacation. I'm back now, and got the PCB prototype. 'Debugging' and testing right now to make sure everything's thrown together right now. Once that is done (oh, I'm guessing a week or so) I will order finilazides PCBs, and start sending e-mails out for real orders..

Mike.

Re: status update - 10/07/2003 07:16

Is there any (easy) way to be able to reverse or flip the display signal, so it could be used in reflection (like a heads-up display)?

Re: status update - 10/07/2003 10:21

Is there any (easy) way to be able to reverse or flip the display signal, so it could be used in reflection (like a heads-up display)?

I forgot that you sent me an e-mail on this..

I looked at the display, and as far as I can tell, it depends..

If sending standard text, using the display's own built-in fonts, no. I can't see an easy way to do it.

Using graphics, sure, just 'reverse' the direction and starting point of the draw..

It's probably too late, but according to the docs, they can 'custom program' the displays. Maybe they could add a command to 'flip'/mirror the display...

Me.

Re: status update - 11/07/2003 07:14

Maybe they could add a command to 'flip'/mirror the display...
I have reason to believe that this may already exist in the kernel as a compiler option. Have a peek.

(Was part of a topic of conversation in Amersfoort last weekend.)

Re: status update - 11/07/2003 07:31

I'm 99% sure that this is only for the driver to the on-board VFD. It would do nothing for the out-of-band display he's talking about.

Re: status update - 11/07/2003 07:37

OK.

Re: status update - 11/07/2003 18:33

Stupid question but can't you just mount the display the other way up? Unless I'm missing something important here...
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: status update - 11/07/2003 23:42

If you use it for a heads up display, I imagine you'd want to flip it up/down only - if you rotate the physical display you'll flip both up/down and left/right.

/Michael

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 02:16

Ahh okay. I thought I was missing something. I must remember not to post at 2:30am without thinking it over again

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 05:24

Greetings!

Not a problem. That was why I was asking, though.
Posted by: djc

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 06:42

...and how is it that the mirror knows to flip one axis, but not the other?

--dan.

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 06:57

Now, now. Such questions are best asked and speculated about late at night while intoxicated. First thing in the morning (well, US Eastern Time) is not the right time. You will likely get a boring, physics / optics related answer...

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 07:05

Ack... my thinking was bass-ackwards.

Actually you need to flip the display right/left, or up/down, depending on which axis you rotate it.

Rotate it along the horizontal axis (left-right axis) and you need to flip the display vertically as what used to be up when facing you is now down when facing away. Left and right is preserved.

If you instead rotate it on the vertical axis, what is up and down remains but what was left when facing you is right when facing away...

Just tried it in front of a mirror with a newspaper...

/Michael

Edit to Paul: 8.42 in the morning seemed to be a bit early for me
Posted by: djc

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 07:24

perhaps it depends on whether your mirror is vertically or horizontally polarized.

--dan.

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 12:31

...You people scare me sometimes.

Re: status update - 12/07/2003 12:33

... Just sometimes??? We are not trying hard enough...

It's ALIVE!! - 01/08/2003 13:10

Allrighty.. After getting over a quirk of the VFD (which noone will have to worry about), it's complete.

Right now it's connevted up to my Empeg, sitting on top of my monitor here at work. The display is rather tiny, yet bright.

I have an incredibly simple program that runs on the empeg, and updates the display everytime the song changes. Not fancy, and very crude. I'll leave it up to someone else to actually make a program worth running on it.

I'm awaiting a quote now to get a set of PCBs made..

Me.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 01/08/2003 13:31

Pics?

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 01/08/2003 13:50

Certainly.. Got pics now, just can't upload them until I get home...
Stay tuned, don't move!

Me.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 01/08/2003 16:42

The only thing I'm kinda worried about is my +5V regulator. After an hour of being on (while I was testing and playing with it), it got really, really hot.. I'm kinda hoping this is because of my +12V wall adapter which really seems to be putting out 14V.. I'm gonna let it sit in the car for a while, and see if it still gets rather hot. If so, I need to add a resistor or something to drop volts..

Me.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 01/08/2003 19:22

Okay, attached are three pics. (I think..)

#1 and #2 are of it "in Use", and #3 is an example of what happens on bootup.

Re: Pin #2.. - 01/08/2003 19:23

Okay. So you can only upload one file at a time.

Here's #2.

Re: Er, Pic #3.. - 01/08/2003 19:24

..And, #3.

Pay no attention to the "Evildoer Beware" stickys. My work e-mail is "evildoer@...", so I get alot of slak for it..
(And yes, that one that looks like it's from South Africa, is, in fact.)

Me.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 02/08/2003 00:16

After an hour of being on (while I was testing and playing with it), it got really, really hot.

How much current does it draw? After all, 14-5=9V, and if it draws 1A that is 9W of heat...
IIRC you're using a 7805 regulator? What package is it (TO-220, ....)?
You can drop some of the voltage over a resistor or a number of series connected diodes to redistribute the heat generating, or attach a heat sink to the regulator. Putting the circuit in a small aluminum box and bolting the regulator to it should be enough (beware of which terminal the regulator case is attached to though...) Another option (more expensive) is a switching regulator which is more efficient.

/Michael
Posted by: genixia

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 02/08/2003 07:45

I'm kinda hoping this is because of my +12V wall adapter which really seems to be putting out 14V

Most alternators put out 13.8V anyway so don't expect that to help. Assuming that the current and power are within the regulators specified limits, then you will need to heatsink it.
I don't see much to be gained in dropping volts across series resistors or diodes unless you are close to or exceeding the regulators power rating, in which case you should be able to get safely within spec by doing so. But ultimately, the series diodes/resistors in conjunction with the regulator will be dissipating the same power anyway, and putting the circuit in a plastic box will likely lead to heat buildup with the same eventual result regardless of the presence of any additional diodes or resistors.
So do yourself a favor and use an aluminium box. It's trivial to drill and tap a TO220 mounting position, and the aluminium will heatsink the regulator and dissipate the heat outside of the box. An added benefit is that if you ground the box then you will help reduce any EMI issues.

One other solution is to use a switching regulator, although this will add cost and another potential EMI source.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 03/08/2003 17:40

Most alternators put out 13.8V anyway so don't expect that to help. Assuming that the current and power are within the regulators specified limits, then you will need to heatsink it.
I don't see much to be gained in dropping volts across series resistors or diodes unless you are close to or exceeding the regulators power rating, in which case you should be able to get safely within spec by doing so. But ultimately, the series diodes/resistors in conjunction with the regulator will be dissipating the same power anyway, and putting the circuit in a plastic box will likely lead to heat buildup with the same eventual result regardless of the presence of any additional diodes or resistors.
So do yourself a favor and use an aluminium box. It's trivial to drill and tap a TO220 mounting position, and the aluminium will heatsink the regulator and dissipate the heat outside of the box. An added benefit is that if you ground the box then you will help reduce any EMI issues.

Yeah, actually. It had occured to me that even if I added resistors, it'd still make the same amount of heat.
Already have the hole for the TO220, and a part number for the heatsink.. I just hope it dos allright; I really DON'T want to have the thing die on me. It wouldn't make me look good in front of everyone else here.
What I *DON'T* have is an enclosure for the PCB. I haven't even LOOKED at enclosures.. (Actually, even worse - it never crossed my mind that an enclosure would be wanted.. I'm not going to be using one for mine..)

Thanks!
Mike.
Posted by: bloch309

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 11/08/2003 08:52

How much for an PCB Assembled, W/VFD Display?
(isn't Display redundant)

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 11/08/2003 11:13

...Stay tuned. I'm working out details right now. When I get it all done, I'll post here and in the For Sale board..

Me.
Posted by: lopan

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 27/08/2003 06:13

did anyone check these guys out? Sorry if it's already been discussed...

The more I look... they probably don't have anything you guys can use... a lot of nice serial lcd's though... sorry

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 27/08/2003 20:40

They're nice displays if you just want display a small-ish amount of text (in fact before I got my Empeg I built my own player using one of their displays).. Maybe okay to augment the Empeg display, but certainly not good for replacing it. The VFDs foxtrot, Hugo, etc and I are using are graphic bitmap modules that can display just like the Empeg.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 03:40

Greetings!

Actually, I believe these are the ones that he is planning to use with the kits he is developing.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 05:13

They're not the same. He's using a Noritake Itron one which is the same manufacturer as the VFD in the Empeg itself. The main differences are that the VFD is different size and has a TTL level RS232 interface.
The CrystalFont ones are from somebody else from what I can tell. They've also got the TTL -> RS232 level conversion circuitry built in.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 05:43

Oh. I was unclear in my post. I know that they are using the Noritake version in the projects.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 05:48

in fact before I got my Empeg I built my own player using one of their displays

Cool... Me too, I had some dos application (can't remember what it was called) with a 30 gig HD and an advantech biscuit pc board mounted on the HD. It was kind of a cool setup except for the junky number pad I had to use to operate it. But it did work well....

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 08:35

Speaking of which, I am still awaiting a prototype from the PCB manufacturer (make sure they got my files right and all the holes are in the right spot, then I'll go ahead and order a whole slew of them. So, I'm thinking in about 2 weeks I'll be ready to take and ship orders.

Those LCD ones aren't bad displays, I do like the fact that they have different backlighting available. (Their web pages suck, tho, as the "order process" would work for me, couldn't get any prices..)

Me..

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 13:05

I had some dos application (can't remember what it was called)

mpxplay? I used it on one of my early carputers.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 13:23

mpxplay?

Thats the beast... and hey... it supports ogg

Mike, I definately want of those assembled boards when you get them all straightened out! I did put my name on the list... did you ever decide firmly on which vcd module you would use? Is it going to be the same one in the pic or something else?
Posted by: robricc

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 13:24

I used it also.
http://www.spmicro.com/mp3sidekick/

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 13:46

Cool... this was mine

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 13:49

Wow that's small. And it looks like your actually made it into a car. Mine never had the chance before I got the Neo 35.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 13:52

It did, and worked well... til the neo35.. I had issues with the clunky number pad, it worked well but I'm a stickler on appearance

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 28/08/2003 21:56

This was mine.. Old Powerbook 5300, hacked up Gravis gamepad for key input, CrystalFontz display, Maxim power regulator (now part of my remote empeg board), and I wrote the software (eew.. pre-Carbon/Cocoa programming). Playlists, ID3 tags, shuffling, sort of editing the play queue on the fly, the whole deal. Then I put it in my (almost new at the time) Miata, and a couple months later got an Empeg and ripped it all out (Then last month I ripped all that out and put it in the trunk for my trunk install insanity).

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/08/2003 05:40

Wow... thats kind of cool! very impressive.... those were the days

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/08/2003 07:32

I lost my pics when my webserver went belly-up about a year ago. I had an Advantech SBC with onboard LCD controller hooked into a 8.4" TFT, slot-loading laptop DVD drive, DC-DC power supply....etc... I had it all running and ready to install in the car when the fire sale happened on the Empegs. I sold it off in pieces after I got my empeg. While it was far more powerful and flexible hardware-wise, there was nothing software-wise to come close to the empeg. Plus updating it would have been a pain.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/08/2003 07:36

yeah... empeg definately is easier to use. Mine wasn't too bad it was small enough to unplug and take inside... I actually had it dual boot dos/win98 with an autoexec that just auto loaded dos after 3 seconds if I didn't press a key. So I'd just haul it inside boot up 98 and pull the stuff off the network. I was using an advantech board too.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/08/2003 07:43

In theory you could write an ARM emulator and run the empeg software on top of that... It's not impossible and since the hardware is accessed through the drivers you could even make it work with other hardware.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/08/2003 08:03

I sold it off in pieces after I got my empeg.
I sold mine as a complete system running Win98 and then it came back to me a few months later after the onboard NIC died. Its been sitting on top of the (former) router in my office since then.

http://www.robricc.com/misc_images/mp3sidekick.jpg
Posted by: cookie_77

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/08/2003 17:17

In theory you could write an ARM emulator and run the empeg software on top of that... It's not impossible and since the hardware is accessed through the drivers you could even make it work with other hardware.

That would be naughty and you should not be even thinking it.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/08/2003 17:24

Hey. I never said I was going to do it!
Posted by: mcomb

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 30/08/2003 02:36

It is funny how many of us almost had something working before we bought our empegs. I had a PowerMac 6100 set up with some elaborate AppleScripts for voice recognition and a keypad for basic control that I never quite finished because I didn't want to spring for a DC-DC power supply and some sort of keypad when I broke down and bought a MP Shuttle which served me in a more or less acceptable fashion until my number came up for an empeg.

Oh, and I love this quote from Rob in that thread...

In reply to:

I don't think it'll take much longer before people work out that a minidisc player is much better value than a solid-state MP3 walkman, and then technology will progress.

I don't think that ended up quite the way he thought

-Mike
Posted by: ricin

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 02/09/2003 09:32

Off topic here, but mentioning the Mini Disc player reminded me of this. Mini Disc players haven't quite died off, yet.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 03/09/2003 09:19

I was thinking the exact same thing about an ARM emulator the other day- naughty as that would be. It would be fun to get a Mini-ITX box and make it a "virtual" Empeg..

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 03/09/2003 11:43

It's not viable anyway. There is a lot of emulate and it'll be very hard to do. The DSP does a lot of stuff and there isn't any documentation on the internals apart from write blah to blah and this happens.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 04/09/2003 08:32

QEMU seems to be able to emulate ARM on a x86. You'd still be looking at emulating the display, IR, slave USB (at least enough to get the player to think it exists), DSP and Hijack. DSP probably wouldn't be too tough since you wouldn't actually emulate it- you would just make the player think it's there and pass along the sound to the host system. Display and IR would be no real problem- that would be the fun part. The Kernel mods and stuff could get hairy hmm...

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 04/09/2003 08:47

You wouldn't be able to get the tuner working as part of the decoding is done in the DSP itself. Also the equaliser won't work because that's done by programming the DSP as well.
It'd run but a lot of the features won't work and you might as well use the rioplay client by then

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 17/09/2003 00:23

In reply to:

Speaking of which, I am still awaiting a prototype from the PCB manufacturer (make sure they got my files right and all the holes are in the right spot, then I'll go ahead and order a whole slew of them. So, I'm thinking in about 2 weeks I'll be ready to take and ship orders.

Any news Mr Foxtrot ?
Posted by: new_guy

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 20/09/2003 14:48

I have a VFD for sale in the for sale section if anyone is interested.
Posted by: Major_Sarcasm

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 22/09/2003 13:25

Lemmie get this straight, 'cos /me is pretty thick sometimes...

This will work independantly of the Empeg's main display, so you can have visuals on the Empeg and track info on the extended display?

If this is so I will deffo sign up!

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 24/09/2003 02:28

Yes, but refresh rate will be limited for visuals depending on the choice of displays.
Posted by: johnmcd3

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/09/2003 01:44

refresh rate will be limited for visuals depending on the choice of displays.
Actually, he wanted to just run track info on the extended display, so the refresh rate isn't a big deal.

Major_Sarcasm: The point was that the extended display will be slower to respond than the built in one. That and it won't necessarily be able to provide as much information as the standard player software.

Is there any way to look at the next songs in the running order in software, to create something like a now and next mode?

John
Posted by: tonyc

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 29/09/2003 06:49

Is there any way to look at the next songs in the running order in software, to create something like a now and next mode?
Yes, I've done it. However, the empeg guys keep insisting the format of the dynamic data partition is going to change soon, at which point what I have will break. At that time, I'll need to either reverse-engineer the changes or beg them to provide me with the new specs.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 04/10/2003 13:58

*bump*

Any word on the boards or progress with the kits?

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 06/10/2003 04:06

I'm also interested if any progress has been made in recent weeks especially with the progress V99 has made in controlling the empeg remotely.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 06/10/2003 16:15

Thinking about this with the other thread in Techincal, I'm starting to want to do a mock fascia design. You use an old fascia, or one of tims NewFace's, recreate the buttons, and add the VFD. All still connected via serial of course. It could much easier to mount anywhere you want if you wanted to do other stuff in your dash. It could even be possible to do illuminated buttons again, maybe run off the car's lighting system. Just an idea to throw out there! I don't have the knowledge or skills for it, but maybe someone else thinks this is a good idea.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 06/10/2003 19:52

Sorry guys. I admit, I've been slacking, mostly because of other projects (admittedly non-Empeg) that have been sucking up all my freetime (and worktime - heck, my BBS visits here have been less frequent.)

I am ready to have the final boards made, and this week I will have a few set-in-stone prices for kits/PCBs/etc.

However, the downside is that between Oct11th and Oct26th, I'll be completely out of reach. (I have to drag two 1200lb, 27-feet tall masts from Oregon to Georgia.)

SO. As soon as I get back, I will start taking orders, fillin' them, and shipping them. The only thing left is to bug a programmer on here and get them to make it actually DISPLAY something. (I had started a small program, and it works.. kinda. But I'm not that good at makin' things from scratch, only changin' them afterwards.. )

Me.

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 07/10/2003 00:34

SO. As soon as I get back, I will start taking orders, fillin' them, and shipping them. The only thing left is to bug a programmer on here and get them to make it actually DISPLAY something. (I had started a small program, and it works.. kinda. But I'm not that good at makin' things from scratch, only changin' them afterwards.. )

Fantastic news. I can sense my HU display fast approaching ...

Re: It's ALIVE!! - 08/10/2003 08:10

In reply to:

Fantastic news. I can sense my HU display fast approaching ...

Yeah.. I was approached by a coworker that does machining, and he saw the display, was interested, and after a short talk, he's making me a little custom enclosure to fit the display in my Mini.

Me.

Sweet! It's in! - 20/10/2003 21:00

Got a call from my roomie today saying that my package from the PCB manufacturer is in. Meaning that it's probably the final to the PCB I've been waiting for. (Second final, actually. First final had the friggin' holes too small. Impossible to DO anything with it!)

I won't be home until a week from today, and once I get home, I'm ripping the package open and then will post on here, and start taking order. *happy dance*.

Sorry for taking so, SO friggin' long (what.. 8-9 months, now?). Having never done this, I now know what NOT to do, and to do differently in the future. (If I ever have a lapse of judgement again and take on another project, that is. )

Thanks for peing paitent, ya'll!

Mike.
Posted by: Micman2b

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 20/10/2003 21:36

In reply to:

Thanks for peing paitent, ya'll!

Reminds me of a moment last Friday eve while i was 'watering mother nature'...

Sean in NC

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 21/10/2003 02:36

Mike,

Any news on the programing side of the project?
Posted by: snoopstah

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 25/10/2003 12:32

This sounds pretty cool. My new car has absolutely no way of fitting a normal DIN-sized headunit without serious modifications to the console, so a solution like this that lets me mount the empeg in the glovebox is exactly what the doctor ordered!

Keep me posted with progress!

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 25/10/2003 23:56

When someone has one ready to use I'll put together basic software to drive the k610a. My software for the 9000-series works fine, it could (and someday will) draw a lot faster but it's plenty usable in my car every day.

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 27/10/2003 10:50

Sounds great Vincent. Hopefully we'll here from Mike soon. In the meantime I'm trying to get my empeg installed in the trunk of my Saab with the sound and remote control working. Then I'll be able to help test the VFD set up. How many wires would I have to run from the serial to TTL adapter up to the front of the car to attach to the VFD? 1 or 2 for serial communications , ground, power, any others? I'd like to get these wires run ahead of time.

Bob

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 27/10/2003 14:35

I just ran a long serial cable to mine, but I supply the power from the dash and not the trunk/empeg.. The only other thing you might want is one extra for the display's busy line, it may or may not end up being needed.

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 27/10/2003 18:07

In reply to:

Mike,
Any news on the programing side of the project?

Absolutely not.
I can't program worth a crap(*), and with the sites I do mastering for taking up more and more time, I haven't been able to get around the little hurdle I'm stuck at now.. There are much better programmers out there, I'll let one of them tackle it.

(*)= I actually HAVE a smallish program. It works, save for one thing. As soon as my program goes to read /proc/empeg_notify, Hijack stops capturing the player's once-a-second output notifications, which screws up any commands I'm trying to send the display.. :/

Me.

Re: Sweet! It's in! - 27/10/2003 18:11

In reply to:

How many wires would I have to run from the serial to TTL adapter up to the front of the car to attach to the VFD? 1 or 2 for serial communications , ground, power, any others? I'd like to get these wires run ahead of time.

If you don't need my board to supply power, then just two - Rx/Tx. You'll have to do a TINY mod to the display itself, tho. Power would be Ground and +5v. (I use a 10-pin ribbon cable from the board to the VFD, pins 9&10 are shorted on the board for the VFD.)

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 13/11/2003 18:48

Okay ya'll. The board's ready for me to order a set. I will order them in batches of 25. The proto they sent me they used a 'black' solder mask, which looks pretty cool. Since the price difference is only slightly variant, I thought I'd ask -
Green okay? Or would ya want it in Red, Blue, or Black?

(The prices - NOT final, just for the PCB - are $12/green to the most expensive, $16/black.)

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 13/11/2003 18:52

Ferget it, actually.
Just got a great quote from a different manufacturer of $10/board for standard green.

If anyone WANTS a different color lemme know, I'll order them one-on-one at the end of the standard run. (I'm only offering this because the colors are just too cool. )

Me.

Final Prices - 13/11/2003 20:15

(Okay, this is going to be short. I have a whole PAGE of stuff written out, and IE crashed. Rrrg.)

In short, the prices are slightly inflated from what they can be ordered from on Digikey. This is to cover shipping charges. Don't like it, don't order. I'm not making any money offa this, and if you take the time I spent, I'm losing alot.

VFD prices my change SLIGHTLY, can't find my e-mail on the set price for these. (I'll update if need be.) KIT - You solder up yourself. ASSMB - I assemble it for you. Either way, you need a ribbon cable, a VFD, and an Empeg. If you want ribbon cable, I will supply on the side for extra $. (Don't know exactly how much yet.) Assembled boards will be tested.
Will accept PayPal ($, £, and € - for the latter two an extra 5% will be tacked on to cover 'conversion' charges. Standard paypal fees, I eat.), MO/CC, COD (Fedex - Secured payment: CC/MO).
Kits will ship first, the assembled units. (Faster for everybody.) Kits will have instructions (I'll post them online when they're ready.) Prices don't include shipping, I will ship over to you english blokes, no fear.

PCB-KIT: $35
PCB-ASSM: $65
PDC-KIT-VFD: $135
PCB-ASSM-VFD: $165

If you want a colored PCB (like a Red on, to mact your Empeg Screen!) and/or a ribbon cable, PM me.

In short, I had fin with this - new learning experience. I hope someone can make a useable software for it. I started, but ran into a few stumbling blocks along the way (and because my webdesign services are stepping up, I don't have time to sit and argue with the program.)

Re: Final Prices - 14/11/2003 01:42

Check your PM !

Re: Final Prices - 14/11/2003 08:21

Heh.

Everyone, hold off ordering just yet.. I need to verify VFD prices first.

I will then go thru people who 'preordered' and let then comfirm/deny that they still want it. (Hey, it's only fair..)

I'll be shipping via Fedex (easier and faster for me), overseas will get EMS (unless they would like Fedex as well.)

Mike.
Posted by: brendanhoar

Re: Final Prices - 14/11/2003 10:07

> (Okay, this is going to be short. I have a whole PAGE of
> stuff written out, and IE crashed. Rrrg.)

I've come to the conclusion that I need to copy any large web-form submission to the clipboard (or clipboard, then notepad) before submitting, to prevent browser crashes or, more commonly, credential expiration from taking out my submission. Annoying, yes.

-brendan

Re: Final Prices - 14/11/2003 11:12

Yeah, I think it does it on purpose. Like a randomization thing.. If you're over your median # of characters in a textbox, give them a 25% of crasihing when they click a submit button.

Me.
Posted by: snoopstah

Re: Final Prices - 17/11/2003 08:06

Awesome news! Any pictures of the final product - i.e., what we get through the mail? (Or when we've built it)

Is anyone working on software? (this is not an offer of help - I have no knowledge in this area)

Glad to hear you're willing to ship over here though!

Re: Final Prices - 17/11/2003 12:44

I can supply a pic, sure. Gimme a day and I'll get it posted..

The board size is 2in x 3in, in case I forgot to mention it..

Me.

Pics... - 20/11/2003 09:03

Someone asked for pics, so.. here's pic 1. (Need it bigger? Lemme know..)

Re: Pics... - 20/11/2003 09:04

...and pic 2.

(How do you insert something into the post itself? I can't seem to remember, and can't find anything on it..)

Re: Pics... - 20/11/2003 09:53

You edit the post to add an [image] link to the url of the attachment.

Re: Pics... - 20/11/2003 10:09

Re: Pics... - 20/11/2003 12:42

In reply to:

You edit the post to add an [image] link to the url of the attachment.

Aaah, okay! Like a recursive.. attachment.

Thanks!
Mike.

Displays... - 21/11/2003 21:24

..are in, thanks to Mr. Paul.. I am currently getting the "confirm order" page up and ready.. I'll have it up monday evening, (US/EST time). The prices I posted before will be it. Displays add $100 to the price.

I will go thru the list and send e-mails out to everyone who pre-registered @ www.pandahead.com/Xcrawl/vfd_signup.php -- They will be able to order (using their original e-mail address) before others. If you want to pre, you cat at the same url. Then, once I hear from everyone who pre'd, everyone else will be allowed to order...

I get the boards in Monday, and the parts from Digikey shortly after. I'll get the (simple) instructions up as well, p[ossibly make a permanent webpage so it dosn't look like some thrown-together project , and get them out in time for the 'olidays.

Me.

Re: Final Prices - 18/12/2003 00:29

Last thing you said that I see is something about verifying VFD prices. Do you have the kits otherwise? I think I already have a K610A VFD in the next room...

Inscructions, beta. - 18/12/2003 16:40

Allright guys, Got the PCBs in, and am awaiting one last shipment from DigiKey.. I'm going to, tomorrow morning, start e-mailing the folks that pre-registered, and start getting them together.

Attached to the message here is a pre-run of the instructions. I have to finish the intro and test #2, but most of the meat is there. Glance over it, and let me know if it needs more work, etc. Its ~240k. (Have to re-find my Adobe Maker. The fonts are off and it's rather large. Apologies.

[Edit: Nevermind. Don't click the link. See next reply..]

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 18/12/2003 16:52

Glance over it, and let me know if it needs more work, etc. Its ~240k.
And the BBS has a file size limit of 200k for attachments...

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 18/12/2003 18:05

And the BBS has a file size limit of 200k for attachments...

Doh! I saw the little 'attachment' link there, never occured for me to actually try it. Okay, gimme until later tonight.

Me.

Inscructions, part 2. - 18/12/2003 19:39

Okay. Try these. You'll notice that the meat and potatoes of it look much like PCA's tuner docs. Imitation is the best flattery, no? The format works, in either case.

Me.

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 21/12/2003 11:09

Any luck with the software end of things? Last I remember, you were still looking for developers that could write and application to drive the external display. That might be a great wishlist for a 3.0 enhancement...

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 21/12/2003 17:51

I personally haven't gotten anywhere. (Of course, like I said earlier, I'm NOT a programmer. I got as far as getting the basic information (Song, Time, Artist, Source, etc.) and displaying it. However, halfway thru my 'development' something changed in Hijack that now whenever I 'open' /proc/empeg, the supression of the notify strings from the player stops. So the player's output messes up anything I was trying to send the diaplay. I'm sure it's something dumbn that I'm (not) doing, but I don't know all the little ins & outs of C..)

Me.

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 21/12/2003 19:06

V99 was going to help get something going. I think he's been busy lately, but hopefully he'll get sometime to help out.

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 23/12/2003 12:50

Yeah I've been busy.. I've got some time now but I'm out of town and didn't bring my 7000 with me. I'll see what I can get done cleaning things up from my 3900 code and implementing the protocol without having to test on hardware.

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 23/12/2003 20:09

Yeah I've been busy.. I've got some time now but I'm out of town and didn't bring my 7000 with me. I'll see what I can get done cleaning things up from my 3900 code and implementing the protocol without having to test on hardware.

If you want a small one to test on, let me know. I can send you my assembled beta to test with..

Me.

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 24/12/2003 12:27

Thanks V99, this is going to be really cool

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 27/12/2003 16:11

Turns out the 7000 is just about exactly the same protocol as the 3900, just a couple minor differences and the 3900 does some extra stuff.. So I have a theoretical implementation for the 7000. The k610a's protocol is very limited and simple so that's easy.

I also spent some time working on the drawing algorithm since it's particularly important to me (high res + slow serial on the 3900), think I came up with something decent. We'll see when I get back tomorrow.

If you want a small one to test on, let me know. I can send you my assembled beta to test with..

Sounds like a better idea than going back and forth with you seeing what works.. See PM.

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 07/01/2004 04:25

I also spent some time working on the drawing algorithm since it's particularly important to me (high res + slow serial on the 3900), think I came up with something decent. We'll see when I get back tomorrow.

Just curious V99, does this mean the refresh rate will be increased for menus and graphics? The 3900 is a perfect size for my vehicle but I thought it might be a little slow compared to the 7000 which easly fit.

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 07/01/2004 18:10

Yeah, if you draw things in a more efficient manner then there's room for more frames down the serial.. It worked fairly well, many of the visuals are fairly usable now, but the 3900/7000 doesn't have a latching command to update the display all at once so you can sort of see it drawing, and the algorithm I had looks bad like that.. I think there's offscreen memory I could draw to and then move the viewport though to do the same thing.

I can record a video of the 3900 (and the others once I get the 610 from foxtrot and test my 7000) if you want to see how fast they are.. Like I said before I find it perfectly usable.. The main slowdown with menus is that it tries to draw 2 or 3 intermediate frames between each slide of the menu, and each one takes a while.. maybe I can detect when menus are up and turn down the sampling rate.

I'm not done improving it though.. I need to check which commands obey they XOR drawing mode, because that could speed things up considerably, especially for some of the visuals (you can just draw 1s on all the pixels that changed, without worrying about whether they changed to 1 or 0). Checkerboard patterns in visuals or the clock are murder to the current algorithm (which draws long vertical lines, then the rest with horizontal lines). Last time I looked it seemed to be useless but I think I was drawing bitmaps at the time.

I also need to look into using startup macros to show a boot logo/animation and hide the junk the empeg sends @ 115.2 before the player app starts (only the 3900 supports that.. the 7000 is 115.2 so you'll just see the boot log, for the 610 I guess you're screwed unless you do something with a timer chip to disable the serial line for the first few seconds after power's applied). And increasing the priority of the joystick input app so it doesn't get starved by the player. And getting access to Hijack from joystick. And...

Re: Inscructions, part 2. - 07/01/2004 18:13

maybe I can detect when menus are up and turn down the sampling rate.
Or ask the Cambridge guys nicely for a config.ini option in 3.x to remove the menu animations to help support your external display?

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 07/01/2004 18:18

Dumb question: how did you take pre-registration? I know I expressed interest here but if you did something more formal, I missed it.

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 08/01/2004 10:36

Ah, I mentioned it somewhere. It's over at this page:

http://www.pandahead.com/Xcrawl/vfd_signup.php
Forget the 'Xcrawl' stuff. Just using their server for temporary holding space.

Even though I'm going to actually start taking orders Monday, I'll be going through all the ones who signed up first. So go ahead and preorder, I'll get to ya'll first.

Me.

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 12/01/2004 18:02

Woo.

So I assume you haven't decided if you'll be doing "with VFD" yet? I don't see a way to "modify", but if you do I was going to switch to 1 with VFD and 2 without.
If not, eh, no big deal.

Thanks a ton for doing this. It was on my list of "eh, I should do that" projects that never quite ever get to the top of the pile.

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 12/01/2004 21:42

Right now, I'm going to hold it at one. No matter how many PCBs you get.
I got a limited supply from pgrzelak, which he got from Noritake. (About.. 20 units.) Once first run of orders are gone, I'll let people order extra units seperately. (Maybe he'll sell 'em directly.)
So, for now, I'm limiting it to 1 VFD per person. As many PCB's as you want..

Thanks!
Me.

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 12/01/2004 22:13

Ok. So can I switch my order from 3 boards, to 2 boards and 1 board+VFD (all kits) somehow, or will you be mailing when you get that far?

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 13/01/2004 03:48

Mike, will you still be notifying by email those who signed up?

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 14/01/2004 16:58

Mike, will you still be notifying by email those who signed up?

Yes, everyone who preordered will be getting an e-mail, starting Friday (have to finish my little web-script), in order of folks who signed up..

The e-mail will contain what you originally signed up for, and the link to verify your order. (You can change it, too.)
Had a tiny setback, as digikey sent me 25 pieces of a connector that .. well.. I can;t do a thing with. So I'm waiting for the CORRECT ones to come in.

Me.

Re: Inscructions, beta. - 14/01/2004 17:00

Ok. So can I switch my order from 3 boards, to 2 boards and 1 board+VFD (all kits) somehow, or will you be mailing when you get that far?

Yeah, I'll drop you a line when you're up. You're free to change it.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 29/01/2004 16:26

Floodgates are open!
I'll be sending out e-mails to people who have signed up before hand, and then, in a few weeks, everyone else can order.

Thanks!
Mike.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 29/01/2004 18:11

Woohoo!
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 03/02/2004 18:40

Awesome, this sounds exciting. But I haven't been following it closely so I don't know all the details. Is there a site or some other place where this project and product are summarized? Oh, and the Xclaw\something.php link didn't work for me. Thanks.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 03/02/2004 21:01

Yeah, the pretty summary is the first post here. Not much has changed when I posted that. If you have specific questions (Will it walk my Dog? Will it change my oil?) then ask, I'll try my best to answer.
(For the record, both those questions are 'No'. Sorry.)

Me.

[Edit: The 'Xcrawl' link is down. I'm into the "taking real orders now" phase, and once I get thru the people who pre-reg'ed, I'll open it up to everyone else..)

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 04/02/2004 03:14

As far as software, I'm waiting on a display from Mike to work on all three models at once. Actually, I got the board (looks really nice, btw) and glass, but he forgot to include the ribbon cable , so it's currently making a nice paperweight. I use the 3900 in my car, someone else has a 7000 (and I do too), and anybody getting Mike's board presumably has a 610.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 04/02/2004 08:02

I'm the one with the 7000, anxiously waiting . If anyone wants ordering info I ordered it thru Digikey and would be glad to provide more info on the display or hooking it up etc.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/02/2004 14:24

I haven't seen the 7000 display. Is the connector compatable with the 10-pin connector on my board? (Just curious..)

And that Ribbon Cable made it out. A little late, but..

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/02/2004 15:00

It has an rs232 connection instead of TTL. I believe it had a 9 pin connector but I'll have to check it. (It's been in the car for a while...and I can't remember) I did buy the development kit which came with soldered connector pins and a ribbon to rs232 cable among other things. Without the development kit the connector pins have to be soldered to the display. (Not a big deal for most on this board )

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/02/2004 15:32

It's 6 pins in one row; power, ground, data, busy, and..two other things that aren't important. The 3900 is 7 or 8 wide, because there's an extra pin for the display to send stuff to you. It also requires a special connector that I got from digikey to attach, you can't just stick a hard drive ribbon cable in (the pins match, but it has a socket around it).

So they're not going to be pin-compatible with Mike's board), but one could always make new ribbon cables.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/02/2004 16:39

I wonder where mine went. Post office hasn't left me any toys...

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 13/02/2004 18:47

Just a small heads up -
There's gonna be a short delay in shipping these buggers out. V99, testing my original board (that worked for weeks for me) shorted out and overheated, melting the sucker. (The VR, I mean.) The orders I sent out already I tested fine, they lit up the display, not a problem. However, three other boards I had handy, made from the same batch as the ones I just shipped, did the same thing. I'm trying to locate the source of this confounding issue. If you paid and HAVEN'T gotten anything, hang tight. You'll get your order, promise.

If you DID get an order from me, and it did NOT have any included documentation (I sent a few out all at once, and got everything screwed up. But they WORKED!) I'll be posting another small PDF in a biit about connections for power and the VFD..

In short (no pun intended), don't feed it more than 12V DC thru the plug. The plug is NEGATIVE shell, positive innards.

For the VFD, Pin #1 on the PCB is on the same side as the switch is. (Up, when reading the "RS232" text). Pin #1 on the VFD is also on the top, when looking at the display like you would normally.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 13/02/2004 20:33

Hm. Guess I'm glad I don't have the ribbon crimped yet and so haven't tested it

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 14/02/2004 05:39

Actually, it happens with or without anbything plugged in.

I can't be responcible for anyone starting another Chicago Fire! Even if you DON'T have a cow!

Me.
Posted by: TommyE

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/02/2004 15:14

Software for VFD board.

I'm wondering if there are any software available to drive the VFD board?

If not, would the info that the 3.0 player outputs on the serial port be enough to
get it up and running?

TommyE

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/02/2004 16:57

If not, would the info that the 3.0 player outputs on the serial port be enough to
get it up and running?

yes and no. If you can catch it and parse it out, then yeah, not a problem.
The display *WILL* try to display the info the the player app spits out , however, the display will wrap the cursor - so that once it reaches the end of the display, it loops back to the beginning (left side), but NOT drop down, so it will over-write what was just displayed...

(Note that I haven't actually seen 3.00a3's output. II'm basing it all on 2.00's output..)

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/02/2004 18:50

I'm wondering if there are any software available to drive the VFD board?

When I eventually get a way of running the 610 from Mike that isn't a fire hazard , I will update my software for the 3900 to drive it and the 7000s too.

get it up and running?

That's one thing I'd like to get rid of.. When you boot the empeg it sends the boot log out the serial port and on to your VFD. The 7000 runs at 115.2kbps (like the empeg), so seeing the boot log is okay I guess, but the 3900 and 610 run at slower speeds, so you see a garbled and non-deterministic mess.

I work around it now by just delaying and resetting the display, but it would be nice to not see it. Or see a boot logo instead. The 3900 has Flash memory and macros so I cam probably work around it there (maybe display a boot logo instead), for the other models I think we'd need a custom quiet kernel. Or one that boots at 19.2/38.4kbps. Or a relay that disables the VFD's receive line until booting is done.

Receiving random data could theoretically put the VFD in a state where it's looking for more data and loses the beginning of the first command we send, which messes up the second, etc. Hasn't happened to me, but it could happen.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/02/2004 19:20

Is your existing software somewhere? I have one here waiting to try, and I am lazy

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/02/2004 21:37

I can email it to you if you want, but it only works for the 3900 (and kinda maybe sorta the 7000 if you disable pixel doubling.. I haven't tried it yet); AFAIK I'm the only one with one. The 610 won't work at all, totally different command set. Obviously you could modify the drawing functions to work, but you doing it instead of me would help my laziness, not yours

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/02/2004 21:40

Well, I guess given the 610, I'll be waiting, since I don't have time to deal yet.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 19/02/2004 23:30

When I eventually get a way of running the 610 from Mike that isn't a fire hazard , I will update my software for the 3900 to drive it and the 7000s too.

Yup. That's how I'm going to be remembered now. Great. Mr. Fire Marshall. (I'm waiting for it now.. SNL? Comon..)

Anyways, did some testing this past week (with the fire alarm disabled!) and so far I THINK I may know what caused it. And it's one of those WTF on my part. Not because I assumed it'd be known, but because I didn't realize what WOULD happen if you DID do it..

The Empeg's wall wart can NOT be used. While the plug is the same size (or close enough to work), the POLARITY'S WRONG. This, in turn, sends +12 backwards thru the VR, which it was not meant to handle. I still gotta do a few more tests, but right now, that's the only thing that makes enough sence to warrant a quarter-sized melted carpet spot @ V99's house...

Still working,
Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 00:42

Isn't that why the good Lord invented fuses and diodes?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 02:08

I know Mark keeps super busy creating both software and hardware...but I never knew he invented the diode.

@@small(still waiting for the almost-no-voltage-loss diode...and the battacitor...to be invented)

-brendan

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 02:32

Hm. I wonder if someone makes a polarity-inverting barrel which would let me use an empeg wart.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 04:18

The Empeg's wall wart can NOT be used

That sounds like a reasonable cause.

Yup. That's how I'm going to be remembered now. Great. Mr. Fire Marshal.

On the other hand, I ass-u-me-d that it was a 12v input and wasn't... well, backwards... when I plugged it in, and then walked away. So don't just blame yourself.

I still haven't sent the board back, I imagine it's thoroughly toasted anyway but I'll go grab one of those universal adapters that has a switch for polarity and try it tomorrow.. Every suitable brick I checked around here is negative shell.

If you don't plan on changing the boards (I'm sure that's expensive..) I think you should include a big fat warning in the package, maybe with directions on how to add the connector backwards.. Could be much worse if someone tests it on top of something flammable or expensive, or just sticks it in their car untested.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 08:12

95% of DC powered items seem to be positive tip/negative shield(barrel). I assume this is for safety/compatibility with car electrical systems so that if the shield touches a grounded point, nothing happens. Wonder why the VFD is different?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 08:55

It's not really the VFD. It's my board.

I didn't even think of how this decision would impact the wall wart, but this is what I did:

The board was ORIGINALLY meant to JUST be powered from the EMPEG itself. I stumbled upon a Digikey part that would let me add a LITTLE usefulness to the board in allowing folks to use a wall wart when not in the car.
This little doo-hickey had a "switch" in it that when nothing was plugged in, it allowed current to flow between two pins. When a jack was plugged in, the circuit was broken, and current came from the jack.
Now since we're talking about +12V, I couldn't let the pin that was ALWAYS connected be +12V.. What would happen if you had the board plugged in, and connected up to your motherboard? Or the Empeg, not in it's sled? (For the former, +12v on the DTE line would NOT be good. For the latter, I'm not so sure if it's even connected up in the Empeg itself.)
So the only thing that I could do was have the 'switch' in the jack connect and disconnect the +12V, not GND. This made the OUTER SHELL of the jack positive.

Now I realize that is probably was a dummy thing, not thinking forward to the Empeg's wall wart (didn't even know IT would fit!) and looking online at Digikey, I do NOT think there is a jack that will do what I need. (i.e. +12V in the tip, and having the 'switch' turn THAT onoff instead of the sheild.)

I'm still not 100% sure this is what it is, I'll find out today. Right now, it's leaning towards it. If it is, like V99 and dbrasher said, i have a few options, whicl I'll post here, and get ideas on..

Me.
(And don't worry. After this, I'll never do anything again. )

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 09:11

Okay.
You just gave up your right to order anything from me.

Yes, those are what diodes are created for.. Like I said in my other post, the jack was a last-minute add on, and I'm NOT an EE.

Me.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 19:00

(still waiting for the ...[snip] ...battacitor to be invented

Phillip Jose Farmer?

Brownie points to anybody who knows what I'm talking about.

tanstaafl.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 19:47

Okay, I'll admit. I had no clue and googled<tm> the name. I got sent to a page supposedly "all about him", but there's nothing ON the page about what it's all about. It dives in like they expect you to know what they're talking about. Any hints?

Me.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 20/02/2004 21:23

Any hints?

Not yet. I'm betting that Bitt will remember.

OK, one hint: "Riverboat"

tanstaafl.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 21/02/2004 02:03

@@small(still waiting for the almost-no-voltage-loss diode...and the battacitor...to be invented)

There are probably only about 4 people here who understand that syntax

Seriously, though the battacitor would be useful. There are already people talking about using a string of LiIon batteries (which have the problem that you can't pull high current from them, at least in the sizes I'm thinking of) and a string of ultracapacitors in parallel, such that you can pull high loads and drain the ultracapacitors when you need to, and otherwise just drain the batteries at a more usual rate (and recharge the ultracapacitors).

The idea of a car powered by ultracapacitors is amusing, but it would be more like a box-truck-sized trailer if you wanted any range.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 21/02/2004 16:26

> (still waiting for the ...[snip] ...battacitor to be invented
> Phillip Jose Farmer?

Yes, exactly.

> Any hints?

IIRC, a battacitor can be, er, would be charged at extremely high rates without damage (e.g. by harnessing the electrical power of the Riverworld shoreline um...devices...megawatts in 10-20 seconds...) and then you can extract the power at whatever rates you needed (e.g. for the Riverboat).

-brendan

PS - sorta miffed I missed the scifi made-for-tv version...but also sorta glad I haven't see it yet, that should give me time to read that series again...it's been around 20 years.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 24/02/2004 08:20

Ah... Hmm... Need to do mor eresearch, then.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/03/2004 16:34

Okay guys. Sorry for the delay..
Here's what I gots..

It WAS due to reverse voltage. I'm not happy about it, and TEMPTED to take OUT the Power Plug altogether and make it so the board HAS to run on Empeg Power...(Ideas? Thoughts? I do NOT wanna see a news report on CNN or BBC because someone burnt down an apartment complex because they didn't read my warning.)

Assembly instructions have been finalized. A copy will be provided with each kit order, and is downloadable (URL coming soon.)

I will resume sending kits out. Once all outstanding orders are sent, I'll resume sending e-mails. Etc, etc.

A consideration, in the future, is to offer a second revision of the board. However, right now, I don't have the money. There's a few other things I'd like to change, for cost-saving and features, sich as:
1. Adding a diode, so if someone DOES plug in a rever-power adapter, it doesn't burn down the house.
2. Changing the DPDT switch to jumpers. This way, someone could use a little header and 'intercept' signals to/from the VFD.
3. Trying to get it on a slightly smaller PCB.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/03/2004 16:49

Can you just leave the power connector out of the kit / not install it on the ones you are building? The pads will exist on the board, but you could always put a sticker over them with a warning / use at your own risk...

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/03/2004 23:46

I'd rather see a barrel plug inverter you could plug into one, but I haven't found one yet.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 11/03/2004 21:24

Both good ideas. I seriously doubt that a barrel-converter exists, unfortunately. :/
I do have part numbers from Radio Hack for a power brick and a plug that works with the board.. (It's in my instructions.. somewhere..)

pgrzelak's idea is good, I may go for that for now, anyone that wants it will have to specifically request it.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 07/04/2004 17:36

*bump*

How are things working out with the boards?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 07/04/2004 17:41

Rather well. Finishing up some orders that were placed, next patch of e-mails go out next week... All the ones that *I'M* assembling now will NOT have the external power plug, but will come with it if they want to put it in.
Kits will come with the part, it's up to the user if s/he wants to put it in..

Me, who's been rather idle on the boards lately..
Posted by: frog51

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 09/04/2004 05:28

They did a TV version? Was it anything like the books? If so, I have to get it - I like his stuff. Wonder if it made it this side of the water.

Although conceptually, I prefer the Dayworld series.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 15/04/2004 15:36

I'm the one with the 7000, anxiously waiting . If anyone wants ordering info I ordered it thru Digikey and would be glad to provide more info on the display or hooking it up etc.

Yes, more info would be awesome. I'm not sure whether to get the 7000, 3900 or 610. Are there any advantages or disadvantages of one versus the other? Any pics of your install?

Thanks

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 15/04/2004 17:56

Oh boy, it's been awhile. I'll dig out the specs. In the meantime, the 7000 and 3900 use rs-232 connections, the 7000 is about 2 inches tall and 4 inches wide while the 3900 is about DIN size. Also, the 7000 is much faster but the 3900 can have multiple screens if set up. That's off the top of my head. I've deinstalled the 7000 and switched to a din size Kenwood touch screen which I'll use with Jules new program so I don't have photos. Right now there is no program available to interface the Empeg but V99 was working on one which he was planning on releasing when all 3 screens were ready to go.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 15/04/2004 19:59

In the meantime, the 7000 and 3900 use rs-232 connections, the 7000 is about 2 inches tall and 4 inches wide while the 3900 is about DIN size.

I suppose the 610 will have to do for me; those seem a tad too large for my application. No need to dig out your specs, thanks for the quick response. I'll wait to see what becomes of the 610.

The touch screen sounds nice

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 16/04/2004 03:18

Though the touch screen is proprietary, it was easy to install and looked good in my Saab's dash. The 7000 will get transplanted in my friend's G35 (looks like it will fit where his ashtray is).

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 17/04/2004 15:03

Hey guys.
Sorry for the delay, work shipped me out to Pheonix. Anyways, Monday will see more boards go out, and more e-mails go out, fishing for orders.

Me.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 17/04/2004 16:54

Since you are fishing, I'll do a little back.

Would you trade a complete display, kit or assembled, for an absolutly mint, never had an Empeg in it, black carry bag.

Edit: If foxtrot_Xray is willing a 3way deal would work for me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 18/04/2004 02:48

Dude, you were in Phoenix and didn't come see my VFD, or collect your well done display board?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 21/04/2004 07:33

ROFL.
That MAY be worth it, since I bought mine on the fire sale, and was never able to get one.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 21/04/2004 07:35

I would have, and actually thought about it, save that I had *NO* time there, and my work completely messed up my trip. (My return flight went over the midnight mark, which confused the folks to rented my car and my hotel room, so I had to cram everything in one less day than I was expecting.)
Not to worry, I may be out there again.

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 21/04/2004 20:05

you are receptive to the idea. I'd never have offered it up for just plain cash. Well... maybe for Donald Trumph Lotto kind of money.

I do want a display, even if you decline the swap. A kit works for me.

Glenn

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 24/04/2004 10:35

Aargh.
Does anyone know of any legal loophole that allows me to destroy my office building, while maintaining my current income, and not getting arrested for it?

I'm getting shipped out to Vietnam in a week, May 2nd. I got a few UK orders out, and Hugo's (new) test board will go (back) out Monday. After that, I have to pause for a while so I can look about as out of place as anchovies on a pizza. (That's REALLY out of place, for those who LIKE that kinda thing.)

I'll be back on May 19th, and will resume then. If I didn't catch the Avian Flu thing.
(Hey! Any Empeggers here in Vietnam? Nope. Didn't think so. Darn.)

Thanks!
Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 24/04/2004 11:19

I advise you to watch Office Space. Difficulty: getting a cow-orker to embezzle and then feel guilty about it.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 31/05/2004 20:45

Hey ya'll. I'm back.

This week (after today..) I'm going to finish all the preorders. If you responded to my inquiry e-mail, you'll be sent how to pay. If your order was shipped incomplete, you'll get the rest of it; if you haven't been contacted yet, you will.

Mike.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 10/08/2004 21:10

*bump*

Any news on these?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 11/08/2004 02:47

Dang it Paul, I just about had a heart attack, seeing activity on this thread!
Posted by: JayF

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 01/09/2004 00:43

I want to order. Can I still get in?

Anyone have pics?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 01/09/2004 08:19

Actually, this thread / project has been dormant for a while. Has anyone heard anything recently?

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 22/11/2004 12:06

*bump*

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 12/12/2004 16:49

HEY GUYS!

[censored] (will that get censored?) I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pull a DarkStorm(*). Lost two jobs, got two new ones, and moved.

I did NOT die (in case anyone was actually *WORRIED* about that!) and I DID get the e-mails that were sent to me. Here's the status:

1. I have one board/ribbon set to get to UK that I've owned the poor guy for a year now. He'll be getting a refund as well, because the service on his order has been positively horrendous.
2. I need to get Hugo(**) a board so he can write software!
3. I need to resume taking orders!

I haven't been on here (or anywhere online) for a loooong while, and noticed that the number of forums tripled, and we have support for.. a whole slew of Rio stuff now.

I will get required e-mails out shortly, and will resume orders right after the holiday. Almost *EVERY* thread under the Empeg section is new to me now - anyone wanna send me an e-mail with the important things that happened? (New Facias? New software?)

Anyways, I see some familiar faces already, makes me feel better.

Cheers!!
Me.

Notes:
* - Don't mean to poke fun at THAT, nor bring up old worms. But my Roomie stated a while back, "Oh, so you did what that guy that has your lenses did. Niiice.." I hastened to point out that I only had one order paid for but not completed.
** - I've been gone fo so long, I need to make sure Hugo's still alive, and still interested in doing me this favor.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 12/12/2004 18:40

Good to hear that you're back. This is the first time I've checked this thread and after reading the last 5 pages, it seems like a cool project.

<lazy>However, I did not read all 27 pages of this nearly 2-year-long thread, so I don't really know the details of the product being offered. Is there a website with info, pics, instructions; or maybe one or two posts in this thread which define the current product offering?</lazy>

Remote VFD will become inevitable in the future when new sytlish proprietary car dashboards prevent us from installing our empegs in their proper place. Thanks for creating this.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 12/12/2004 19:42

No, there isn't. But I'll get one up before the holidays (read: before I start taking 'real' orders.) That is, of course, assuming I haven't lost everyone's interest after two years!

(Wow. Does not feel like I've HAD an empeg for over two years, much less start this little project..)

Me.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 13/12/2004 16:08

For sure haven't lost my interest!

I think I emailed you ages ago, but I'm currently unable to monitor that email address
(was probably tempsch A T telia dot com) due to being "locked up" in stroke rehab :/ (see the "status of mtempsch" thread in Off Topic...) so if you stumble upon a mail fro that address, I can instead be reached on tempsch A T gmail dot com

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 23/12/2004 03:30

Quote:
For sure haven't lost my interest!

Ditto! Glad to hear you are back on your feet.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 22/01/2005 14:42

Hey guys!
A semi-complete page is up, detailing the project. It's not yet complete, and will be updated again later today and probably after the weekend. Anyways, I'll start taking orders again within the next couple of weeks.

http://www.tsqmadness.com/info/fx_remotevfd.php

Cheers,
Me.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 22/01/2005 15:48

Kudos. Tres-cool.

-Zeke

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 22/01/2005 16:29

Quote:
I'll start taking orders again within the next couple of weeks.

Woooo...
I need to take a good look at my dash and consider things...
With a vertically flipped display I suspect it could be nicely mounted in/on top of the roof of the instrument cluster and act as a headsup display... except naybe in full daylight, maybe even then considering what's beensaid about the brightness of the small displays... - but then I wouldn't really be dependent of it anyway, as the stock DIN opening in the 206 puts the empeg where it's readable just fine...
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 08/04/2005 09:15

hey any news on this? Your site seems to be down.
Posted by: shadow45

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 14/10/2005 00:42

any developments on the software?

I recently thought about all this myself because i can't #$@#$%@#$ see the screen half the time cause its so DARK. And I've got a burn-in mark.. doh. So it was nice to find this thread but it seemed to have dead ended.

Anyways, the 3000s look really neat and I wonder what baud rate the serial port could push to it.

Using a smart algo for blits from the /proc display png (or was it a raw?) how fast could it update I wonder?

I want to get a board and test it, but they are expensive to just play with if it's not workable for the empeg.

So is anyone who was workin on this alive? if you aren't working on it any more let me know and give up the code if ya dont mind

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 06/11/2005 21:22

See this thread.
Posted by: FrankMorrey

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 29/08/2009 15:57

All,
I am Mike's brother, he passed away from liver failure due to complications of his diabetes (Type 1). Recently, going through some stuff, I found some papers and notes and some odd looking screen things. The search for the part number brought me here (GW128x32C-K610A). I don't know where I put the papers at the moment, but I have the screens still and would like to get them to someone here. Otherwise I have no idea what to do with them.

Send me a message here or on my e-mail at foxmichaels@gmail.com if interested, or if you have anything you want done with them.

Thank you kindly,
Frank.

Re: Project: External VFD Display - 31/08/2009 12:08

Oh, my. I am so sorry to hear that.

I'm probably not the right person to take that stuff, but if no one else steps up, let me know.