Display Extender Interest

Posted by: Mach

Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 01:05

Thanks to MarkM, Stu, and Patrick, I'm hoping to have a few of these board made. Would anyone else be interested? I'm guessing they'll be around $300-$400 for the set of 2 boards (sender and receiver) but we'll know more once Stu has a chance to conduct some prototyping magic.

Posted by: caseyse

Re: Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 01:59

I would be interested in a couple. What's the max. distance with reliable operation?
Posted by: MarkM

Re: Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 03:56

I have tested these to 100 feet. It's the installation of feeding cable under carpeting that's time consuming.
Posted by: juenk

Re: Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 05:02

Sound interesting (no promise yet!) for me as well. How do you control the player (e.g. when trunk mounted)? I presume the board only gives a remote display, not remote 'control'?

Jelle

nb: I do have a now disused original rio tuner, could that be useful for this?

Re: Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 05:10

One extender board is mounted to the empeg, the other board is mounted to the display. All front panel controls work. This allows for mounting the display in tighter spaces - dash, center console, headliner, etc.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 06:17

Quote:
I presume the board only gives a remote display, not remote 'control'?

Actually, a better name for it would be "Front panel extender", it means the empeg's "body" gets trunk mounted, and the entire front panel "face" (complete with buttons, knob, and IR transceiver) is at the end of a long ribbon cable.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 06:22

Very nice, is the 'connector' at the display side of the ribbon strong enough to be used as 'removable' front plate (like most aftemarket radios)?

Jelle

Re: Display Extender Interest - 25/01/2007 06:48

Probably, but the connector type used isn't very handy for quick disconnects. I'd also be a little concerned with static discharge. I have killed a few of these board sets over the years, but I can't recall which components have failed.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Display Extender Interest - 27/01/2007 14:54

Wow, that's quite a professional product. How'd I miss this project during development?

Detachable like a face plate would be amazing for stealth installs.

Does this supply the necessary power to allow lit buttons to light up?

Good work!!

Re: Display Extender Interest - 27/01/2007 16:23

I actually wasn't aware of it either. I had been asking Stu about the possibility of an extender and he showed me the link to MarkM's original post. It was an Empeg newb back then so I completely missed it.

On the button lights, good question. Perhaps MarkM or Stu can answer. I'm guessing so. I just placed an order for 10 sets of pcb boards so we will find out in a couple of months.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 27/01/2007 20:44

This design has been kept private for several years. I just got permission to share it with the public.

BTW - I haven't used an extender set with button lights.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/02/2007 02:29

I'm curious about the use of the extender. With the empeg metalwork in the trunk, you still have a DIN sized faceplate with a moderate thickness to put somewhere. That would require a big external housing to sit on the dash, or a DIN slot to sit in the dash. I know of one example where the shorter depth would help, the Volvo S40/V50 thin dash panel. But is it really that common?

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/02/2007 04:03

One common application was to make a pod that molded into the dash. We'd remove the air vent plastics and create a hollow plug on the bottom of the pod. This was a friction fit with the cable running under the dash, though the air vent and into the nice looking pod. The pod of course was covered in vinyl or leather to match the dash. When the car is sold, there's not much to do, just pull some cable out and replace the factory plastics.

There were other applications where we mounted the display in a vinyl box. Some cars had depth issues. I could see this design used in classic cars, exotics, or customs. You could put it in a small glove compartment or center console.

If the empeg fits in the dash, by all mean do that! Our installations almost always retained the factory system and hacked the empeg audio into the main system with a audio switch. The main goal was to provide access and visibility to the display without hacking into an expensive vehicle's dash or console.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/02/2007 15:45

Quote:
But is it really that common?

I could see this being quite handy for an overhead console install. You could put the display in the sunglass holder and then flip it up when you are leaving the vehicle to conceal its presence.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/02/2007 16:45

In a sense, it turns the empeg into something about the size of an ipod or a satellite radio receiver. There are plenty of interesting car mounting options for that sort of thing. People velcro them to the dash, hang them from vents, stick them in cup holders, that sort of thing.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/02/2007 18:20

Or you could install in a sun visor or center console (About half way down the page)

http://www.installer.com/pics/instpics.html
Posted by: BAKup

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/02/2007 20:49

Quote:
Or you could install in a sun visor or center console (About half way down the page)

http://www.installer.com/pics/instpics.html

These are the people I used to have my Empeg installed in my car(No, that pic of the empeg isn't my car). They managed to shoehorn in some 6" speakers in the front doors of my little Aveo. I've been meaning to see if somehow they can put a sub in the back without taking up too much space.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 02/02/2007 04:48

A sun visor install would be a little rough for the display extender. It's a little thick and heavy, unless you want to drive with the visor down all of the time. Plus there's that ribbon cable to hide. I must admit that a different cable connector on the display side could make the package smaller.

I like the idea of stashing it in the sunglasses holder located in the headliner console of some cars.

It kind of goes without saying, but I forgot to mention in an earlier post about dash mounting - please avoid any airbag locations. It would be dangerous to have a display shooting through the inside of your car.
Posted by: EtN

Re: Display Extender Interest - 02/02/2007 13:51

That'll fit in the space in the dash currently occupied by the cup holder... hmmm some kind of adapter in order to put the display to an appropriate angle and this could be my thing.... let me check in the car and get back to you .

Tony
Posted by: maczrool

Re: Display Extender Interest - 02/02/2007 15:23

I've e-mailed Patrick about R52 and R51 and also the specifics on the static discharge issues, but have not heard backa s of yet. Mark could you look for one of your boards and see whether it's R51 or R52 on the transmitter board?

Alvin has informed me that the boards will be delivered 2-6. So we are getting close to building a set.

Thanks,
Stu
Posted by: music

Re: Display Extender Interest - 02/02/2007 21:51

Where have you been all my life?

I'm definitely interested in one of these extenders!

Re: Display Extender Interest - 02/02/2007 22:05

There will only be 10 in the first run and I believe at least 3 are spoken for already, but I'm sure Alvin or someone could run another batch if this one doesn't satisfy demand.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 01:37

Stu,

I'll try to get an answer to the resister question. We still want a couple of boards for spares.

Mark

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 03:50

Mark, I had you down for 3-4 sets of boards. Given that you're the one providing the design, I'd like to offer you first shot at the 10. I'll probably take 2.

The folks above expressing interest will get right of first refusal on the remaining 4-5 boards.

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-mlord (1)
9-JimHogan (1)

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 05:13

Looks like there is a fair amount of interest here, so 2 sets is probably fine to cover us for spares. After Stu builds a few, we could probably have him repair existing boards if we get into a pinch.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 11:36

Quote:
3-Stu (?)

Believe it or not I don't think I will need any extenders. I think it's a cool idea though so that's one of the reasons I got involved.

Stu
Posted by: jarob10

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 13:45

I am definitaly interested in one set. It's been a long time since I spent any £ on the empeg.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 15:36

Alvin,

Please tack my name onto the list. I'll take one set, if available to me.

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 18:30

Looks like the 10 are spoken for.

Patrick might have a few extender circuit boards available. By a few, probably two sets if you're lucky. If you're already a friend of his, he might build a set if you ask nicely and pay him for his time. If I get in touch with Patrick, I'll let him know that it's okay to use the remaining boards.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/02/2007 22:30

Mark,

Count me interested. If these would ship from Seattle, I could even pickup. I'm planning to clean up some wiring and dents in the WRX this spring, so this would be a great addition to spring cleaning. Was there ever a definite answer about illuminated buttons?

Folks familiar with the WRX are perhaps visualizing that center pod in the dash where Subaru put the optional gauge pack.

Was there ever a definite answer about illuminated buttons? One thing that occurs to me is that if the Empeg is no longer in "I-must-remove-or-risk-tragedy " mode, then it would seem linke there might be room to revisit that -- a different/custom faceplate and LED buttons powered out of band, maybe?

And I might finally use my cherished tuner module, maybe, if I didn't feel the need to leave another headunit in the car...and...and....

Kennedy!

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 00:26

Hi Kennedy,

I'm not selling, I'm buying (2).

Talk to Mach or Maczrool on this thread. I think that only 10 sets were ordered and seem to be spoken for.

You could check with Maczrool to see if he'll build more. I doubt it's much of a money making venture for him.

Once the boards are built, I'm sure you'll find out on this forum whether or not the illuminated buttons work - seems like they would.

Good luck with the WRX.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 01:22

Mark & Jim - Names added. We've got a full 10 committed at this point but many things happen in Empeg time.

BTW, Stu is building these. I've bought 10 sets of boards so that Stu can produce the initial prototype. Once it's proven, we'll work our way through the list until they're gone. If there is enough interest from the BBS and Stu, then another batch may happen.

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-mlord (1)
9-JimHogan (1)

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 05:18

Quote:
Hi Kennedy,

Well, I did grow up in the next town over from Brookline

Quote:
I'm not selling, I'm buying (2).

I got overexcited (who wouldn't?). Got mixed up. As usual.

Quote:
Talk to Mach or Maczrool on this thread. I think that only 10 sets were ordered and seem to be spoken for.

I seemy name on a list!

Thanks.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 13:21

I guess we should ask if everyone is going to want an extender cable included or if they are going to make their own. With 100 feet of ribbon, the cost for the cable with connectors crimped on is around $75. There is only a slight price break for ordering 1000 feet over smaller quantities, so it's not going to make much difference. I believe MarkM has already indicated he will not be needing any of the extender cabling. So that would leave a maximum amount of 800 feet needed.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 14:47

Quote:
I guess we should ask if everyone is going to want an extender cable included or if they are going to make their own. With 100 feet of ribbon, the cost for the cable with connectors crimped on is around $75.

Is this the same density cable as used for the hard drives in the empeg? Or is it the lower density variety, similar to the older 40 conductor IDE (not UDMA) ribbon used for desktop drives?

How many conductors, and what spacing?
I doubt that anyone will want 100' of it. Maybe about 20', max.

Thanks
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 15:07

I have to say that I am intrigued. Ideally, I would like to purchase this as a complete kit - with the display safely mounted in a thin case that can be attached to the surface of a dashboard or console. Especially if it had a sturdy cable (or perhaps wireless???) running to a mountpoint in the trunk.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 15:38

It's higher density 25 conductor stuff (1.27mm versus 2mm). If everyone wants 20 feet we can do that.

Hope this helps,
Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 16:24

Quote:
It's higher density 25 conductor stuff (1.27mm versus 2mm). If everyone wants 20 feet we can do that.

Some cable and connectors we could crimp ourselves would be very nice; alternatively, if someone can provide Digikey or Mouser part numbers, that would be a help.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 17:03

From the photo, the cables look to be just DB25M connectors, with ribbon in between.

Right?

So we could just make those up with any compatible set of crimpable DB25M ends and cable. Mmm.. I think I have some of that lying around here, which is why I'm asking.

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/02/2007 17:21

Yes they use DB25 connectors. I've attached a parts list I compiled from MarkM's original file he posted.

Hope this helps,
Stu
Posted by: pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 05/02/2007 23:15

Hi.

The board will definitely work over 50 meters of cable, and is very tolerant of noise. In theory it would probably work over a couple of hundred meters.

pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 05/02/2007 23:19

It's just standard ribbon cable with crimp-on 25W male D connectors. You could wire up a cable with discrete wiring, of course, and it's 1 to 1 pinning, but the crimps are easier

pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 05/02/2007 23:20

I haven't been following this thread, but I just checked and I have 4, possible 5 partially built board sets here. I'm pretty sure I have all the parts in stock to finish them as well.

pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 05/02/2007 23:23

The buttons most definitely should work, from the point of view of the display board it's just plugged into the empeg motherboard. A very long cable might introduce a certain amount of voltage drop, but in any normal vehicle this would be irrelevant.

pca
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 03:46

My GF has an E46 BMW. There is a small compartment below the climate controls that is not deep enough to hold a DIN device. I think it might accomodate just the screen and controls, which would make this the *perfect* installation option.

I would like one of these kits *if* it will fit in that compartment. I need to measure the width/height of this compartment. What is the depth dimension of the display and controls with the board installed?

Am I correct in assuming that the knob and buttons will work through the extender?

It looks like all the kits may be spoken for, but please put me on the list for one in case some people back out or more kits become available.

Can someone help me understand how to install a 802.11 wireless bridge in the trunk, since the empeg will no longer be easily removable?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 05:30

All of the controls work fine using the extender.

No need for wireless, just open the trunk, disconnect the cable, remove the player, load it and put it back. You don't really need the display for emplode - having an extra display set is nice but not needed.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 05:33

Hey Patrick,

Good to see you here.

Did you see Stu's resister question?

Mark

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 10:37

Quote:
Hey Patrick,

Good to see you here.

Did you see Stu's resister question?

He replied to me via e-mail last night. He said we could use either one but he used R52 on all the ones he built.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 20:45

The boards arrived today and they look great. Here's a picture.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 22:13

Quote:
E46 BMW. There is a small compartment below the climate controls that is not deep enough to hold a DIN device. I think it might accomodate just the screen and controls, which would make this the *perfect* installation option.

That is precisely what I intend to do with mine as well.
So I sure hope it fits.

But I am obviously quite confident that it will, or else I wouldn't have already put my name in for an extender.

I guess if it doesn't, I'll try to come up with some cool household application for it instead.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 22:50

Very cool! Thanks for the update.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/02/2007 23:47

Done.

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-mlord (1)
9-JimHogan (1)
10-TigerJimmy (1)

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/02/2007 16:00

I've ordered all the parts for the first set. If all goes well we can begin taking orders. There is a 19 day lead time on the RS232 filters so it will take some time to find out.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/02/2007 23:30

I've got hundreds of them. Do you want a handful?

pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/02/2007 23:57

Yeah that would be great! I can cancel the backorder that way and get this project going.

PM sent!
Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 10/02/2007 23:47

Thanks! It looks like I'm on the list for #13. pca mentioned he has some boards. Does this mean that it may be possible to produce more than the initially planned 10 units? If so, how likely am I to get one as #13 on the list?

I did some measuring and I'm fairly certain this is exactly what I need. If it looks like I'll get one, I'll start accumulating the other stuff I need for installation...

Music, PM me and we can exchange notes on the E46 installation. I found a steering wheel -> sony stalk adapater. I'm wondering if you plan on running the inputs through the factory CD changer wiring. If so, have you found the adapter for this?

Jim
Posted by: brabax22

Re: Display Extender Interest - 12/02/2007 08:41

Can you please set me also on the list (perhaps for the first batch). I saw the thread today... Is shipping to germany a problem ? Do you know definitly the final price ?

Re: Display Extender Interest - 12/02/2007 09:14

Patrick would need say so and quote pricing. Patrick, do you want to throw your boards into the mix also?

Re: Display Extender Interest - 12/02/2007 09:18

First batch is spoken for but I'll add your name. Shipping to Germany shouldn't be a problem and pricing hasn't been set yet. Stu is building the first board set now. Once complete, he should be able to pin the price down.

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-mlord (1)
9-JimHogan (1)
10-TigerJimmy (1)
11- brabax22(1)

Re: Display Extender Interest - 15/02/2007 15:10

The first set is all built except for the filters which we are waiting to arrive in the mail. Should be any day now that they come I would think.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 16/02/2007 01:28

Quote:
The first set is all built except for the filters which we are waiting to arrive in the mail. Should be any day now that they come I would think.

Stu

Ooh, excitement! Of course, this is probably the *last* thing I need to be spending money on, but I wasn't going to let this pass by.

I am thinking of some sort of stealth housing for the display -- some sort of black aluminum box that would retract in some fashion. With no handle needed, the dimensions are reduced quite a bit..

I started looking at ways to get one-off aluminum pieces made and I found this place, eMachineShop. Have they come up before? Anybody have any experience with them? They have their own proprietary Windows CAD software that will let you design, select materials. They do have AutoCAD DXF import, too.

edit: yes, I see that outfit has come up at least a few times
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Display Extender Interest - 18/02/2007 22:54

Do you have a bare PCB set that you'd be willing to sell? I already have a spare VFD and I recon that, over time, I can aquire most of the other bits freely/cheaply without SWMBO noticing (expenditure-wise)!

Re: Display Extender Interest - 19/02/2007 10:13

Bear in mind that this system requires a complete display board, not just a VFD. The display board is removed from the empeg and connected to the receiver end of the extender, while the transmitter end replaces the display in the empeg.

pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 19/02/2007 10:14

I have three board sets left. I'll match stuart's pricing, although it will be a week or so before I have time to build the boards.

pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 19/02/2007 14:21

Yours will probably be available first. We are still waiting on the slow mail service to deliver the filters and since we don't have mail today it will be at least tomorrow before we can test the first set of boards. So it will probably be at the earliest, next week before we order more parts.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 19/02/2007 14:50

I've arranged to obtain my set from PCA, so you can drop me from the list.

Thanks.
Posted by: jarob10

Re: Display Extender Interest - 20/02/2007 11:10

As I am in the uk, maybe it would make more sense for me to procure from PCA also?

Re: Display Extender Interest - 20/02/2007 11:27

Greetings!

I am coming in on this a bit late, but I would like to add myself to the waiting list. Is there any kind of pricing? I would be interested in at least one, probably two.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 20/02/2007 11:30

$260 with 20 feet of ribbon cable plus shipping.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 20/02/2007 11:31

Probably, but remember he only has three sets.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 20/02/2007 14:00

Updated waiting list:

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)

Re: Display Extender Interest - 22/02/2007 20:22

It's alive! We got our original shipment of the two filters in today and slapped them into the one set of extenders we built and they work great! I'll post pictures in a bit, but anyway, it looks like we should be able to proceed soon. The only oversight I now see is that we need 4 female to female hex standoffs on the receiver end, but that should be easy enough to find.

More to come,
Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 22/02/2007 20:46

Sadly the illumination kit does NOT work with the extenders. We will try to find out why, but no idea so far. It tries to come on, with a flash about 2 seconds after setting the level, but it does't stay on.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 22/02/2007 20:48

Quote:
Sadly the illumination kit does NOT work with the extenders. We will try to find out why, but no idea so far. It tries to come on, with a flash about 2 seconds after setting the level, but it does't stay on.

Stu

Mmm.. I'll debug that once I get my own set of extenders from Patrick. First things to do are (1) check the +5V level at the display board, and ensure the capacitor-fix has been applied to the display board.

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 23/02/2007 00:31

Quote:
Quote:

Stu

Mmm.. I'll debug that once I get my own set of extenders from Patrick. First things to do are (1) check the +5V level at the display board, and ensure the capacitor-fix has been applied to the display board.

Cheers

Very interested to see this issue come up. I am rooting for you!

It is a coincidence, but last eve I was noodling what I might do to situate the display in the WRX. My first thought as a custom, rectangular aluminum faceplate with a 1/16" smoke lens. But then I started to wonder: What if I made the whole faceplate out of 1/4" smoke polycarbonate? Then I started wondering what might happen if I tried to put some EL backlight material behind the lexan/polycarb -- rather than light the *buttons*, light the *outline* of the buttons. I know EL material comes in custom shapes (watchfaces, say) but can you simply cut it?

One part of the appeal is that even a jamoke like me can machine some polycarb, and I could afford to throw away some failed experiments. Even if the illuminated buttons are made to work, I might pursue using this material for the install.

P.S. I am pleased to see the expected pricing on this. At a time when I shouldn't be spending the money, it is going to be less painful than I might have reasonably expected. Thanks!

Re: Display Extender Interest - 23/02/2007 02:10

Quote:
First things to do are (1) check the +5V level at the display board, and ensure the capacitor-fix has been applied to the display board.

My first thought was low voltage too. Tomorrow I'll measure the 5 volt line and also see what happens with 12 volt supply to the receiver. Not sure about the capacitor fix. This display I am using does not have it, but then it has never had any issues. Does the likelihood of needing the fix increase with lower voltages?

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 23/02/2007 02:13

Quote:
I know EL material comes in custom shapes (watchfaces, say) but can you simply cut it?

From what I've read it can be cut with scissors. Sounds like a neat project. Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 23/02/2007 13:04

The voltage on the +5V line is 4.8 volts which I don't think should be a problem. I get weird behavior with the aux power input. The standyby LED flashes rapidly and the IR transceiver LED glows a visible deep red. Since that doesn't sound like something that should be happening, I have not tried that again. I have checked and the regulators work fine outputing 5 and 3.3 volts respectively. I had the jumpers moved to the lower position which puts the regulator outputs in circuit. I do not know what the proper power up sequence is for the aux power supply or if the flashing I was seeing would go away when the Empeg is turned on, but without some input from Patrick or MarkM on how the aux input works, I think I will stay away from it for now.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 23/02/2007 16:44

I've applied the dimmer fix, but this did not help. One other bit of weirdness I noticed was that while in the Illumination level menu, the display will sometimes dim to almost invisible (0 percent level) and then later go back to regular level after a short period. When in DC mode, the dimmer menu is very unresponsive and hard to control. In fact it really doesn't like to display anything but 100 percent brightness, even if set to 0 percent. All the while the dimmer is adjusted, the button LEDs flicker on and off as if the microcontroller is having some sort of trouble interrpreting the commands. Timing issues? I think Mark was on to something with the dimmer fix, but unfortunately, the dimmer fix doesn't fix this.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 23/02/2007 20:23

Quote:
I've applied the dimmer fix, but this did not help. One other bit of weirdness I noticed was that while in the Illumination level menu, the display will sometimes dim to almost invisible (0 percent level) and then later go back to regular level after a short period. When in DC mode, the dimmer menu is very unresponsive and hard to control. In fact it really doesn't like to display anything but 100 percent brightness, even if set to 0 percent. All the while the dimmer is adjusted, the button LEDs flicker on and off as if the microcontroller is having some sort of trouble interrpreting the commands. Timing issues? I think Mark was on to something with the dimmer fix, but unfortunately, the dimmer fix doesn't fix this.

Stu

The timing for sending commands to the PIC is marginal at best when installed inside the empeg chassis. With the same signals travelling 20' or more, trouble is a definite possibility.

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 14:37

Here's a picture of it in operation.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 14:39

Here's another.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 14:40

And one more.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 15:36

Stu,

These look fantastic. It's nice to see shiny new extenders again since ours are 5-6 years old now.

You might try switching the jumper and supplying local power to the 12v connector on the display end and see if the illuminated buttons work. Patrick added this as a contingency - we never used the power connector on the display side, so I have no real world feedback.

Mark

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 19:10

Thanks Mark! I just made up a proper cable to connect from the AUX input to one of our bench supplies. We still get strange operation with the IR transceiver, but it goes away once the Empeg is turned on. We still don't any lights and the dimmer control still doesn't work. If anyone is curious, the display and receiver half of the extender draws 270 mA, except when running with the Empeg turned off. Then it jumps to 420mA. As for power up sequence, it's probably best to have the power going to the display first. We booted up the Empeg first and noticed the display faintly running with no power. Now that's some serious drive on the signal lines.

Mark, does the dimmer work properly with yours? We can set the dimmer to any value we want, but the display remains at 100 percent brightness except maybe for a brief blip of 0 percent level. It's as if the control PIC is not sending the proper bits out to the digital potentiometer. Since the same PIC also controls the LEDs on the illumination kit, the propblem is clearly related. Please let us know if you can check the dimmer.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 19:31

Quote:
And one more.

Stu

I'm too sexy for my car too sexy for my car
Too sexy by far

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 20:56

Once mine arrives here I'll put the logic analyzer onto the PIC signals and see what's up. With a little luck we can relax the timing slightly (software), which would give it more rise time to cope with the long cable.

Meanwhile, maybe try it with a 10' cable instead of 20' ?

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 21:04

I was thinking a shorter cable also. Right now it is 20 feet, I only have the one set of connectors which I don't think can be uncrimped. I believe the only signal that is affected is the control line from the motherboard, but why this should be a problem I don't know. Everything else seems to work. I'm wondering what the symptoms would be if there was no control line?

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 21:26

The control line is used to manage the brightness for the display and for the buttons. I don't think it is used for anything else.

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 24/02/2007 21:39

Since the dimmer doesn't work it makes me wonder about it. Also, is the control line really used for the buttons? I thought the button commands were sent over the IR line.

Stu
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Display Extender Interest - 26/02/2007 00:52

Hoo boy! I want one. Count me in. PM to follow.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 26/02/2007 13:44

Quote:
Since the dimmer doesn't work it makes me wonder about it. Also, is the control line really used for the buttons? I thought the button commands were sent over the IR line.

Stu

As I said, The control line is used to manage the brightness for the display and for the buttons.

The brightness for ... the buttons, not the press/release actions!

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 26/02/2007 13:57

Thanks. Misunderstood that. So basically it's as if this line were not even connected. I've checked the circuit and there is continuity on this line between all the ICs and connectors.

When do you expect to see your boards come in?

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 26/02/2007 14:37

Quote:

When do you expect to see your boards come in?

Heh.. eventually. This is Patrick, after all!

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 26/02/2007 17:23

Quote:
Heh.. eventually. This is Patrick, after all!

Yeahhh. Let me see if I can put together a shorter cable and see if that helps.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 27/02/2007 19:17

Hey! Watch it!

pca
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Display Extender Interest - 27/02/2007 19:19

"Hey! Watch it!", he responds, 28 hours later.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 28/02/2007 02:34

Hey, Patrick is a busy guy. His brain is full of ideas and new projects.

Everyone should download the video out design and take a look at his work. I want to make a giant poster out of it. If you need the impossible done, Patrick is the guy to pull it off. Sorry to talk about you like you're not here Patrick, but I always found it funny that one day you'd say something was nearly impossible, then a day later you'd come back with an idea or theory and say it's going to take a lot of work and $$$. Feel free to reply within the normal 28 hour period.
Posted by: rob

Re: Display Extender Interest - 28/02/2007 10:17

Patrick is busy on one of my impossible projects at the moment and nobody is allowed to hassle him!

Rob

Re: Display Extender Interest - 28/02/2007 14:12

Oops - too late.

At least you hire him. I haven't had any luck getting Patrick on a project for a long time.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 28/02/2007 21:30

Quote:
Hey! Watch it!

pca

(not that I'm much quicker right now.. xDSL woes and all)..

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/03/2007 10:59

Because of Rob and his impossible projects...

pca

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/03/2007 11:01

I should be building up the four board sets I have here over the weekend, life permitting. I'm going to order any missing bits today.

pca
Posted by: rob

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/03/2007 16:32

Quote:
Oops - too late.

At least you hire him. I haven't had any luck getting Patrick on a project for a long time.

The trick is to drive to his house and buy him chicken burgers until he does what you want.

Damn, given it away now!

Rob

Re: Display Extender Interest - 01/03/2007 18:01

This brings "Will Work For Food" to a whole new level...

Re: Display Extender Interest - 02/03/2007 01:09

Well, that's still at least a 14 hour trip for me, not counting the 4 hours at airports. So you're safe...unless I can order those chicken burgers for delivery.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 02/03/2007 20:41

Quote:

The trick is to drive to his house and buy him chicken burgers until he does what you want.

Ah Ha! The old chicken burger torture.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 03/03/2007 19:18

Quote:

I just built up a 10 foot cable. It's definitely not the cable length that's the problem.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/03/2007 12:45

Quote:
Quote:

I just built up a 10 foot cable. It's definitely not the cable length that's the problem.

Stu

The only way to know that for sure, is to make up a zero-length cable. Or as close to zero as possible.

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/03/2007 17:56

Perhaps I did use too strong of language by saying "definitely," but afterall the boards were said to be "designed for a 3M extension" so using a cable that is pretty close to that should get similar performance. I'd hate to waste two crimp connectors on a zero length cable at $15+ a set. At this point I would have to guess there is something in the circuitry mixing up the signal in some way, but technically you are right about the zero length cable. After Patrick's filters come in I'll build up another board and see if I get the same results.

Stu
Posted by: Jehovah

Re: Display Extender Interest - 04/03/2007 20:45

Zero lengths or negatives no problem. Call me.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/03/2007 02:16

Patrick's filters came in today, so we can begin building the remaining nine board sets. I'll PM people as they become available.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 06/03/2007 16:40

Quote:
Zero lengths or negatives no problem. Call me.

All the numbers I have for you result in the "this number has been disconnected" recording when I try them. What's your current number?

Re: Display Extender Interest - 07/03/2007 14:39

Quote:
What's your current number?

It is right there in my Sig. Plain as day. For those who truly believe, anyway.

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/03/2007 16:31

I've built another extender set, but it works just like the first, so something else must be going on. We will eventually be getting a logic analyzer as well, but for now I guess we'll have to rely on yours Mark. It's too bad you ordered from Patrick, or you might have had an extender in your hands very soon .

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/03/2007 16:57

Quote:
I've built another extender set, but it works just like the first, so something else must be going on. We will eventually be getting a logic analyzer as well, but for now I guess we'll have to rely on yours Mark. It's too bad you ordered from Patrick, or you might have had an extender in your hands very soon .

Stu

Mmm.. okay, zero for two indicates a possible design or component issue.
The likely candidates are the MAX3237 and/or MAX3241E line drivers.

The MAX3241E looks a tad slow for this application -- no timing margin to speak of, really. I'm not sure about the MAX3237 -- there's an 'E' version of that chip which does look fast enough. I wonder which exact parts you have there?

Cheers

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/03/2007 17:26

Quote:
Mmm.. okay, zero for two indicates a possible design or component issue.
The likely candidates are the MAX3237 and/or MAX3241E line drivers.

The MAX3241E looks a tad slow for this application -- no timing margin to speak of, really. I'm not sure about the MAX3237 -- there's an 'E' version of that chip which does look fast enough. I wonder which exact parts you have there?

All Es. They are the MAX3490ECSA+, MAX3237EAI+, and MAX3241ECAI+. Before buying, I upgraded the MAX3237 to the E version because it offers better ESD protection.

Stu

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/03/2007 17:46

Okay, no big difference in spec between the E and non-E version there.

Try switching to R51 from R52. EDIT: Yes, we absolutely need this, I think.

-ml

Re: Display Extender Interest - 08/03/2007 17:56

Quote:
Okay, no big difference in spec between the E and non-E version there.

-ml

Explanation: The bit transmission scheme used by the kernel and the PIC appears
to use a series of 15us and 2us pulses to send information over the control line.

A 2us pulse would correspond to about a 500kb/s transmission rate.

The MAX3237(E) requires MBAUD==Vcc for rates above 250kb/s.
Populating R51 instead of R52 gives us that setting.

Cheers

We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 18:12

Quote:

Good call there Mark. The illumination kit is happy now over 20 feet of cable! I was thinking about switching to megabaud mode to see the effect too, but figured it wouldn't matter because the receiving end is still limited to 256K isn't it? Patrick told me all his were built with R52 populated, so it looks like maybe you will have to change yours unless he's following along. I'll test the dimmer in a minute and see what happens with it.

Edit: Dimmer seems to work as designed too!

Thanks,
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 18:19

Quote:
Quote:

Good call there Mark. The illumination kit is happy now over 20 feet of cable!

Great!

Quote:
..figured it wouldn't matter because the receiving end is still limited to 256K isn't it?

That part is a bit unclear to me from reading the datasheet, but the impression I'm getting from re-reading it now, is that the 256K limit is just for the transmitters, not the receivers.

They give a different measurement for the receiver: 0.15us propagation delay, which means they should be good for at least 2mb/sec or so. EDIT: well, actually, that number mightn't even affect it, other than delaying things.. so the real limitation could be the 50ns receiver skew time. Still good for (a lot) more than 1mb/sec.

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 21:57

Aww yeah! Great work Mark and Stu! Any chance of seeing some pics?

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 23:45

Hope these will do. I never did post the back of the transmitter board, so here it is.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 23:47

The top view.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 23:48

Side view.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 23:49

Front with buttons lit.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 23:50

Angle view with lights.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/03/2007 23:53

Very nice, when are they shipping?

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 00:20

Quote:
Angle view with lights.

Mmmmm... that's just begging for a custom black walnut fascia.
And without a handle in the way, wooden fascias can be a lot less fragile now!

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 00:22

Was thinking about that today. I've yet to find the correct sized rivet to fit the regulator. I've got the diameter down, but they are still too short. I think the third time's the charm. Of course if you don't care about the rivets, they are more or less ready to go.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 00:46

Ermm, as I don't know the import of said rivets, I think I'll wait.

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 00:50

I'm with you on that one. Not having to match the handle opens up a wide range of possibilities. I've got stack of quarter inch acrylic, as well as a 2x4 magnifying glass that has me thinking.

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 01:09

Quote:
Was thinking about that today. I've yet to find the correct sized rivet to fit the regulator.

Isn't it about the same as those from PCATS tuner kits?
There might be part number floating around for those..

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 01:37

Quote:
Isn't it about the same as those from PCATS tuner kits?

Should be exactly the same. I've not come across a part number though. The problem is that the listed size panel for which they are intended is a but misleading. Even after careful measurement they just didn't fit as expected. We're having to buy ones quite a bit narrower and longer than the actual hole dimensions. Anyway I'm fairly certain I have a part number that works through my own trial and error. Once everything is verified I'll post a revised parts list for anyone wanting to tackle this one on their own.

Stu
Posted by: larry818

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 02:16

Why not just use a screw and nyloc nut? 4-40 x 3/8 should fit it.
www.mcmaster.com
91831A005 nyloc nut
91772A108 screw

What I do is to use a 0.093” plated thru hole and drive the 4-40 x ¼ screw into that. Too late here, but maybe next time.

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 02:20

Nice! Glad it all worked out. Making a new front facia would be nice since the handle doesn't apply. Walnut - now that would match my Mini.

I had a weird thought this morning. I've worked with the empeg for hundreds of hours and I don't even own one. I don't even own an MP3 player! Go figure...

Now that I think of it, I think Patrick who designed the thing didn't own an empeg player until many years after they were released.

Good job Stu!

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 12:31

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about that, and still might try it if I can't get the proper rivets. The advantage of the rivets is that they don't require any tools to install and also are nonconductive if they should fall out.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 12:54

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about that, and still might try it if I can't get the proper rivets. The advantage of the rivets is that they don't require any tools to install and also are nonconductive if they should fall out.

There's a fastener shop just a short ski trek (or bicycle ride in summer) away from here, which stocks things like this. I might pay them a visit later today..

Cheers
Posted by: larry818

Re: We Have Lights! - 09/03/2007 19:14

Quote:

Stu

With the nyloc nut, they won't fall out.

Re: We Have Lights! - 11/03/2007 14:09

Yea, good work on the lights Stu and Mark, and also thanks to MarkM, Patrick, and all others for creating this. Remote VFD on a slimline CF empeg could open worlds of possibilities. Great to see this device still having new life after all these years. Let's put those Sirius / XM suction cup mount installs to shame!

Re: We Have Lights! - 11/03/2007 21:08

Wow, those adapters are pretty cool. The relatively low cost of memory is amazing. When the empegs first came out I looked into solid state drives and it was about $1000 a GB, so for 30GB it was $30k. Now 2 16GB CF cards would run about $600.
Posted by: iank

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/03/2007 06:32

Is it too late to get in on any sort of list for one of these?

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/03/2007 11:17

I'll add you to the list. I guess you want one? You would be well into the second run, which I'm not even sure will happen but if it does, you are set.

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)
12-iank (1?)

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/03/2007 14:24

Per request, thirdeyevision has been added to the list.

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)
12-iank (1?)
13-thirdeyevision (1?)

We are at 17 sets now. If everyone in the list is definitely buying the number in the list, we only need 3 more sets to MAYBE make a second run. The first run will probably start shipping this week and trickle out as I build them.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/03/2007 23:35

I put a me too in a while back. Guess it didn't register. Please Please add me too. edit: 1 unit.

Glenn

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 00:30

Hi Glenn,

Sorry about that. I've put you in the proper chronological order.

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)
12-gbeer (1)
13-iank (1?)
14-thirdeyevision (1?)

That makes 18. Only 2 more.

Stu
Posted by: julf

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 07:35

Quote:
That makes 18. Only 2 more.

OK, OK, I'll go for one.

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 10:14

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)
12-gbeer (1)
13-iank (1?)
14-thirdeyevision (1?)
15-julf (1)

One to go!

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 15:16

I'm SOOO tempted. But I don't need one right now, my empeg is just fine in the dash where it belongs. But someday I may own a car where that's not possible. And I don't want to miss out if this is gonna be all there is.

What are the chances of future batches, if my theoretical future need comes to pass?

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 15:31

Quote:
What are the chances of future batches, if my theoretical future need comes to pass?

I'd say pretty good. If we make a second run of PCBs, it might make sense to order an extra 4 or 5 PCB sets for just in case situations. I might want one some day too afterall.

Maybe you could buy just the PCBs and hold on to it for insurance purposes? Everything else is off-the-shelf parts with the exception of the display cable on one end and the ribbon in between, but it shouldn't be too hard to make or buy either of those.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 15:41

I'm having the same thought, Tony, but I think it might not go well with me if I were to spend another $300 on empeg gear without telling swmbo. I'm tempted though. Very tempted.

EDIT: How much for just a board and cables?
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 15:54

Quote:

One to go!

Stu

Heh, stumbled in for a quick peek and what do I find...

Add me for 1 unit.

Did a quick scan of the thread and saw a rough price idea which was quite reasonable - just let me know when, how, where to and exactly how much.

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 16:32

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)
12-gbeer (1)
13-iank (1?)
14-thirdeyevision (1?)
15-julf (1)
16-mtempsch (1)

Price for the first 10 is $260. The second 10 or more will be somewhat more depending on what the price of the PCBs is. The original order was done with a discount that is no longer available, hence the increase.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 16:44

Quote:
How much for just a board and cables?

I'll let you know when I get an answer from Alvin.

Stu
Posted by: andy

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 18:53

Quote:

One to go!

You had better add me to the list for one unit then. I don't need an extender just at the moment, but I think it is worth the investment for the future, you never know when you might have a car that needs it.

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 19:15

Quote:
You had better add me to the list for one unit then. I don't need an extender just at the moment, but I think it is worth the investment for the future, you never know when you might have a car that needs it.

Sure thing. I can probably build about 8-10 of these in a week given the current work load, so as soon the last of these parts are sorted out, I will contact folks about payment.

Stu

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)
12-gbeer (1)
13-iank (1?)
14-thirdeyevision (1?)
15-julf (1)
16-mtempsch (1)
17-andy (1)

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/03/2007 23:20

Tony, as the man says:

"Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: We Have Lights! - 15/03/2007 02:51

Put me in for one, assuming the price stays under $300. The writing on the wall with the future of DIN units.

Matthew

Re: We Have Lights! - 15/03/2007 10:23

Quote:
Put me in for one, assuming the price stays under $300

Alvin just showed me some preliminary pricing which seems to indicate prices will be about $8 to $16 higher, so it would be about $268 to $276.

Stu

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-TigerJimmy (1)
10-brabax22 (1)
11-pgrzelak (2?)
12-gbeer (1)
13-iank (1?)
14-thirdeyevision (1?)
15-julf (1)
16-mtempsch (1)
17-andy (1)
18-matthew_k (1)

Re: We Have Lights! - 15/03/2007 21:29

We tested the third set of rivets and they worked, so here is the final tested parts list.

I will begin contacting those on the list to pay up front so we can buy the parts without the speculative element.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 00:24

Quote:
And I don't want to miss out if this is gonna be all there is.

That's the empeg thinking, right there. I wish I could get one, right up there with my unused tuner and (sort of) unused memory board. But I must pass..... maybe.

So, ~$300 for parts, but could you provide an estimate for assembly cost? That's what hits the electrically dis-inclined like me.

Any why not use round cable instead of flat? Seems more sturdy; less surface area to get scraped, easier to bend at angles, etc.

Oh, and before doing the second run, take down payments from everyone interested. That's one sure way to (nearly) avoid the no-shows which plague empeg hardware projects.

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 00:31

Quote:

Any why not use round cable instead of flat? Seems more sturdy; less surface area to get scraped, easier to bend at angles

That's one I can answer: assembly of the cable takes about 20 seconds, tops, with flat cable. Compared with perhaps half an hour for round cable. I'll choose the flat every time, then, thanks!

Flat also fits neatly under automotive carpeting without bulges or wrinkles showing, and can be converted to "round" style as required by simply splitting and bundling the conductors.

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 00:40

Quote:
So, ~$300 for parts, but could you provide an estimate for assembly cost? That's what hits the electrically dis-inclined like me.

Because of the volume of these, the only halfway economical way to do them is to hand solder. This takes maybe a little over an hour plus some extra time for cleaning off the PCBs, crimping and hardware installation. All in all its about $75 for assembly.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 11:51

Hi.

I am just finishing off building up the four sets I have left. Two are already spoken for (Sorry I didn't get yours out last week, Mark, I had a sudden emergency job that took me to Cambridge for nearly a week It should go out today.), but the other two are available.

Pca

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 13:16

Quote:
... a sudden emergency job that took me to Cambridge for nearly a week

My heart longs for Merry Ole England and emergencies like that!

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 14:26

Hey, you're welcome any time, you know that!

pca

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 15:45

Quote:
I am just finishing off building up the four sets I have left.

Just curious, did you populate R51 rather than R52?

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 15:50

Yes. I'm sorry, I meant to reply earlier, I made a mistake when I said R52 was the correct one I was looking at a partially, (and incorrectly) built board!

pca

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 20:17

Yes. Sorry. Put me down for one.

-Ian

Re: We Have Lights! - 16/03/2007 20:21

1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-brabax22 (1)
10-pgrzelak (2?)
11-gbeer (1)
12-iank (1?)
13-thirdeyevision (1?)
14-julf (1)
15-mtempsch (1)
16-andy (1)
17-matthew_k (1)
18-iank (1)
19-caseyse (1)

Re: We Have Lights! - 17/03/2007 00:41

Ooops, sorry I haven't sent the money. I'll do that right now. You guys can take me off the list since I'm getting one from pca. I didn't step out of line to do that, by the way, I think I was next on the list after the 10 units.

Re: We Have Lights! - 17/03/2007 13:16

Did you send the payment-details already (did'nt receive...) ?

Re: We Have Lights! - 17/03/2007 19:20

Quote:
Did you send the payment-details already (did'nt receive...) ?

First 10 only. I'll do the next 10 after the first ten are built. So far only have had responses for 7 of the 10, so I might have to move down on the list.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 17/03/2007 21:37

For totally selfish reasons - Will those asking for more than 1 defer the additional units till the next round? Please, Please, Pretty Please.

Quote:
1-MarkM (2)
2-Mach (2)
3-caseyse (2)
4-juenk (1)
5-EtN (1)
6-music (1)
7-jarob10 (1)
8-JimHogan (1)
9-brabax22 (1)
10-pgrzelak (2?)
11-gbeer (1)
12-iank (1?)
13-thirdeyevision (1?)
14-julf (1)
15-mtempsch (1)
16-andy (1)
17-matthew_k (1)
18-iank (1)
19-caseyse (1)

Re: We Have Lights! - 17/03/2007 22:29

Probably too late to turn them away. MarkM contributed the designs, so you can't really say no to him, Mach got this rolling and his have shipped anyway, and the other two-fer order has been paid for.

Sorry .
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 18/03/2007 01:05

Ok Fine.

Re: We Have Lights! - 18/03/2007 09:38

Ok - first ten. But current i'm number nine ;-) (alredy climbed up from 11). Will i get one from the first batch ?

Re: We Have Lights! - 18/03/2007 11:23

Quote:
Ok - first ten. But current i'm number nine ;-) (alredy climbed up from 11). Will i get one from the first batch ?

You are in the 9th slot for the 12th set. As gbeer said we probably should have limited it to one set per person, but we didn't expect these to be as in demand as they are and were just trying to get the leftover PCBs used up. I've taken over the project completely now from Mach and so will definitely offer a second batch that hopefully will satisfy everyone.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 19/03/2007 11:22

Quote:
How much for just a board and cables?

$34.34 for the boards and $41.18 for 20 foot cables.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 19/03/2007 13:49

Thanks, all sorted. I have built and tested all the sets I have here, and sent out two. There is one left unspoken for. Any takers?

pca

Re: We Have Lights! - 20/03/2007 07:17

Can i get it ? Then i dont need to wait for the 2nd batch (number 9 in list)...

Re: We Have Lights! - 20/03/2007 10:49

Some of you have not replied to my e-mails about this, so consider yourself bumped to the bottom. Sorry about this if you really did want one, but in the interest of fairness I had to do it.

Stu

1-Mach (2)
2-caseyse (2)
3-music (1)
4-JimHogan (1)
5-pgrzelak (2)
6-gbeer (1)
7-iank (1)
8-thirdeyevision (1?)
9-julf (1)
10-mtempsch (1)
11-andy (1)
12-matthew_k (1)
13-caseyse (1)
14-EtN (1)
15-juenk (1)

Re: We Have Lights! - 21/03/2007 04:51

I took my name off the list today, so that should move a couple of people up on the list.

Cheers!
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: We Have Lights! - 21/03/2007 19:39

Quote:
I took my name off the list today

Off, or just moved yourself to the bottom? If you want some you should definitly get some... I'd love to get more information about who exactly you work for. Visteon would be the obvious guess, but it doesn't seem likely, as they've moved on by now I suspect. Who else does secret car audio installations?

Perhaps we need a new category - I definitely want one, but I don't care when I get it. I'm buying one on the assumption that my next car won't have a DIN slot. However, I plan to get at least another 80k miles out of my current car before I go shopping for any new car.

Matthew

Re: We Have Lights! *DELETED* - 22/03/2007 03:08

Post deleted by MarkM

Re: We Have Lights! - 22/03/2007 11:26

So does the world's xxxth richest individual have them installed in more than one of his cars?

Re: We Have Lights! - 22/03/2007 15:48

Up to date list:

1-Mach (2)
2-caseyse (2)
3-music (1)
4-JimHogan (1)
5-pgrzelak (2)
6-gbeer (1)
7-thirdeyevision (1?)
8-julf (1)
9-mtempsch (1)
10-andy (1)
11-matthew_k (1)
12-caseyse (1)
13-LittleBlueThing (1)
14-EtN (1)
15-juenk (1)
16-iank (1)

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 22/03/2007 17:02

Fascinating. I always speculated Branson, but [MESSAGE REDACTED] definitely makes sense. I can also see why he would be a bit standoffish about letting people know what OS his car stereo runs
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: We Have Lights! - 22/03/2007 18:33

How did I miss this!!

I'm very interested

The OEM head unit in the new car controls the satnav somehow so this may be the only option.

If I understand this right then if I just buy a board and cable then I can (somehow) get it made it up using stock parts in the future?

If that's right then put me down for one and I'll pay as soon as anyone asks - sounds like a great insurance plan for a non-empeg compatible car in 10 years time

If not then put me down anyway - I'm 90%+ sure I have a non-trivial empeg install coming up that this may be the answer to...

Re: We Have Lights! - 22/03/2007 20:14

It's just technology. At the time the empeg came out, the only thing that compared was a slow booting, power hogging laptop. Pass the jumper cables please...

The OS doesn't make a difference whether it's a set top box, TiVO, HD-DVD player, MP3 player, game console, etc. - it's just a consumer device and you purchase it for it's features.

Thanks

Mark

Re: We Have Lights! - 22/03/2007 20:17

Done.

Re: We Have Lights! - 22/03/2007 20:38

Quote:
If I understand this right then if I just buy a board and cable then I can (somehow) get it made it up using stock parts in the future?

If that's right then put me down for one and I'll pay as soon as anyone asks - sounds like a great insurance plan for a non-empeg compatible car in 10 years time

You are correct. I've put you on the list.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/03/2007 00:37

Bit of history: I just found this 2001 post* while looking for Hugo's mini remote VFD install in the Noble (image saved 5/22/03). What ever happened to that?

I'd love to buy one of the current remote displays, but suction cup mounting it may be bulky. A little tiny VFD controled by a stalk would be so much..... cuter.

I've read talk of installing the remote display in the dash, but isn't this supposed to be an alternative to that? In other words, isn't an external housing the only way to go?

* I knew I saw that picture before...

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/03/2007 01:02

That thread brings back memories.

I don't remember seeing Hugo's mini VFD install - that's cool.

The extender in this thread allows for the extension of the full display with controls via a ribbon cable. Once you get a housing around this package, it might be a little bulky for suction cup mounting.

Mini-displays - 23/03/2007 08:46

Greetings!

I think you are thinking about this thread. As far as I know, this project is defunct. I have not heard anything about it for years. This project is one of the reasons I personally applaud Stu's request for payment in advance on the extenders, and feel sympathy for other hardware projects out there...
Posted by: robricc

Re: Mini-displays - 23/03/2007 11:37

Hugo almost gave the parts away to the mini-display project at his garden party last summer. I was quick to try and snatch them, but then Hugo thought it would be best if he kept them to himself. Although he no longer has the Noble, maybe it's something he would want to resume work on in the future?

I think the mini display is something I personally would be more interested in. I never use visuals on the empeg, so those wouldn't be missed. Finding somewhere to stick a mini display in a modern car is much easier to find than space for a display that is standard DIN width and height.

Re: Mini-displays - 23/03/2007 12:33

Is there a mini VFD pin compatible with the Empeg's? It might be possible to make a new PCB with a smaller profile using the Empeg's original display design and a receiver from the extender design incorporated into it. That is if the rights to produce it could be obtained...

Stu
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/03/2007 17:28

Quote:
Perhaps we need a new category - I definitely want one, but I don't care when I get it. I'm buying one on the assumption that my next car won't have a DIN slot. However, I plan to get at least another 80k miles out of my current car before I go shopping for any new car.

I'm in the same boat. I want one for the future, but I only have 45K miles on my '02 vehicle, and I figure I should be able to get at least another 200K miles out of it before I need something new. Of course, at 18MPG, that's gas prices depending, of course.

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/03/2007 21:45

Quote:
Fascinating. I always speculated Branson, but [MESSAGE REDACTED] definitely makes sense. I can also see why he would be a bit standoffish about letting people know what OS his car stereo runs

Yes, I'd be more open about these things, but it always starts a religious war.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/03/2007 23:42

Been out of the office for a while. This is very cool it's now available. However I have to say that $260 seems a bit exy for what it is (not what it does!). Where does the expense come in?

I only see the Maxim parts contributing any major expense if they are hard to get. Most of the other bits are fairly easy to get parts aren't they from a quick scan of the parts list.

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/03/2007 23:53

Quote:
Been out of the office for a while. This is very cool it's now available. However I have to say that $260 seems a bit exy for what it is (not what it does!). Where does the expense come in?

I only see the Maxim parts contributing any major expense if they are hard to get. Most of the other bits are fairly easy to get parts aren't they from a quick scan of the parts list.

I was thrilled to send Stuart my $260. It is just unbelievable to me that folks like Stuart and Mark have jumped into the gap to provide this uber-cool extension to our Empegs. If I had more scratch, I'd buy two. But I don't know much about electronics or component costs so I suspect you are asking out of academic interest. Certainly, if I *were* an electronics guru and the price seemed a tad high, I would wander off and build my own.

But I'm not some Patrick, just a normal Empeg guy. And I'm happy. I mean, really, it looks like the only other Empeg fan who has this is *God*.

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 00:01

Quote:
Quote:

I was thrilled to send Stuart my $260. It is just unbelievable to me that folks like Stuart and Mark have jumped into the gap to provide this uber-cool extension to our Empegs. If I had more scratch, I'd buy two. But I don't know much about electronics or component costs so I suspect you are asking out of academic interest. Certainly, if I *were* an electronics guru and the price seemed a tad high, I would wander off and build my own.

But I'm not some Patrick, just a normal Empeg guy. And I'm happy. I mean, really, it looks like the only other Empeg fan who has this is *God*.

I do intend to get one of my own done. As an EE it's a fairly simple design really. Like I said, it just seems expensive - I realise there is a manufacturing component in there of at least an hour I'd guess.

I started looking at doing my own for my M3 but ended up just replacing the factory stereo completely since I didn't have tons of time and I couldn't get all the info I needed like which pins where bidirectional etc.

That said I applaud the guys for getting units out for everyday Joe to have.

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 00:12

Quote:
Where does the expense come in?

Tiny quantities. High-tech is normally cheap, but only when mass-produced.

EDIT: Mmm.. actually, Shonky has a point. I'm betting that the PCBs are probably quite pricey in quantity 10 though. And we know the ribbon cable is likely about $1.50 a foot or so. And each kit has *two* PCBs.. Mmm...

-ml

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 00:29

Quote:
I do intend to get one of my own done. As an EE it's a fairly simple design really. Like I said, it just seems expensive - I realise there is a manufacturing component in there of at least an hour I'd guess.

Excellent (I think). If when you get your kit done you want to offer one for less than $260, I will be the first in line... assuming all the lights blink, of course

In the meantime, if Stuart is able to squeeze 1, 2, or 3 Prime Rib dinners out of my modest Paypal payment, all I can say is that I hope the Prime Rib wasn't overcooked. I mean, of what use is Prime Rib if not rare?

Quote:
I started looking at doing my own for my M3 but ended up just replacing the factory stereo completely since I didn't have tons of time and I couldn't get all the info I needed like which pins where bidirectional etc.

Well, I am pleased to report that I know what "bidirectional" means. In an abstract sense anyway.

Quote:
That said I applaud the guys for getting units out for everyday Joe to have.

"everyday Joe". Hmmm, if my name were Joe I might be inclined to go off and sulk. Like I say, though, I am no EE electronics guru. On the other hand, if things ever go really *really* bad...and the fucking intern can't get the arterial line in, give me a call.

A-lines? Just like riding a bicycle.

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 00:55

The first batch is all spoken for now. Here is the list for the second batch.

1-thirdeyevision (2)
2-julf (1)
3-mtempsch (1)
4-andy (1)
5-matthew_k (1)
5-caseyse (1)
6-LittleBlueThing (1)
7-EtN (1)
8-juenk (1)
9-thirdeyevision's friend (1)

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 01:16

Quote:
Where does the expense come in?

You know, I was thinking the same thing the other day. For what they are, they sure are expensive! But first let me say that easy to get does not necessarily mean cheap. The transceivers are not cheap parts even if they are easy to get. The connectors are also unbelievably expensive. And yes the PCBs are the most expensive component due to the low volume. Are there cheaper sources for the parts? Possibly, but rather than try to squeeze out every last dime from the list, I went for readily available and easy to find to get this project underway as quickly as possible.

I am admittedly charging some for my time to assemble these, but it like all the other elements that make up this are worth something. Do I let the clock run for every minute I spend on these? No. I've posted the parts list with supplier part numbers, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth what the asking price is. Since profit is not the object here, you are more than welcome to purchase the PCBs at cost and source everything yourself. If you can make them for less than $260, please do! I may join Jim and buy one from you.

The Empeg stuff is becoming a smaller and smaller portion of what we do here, so really that I found the time at all is fairly remarkable.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 01:27

Quote:
I am admittedly charging some for my time to assemble these

What? Gasp!

Oh, wait a minute.. I do that, too. Mmm..

Cheers!

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 02:23

Quote:
Quote:
I am admittedly charging some for my time to assemble these

What? Gasp!

Oh, wait a minute.. I do that, too. Mmm..

Cheers!

And so you should. I wasn't intending to mass manufacture. I knew my first post might start something like this. As much as anything it was an enquiry as to what bits made it expensive since nothing on the board looked super expensive. I'll go back in my hole now.

I'm just fighting to get something useful out of this silly Ranger PCB/schematic program that I can use i.e. probably gerbers since Ranger seems unknown to every CAD/PCB package I have.

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 10:04

Quote:
I'm just fighting to get something useful out of this silly Ranger PCB/schematic program that I can use i.e. probably gerbers since Ranger seems unknown to every CAD/PCB package I have.

I didn't mean to sound defensive .

I spent several hours wrestling the gerbers from the Ranger files. I ended up having to talk to tech support at Seetrax before getting it to give me something I could use. It helped a lot to use Ranger XL by the way. Patrick sent us the RS-274D files, but since what we really needed were extended gerbers, I ended up extracted them myself. If you'd like the files that Alvin used to have these made, just PM me and I'll send them your way. That Ranger app was just no fun and if I can help someone avoid using it I will .

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 10:54

Quote:
The first batch is all spoken for now. Here is the list for the second batch.

2-julf (1)

Are you sending payment instructions, or have I possibly missed the info? No chance of getting 2 more of the first batch people to change their mind?

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 11:57

No, you haven't missed anything. I'll send payment instructions for the second batch when I finish assembling the first batch. All 10 of the first batch have been paid for, so I don't think anyone will change their mind.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 13:29

Quote:
Patrick sent us the RS-274D files, but since what we really needed were extended gerbers, I ended up extracted them myself.

Are you sure? I could have sworn I sent the RS-274X version. You should have mentioned it, it's easy to get the X variant out of ranger XL.

Quote:
That Ranger app was just no fun and if I can help someone avoid using it I will

Funny, I've always thought the same about Orcad and Pads, which are much more common And MUCH MUCH more expensive. Mind you, I have been using one variant or other of Ranger since about 1988, and I've got a really huge library of tested part definitions I've produced over the years. Bear in mind all the versions of the empeg were made with ranger 2!

It would be much easier if there was some common definition langauage for exporting/importing PCB layouts and schematics between packages, but 90% of the PCB cad companies out there would cut off their own legs to avoid this happening. Might allow people to change suppliers, you see

I can use Orcad, etc, just don't like them too much. And certainly can't afford them.

Pca

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 13:47

Quote:
Quote:
Patrick sent us the RS-274D files, but since what we really needed were extended gerbers, I ended up extracted them myself.

Are you sure? I could have sworn I sent the RS-274X version. You should have mentioned it, it's easy to get the X variant out of ranger XL.

Yep, I'm sure although you offered to reformat in X. By the time the files came in I had already sorted it out most of the way anyway, so it was just easier not to bother you .

Orcad is very expensive indeed. I believe the new version starts at about $7500? Oh well. I just think Ranger is way different from Orcad. I totally understand about your part libraries. They can be a pain to get just right.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 20:13

Quote:
Orcad is very expensive indeed. I believe the new version starts at about $7500? Oh well.

That is indeed expensive.

However, if you want to see ultra-crazy CAD software pricing, check out the price for single-seat licenses of IC Design software sometime.

Tools from Synopsys, Cadence, Magma, etc. tend to run over $50,000 per tool.
Even HSPICE isn't too cheap.

I have a friend who has a laptop with well over $200,000 worth of IC CAD software on it!

He tends to keep an eye on that laptop....

I don't know anything about even more limited-demand CAD markets.

But I have to conjecture that somewhere there must be one person that designs the software used to make chemical plants or oil refineries, and that she sells two licenses per year at a gatrillion dollars apiece.

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 20:38

Quote:

But I have to conjecture that somewhere there must be one person that designs the software used to make ... oil refineries, and that she sells two licenses per year at a gatrillion dollars apiece.

Mmm.. sounds a little like what Mach does.

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 22:26

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't mean to sound defensive .

I spent several hours wrestling the gerbers from the Ranger files. I ended up having to talk to tech support at Seetrax before getting it to give me something I could use. It helped a lot to use Ranger XL by the way. Patrick sent us the RS-274D files, but since what we really needed were extended gerbers, I ended up extracted them myself. If you'd like the files that Alvin used to have these made, just PM me and I'll send them your way. That Ranger app was just no fun and if I can help someone avoid using it I will .

Stu

Didn't think you were being defensive. Sent you a PM.

For the record we use Altium (nee Protel) which we just spent $22k upgrading to the latest version - full retail was $35k. About $9k for a single PCB/schematic license. It does do some nice stuff though.

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/03/2007 23:36

I like the ability to make curved traces. Don't think Ranger offers that .

It's funny you mentioned you were planning to engineer your own extender board. As you may have seen, I was going to do the same thing, and when I saw these schematics I noticed how overbuilt mine would have been. It would have been much more than $260 for sure.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 25/03/2007 18:25

Here's an odd thought about 5 years too late:

Maybe the number of PCBs required could drop to one if it could do both ends of the job. Combine the features of both empeg-side and display-side boards into one, give each person two of the same board, but only populate the necessary transistors for each. Not only would it remove an entire PCB, but it would double the order quantity of the remaining PCB.

5 years too late, not worth mentioning, but interesting. Still trying to convince myself to take 2nd run spot number 10 for when I have a car without DIN... in 2014.

Re: We Have Lights! - 25/03/2007 18:28

You know what, I'll take one. The amount of money some people I know spend on things like fashion, $300 for a useful device which will last for years is pocket change. I'll take one, fully built, payment upon order.

Re: We Have Lights! - 25/03/2007 18:43

I'll add you to the list Chris.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 25/03/2007 18:47

1-thirdeyevision (2)
2-julf (1)
3-mtempsch (1)
4-andy (1)
5-matthew_k (1)
5-caseyse (1)
6-LittleBlueThing (1)
7-EtN (1)
8-juenk (1)
9-thirdeyevision's friend (1)
10-FireFox31 (1)
11-robricc (1)

We are at 13 board sets now, but that really isn't a problem since I haven't placed the order. I can place the order in any multiple of 5 sets. Also, some on the list were notified about a week ago, but have not read their PMs, so they may never come forward.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 13:25

One observation: A lot of the components on the receiver board seem to be related to the onboard 12V sourced PSU -- which is not actually needed or used. I wonder if there's any worthwhile cost savings to be had there?

-ml

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 13:27

Mine arrived first thing this morning, thanks. Looks rather fetching -- nice clean layout and all.

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 13:49

Quote:
A lot of the components on the receiver board seem to be related to the onboard 12V sourced PSU -- which is not actually needed or used.

I thought about that, but decided it was best to let the flexibility of a dual power supplies remain. One never knows if the need for a 100 meter run will arise at some point. The cost added is probably around $15 - $20.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 14:23

Quote:

One never knows if the need for a 100 meter run will arise at some point.

We just need to find someone with their own 737 that needs an empeg install in the cockpit with the main unit in the tail...

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 14:27

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of the components on the receiver board seem to be related to the onboard 12V sourced PSU -- which is not actually needed or used.

I thought about that, but decided it was best to let the flexibility of a dual power supplies remain. One never knows if the need for a 100 meter run will arise at some point. The cost added is probably around $15 - $20.

Plus labour.

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 14:30

Quote:
Plus labour.

Included .

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 14:46

Quote:
We just need to find someone with their own 737 that needs an empeg install in the cockpit with the main unit in the tail...

What, you think MarkM designed them to be capable of 100 meter runs for no reason at all?

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/03/2007 22:25

Quote:
Quote:

One never knows if the need for a 100 meter run will arise at some point.

The Auxiliary Player Unit, of course.

Re: We Have Lights! - 27/03/2007 01:23

I thought that I tested it for 100 feet, not meters. Patrick Arnold did the design - I was just a paper pusher on this project.

I will share a little story Patrick shared with me prior to the design. He created a similar design to extend EIDE drives for long distances. He mentioned that his testing consisted of using a very old drill with a metal housing. You know, the kind where you can see sparks coming off of the brushes. He wrapped the EIDE cable around the drill and ran the drill during the test trying to introduce a great deal of interference - the design worked perfectly. At that point, I knew I was working with the right engineer for the project.

Be sure to spec zero halogen cable for those 737 installations.

Re: We Have Lights! - 27/03/2007 05:42

So MarkM, reading the posts suggests you may do some 'interesting' installs on some nice cars...

If that's the case, have you come across the 2005 model Jaguar XK? I have an install problem with it....

Re: We Have Lights! - 27/03/2007 18:53

I have very little experience in hands-on installation - I leave that work to the pro install shops. It's often frustrating for people who do this every day.

That said - lets hear it. Online forums or a dealer service manual are your friend. Post your problem here, chances are someone has the answer.

Re: We Have Lights! - 27/03/2007 20:24

Well I would really like to take out the standard DIN Jag head unit and replace it with the empeg - it'll look better than having to make something up for the extender.

The problem is that when you remove the head unit the satnav doesn't work. Rumour suggests that the satnav notices the head unit security state (ie missing or 'code' not entered).

So I need to bypass the satnav security - quite specific to Jaguar (and Google suggests maybe Volvo) I guess.

Re: We Have Lights! - 27/03/2007 22:45

You might check here. http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_xk/ The site seems to have some good information, but also seems to be served up by an empeg via the serial port - S L O W.

Interesting article, note that the 2004 XK in on the list of cars to avoid because the navigation audio plays through the stereo system. http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0408cae_oem/

You might want to contact this seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Ja...bayphotohosting

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 00:04

Quote:
I thought that I tested it for 100 feet, not meters.

Ooh, so this is telling me that while the extender is probably going to work fine in my 959, setting it up in the 757 is probably a no-go.

Stuart, let me give that second one some thought.

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 00:30

Quote:
Ooh, so this is telling me that while the extender is probably going to work fine in my 959, setting it up in the 757 is probably a no-go.

Haha . MarkM may not have tested beyond 100 feet, but Patrick has. Patrick says he's tested it to 100 meters, and I think he said somewhere it might work up to 200 meters! Now who is going to put it to the test and see what the limit really is?

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 01:06

Quote:
Patrick says he's tested it to 100 meters, and I think he said somewhere it might work up to 200 meters! Now who is going to put it to the test and see what the limit really is?

Stu

Well, that's pretty obvious: the only guy here who we all *know* has (or will have soon) over 100m of ribbon cable is..

..lemmesee.. say, another 15 of these yet to be assembled/sold/shipped = 15 * 7m each = 105m of ribbon cable, Stu!

Cheer

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 01:25

Quote:
Well, that's pretty obvious: the only guy here who we all *know* has (or will have soon) over 100m of ribbon cable is..

..lemmesee.. say, another 15 of these yet to be assembled/sold/shipped = 15 * 7m each = 105m of ribbon cable, Stu!

I can do a 100 feet right now, but beyond that it's just pieces that have already been cut to 20 foot lengths. I'm trying to find 200 meter+ spool, so far I can't seem to find one longer than 100 feet and we already know that works .

Edit: I did locate a reasonably priced 100 meter spool. I might use that for the next batch and just for fun attach a connector to either end and fire up the extenders before cutting it up. Still, it would be more fun to try it on a 200 meter or more cable.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 03:23

This is too funny. Now I'm thinking of a neat picture at Qwest field with a ribbon cable running from one endzone to the other. That would be one for the empeg archives.

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 03:41

Quote:
This is too funny. Now I'm thinking of a neat picture at Qwest field with a ribbon cable running from one endzone to the other. That would be one for the empeg archives.

Now if you get the manager of Qwest field to sit with some headphones in one end zone with the remote display (while controlling the Empeg in the other end zone) that would be cool.

But no outputs on the display. 100 meter headphone cord.

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 04:01

Would adding the Seahawks cheerleaders distract you enough that you'd forget that there's no sound?

I was thinking about audio as this thread turned to 100m-200m of cable. Sure, you could run cable from your computer room to the next door neighbor's garage, but that does nothing without a speaker run of the same distance. I think the goal is to test the limits of Patrick's design.

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 04:30

Quote:
Now if you get the manager of Qwest field to sit with some headphones in one end zone with the remote display (while controlling the Empeg in the other end zone) that would be cool. But no outputs on the display. 100 meter headphone cord.

No no no no, you hook up the empeg to the PA!

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 10:23

And have the tag information for the track rigged - Artist=Disaster Area...

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 12:11

Quote:
Sure, you could run cable from your computer room to the next door neighbor's garage, but that does nothing without a speaker run of the same distance.

Piece-o-cake: Stu also makes/installs SPDIF/Optical outputs for the empeg, so we just need to do one of:
  • string an optical cable along with the ribbon cable, or
  • run the SPDIF signal in the existing ribbon cable, making use of the spare transceivers in the MAX* chips (mm.. gotta double check those), and using a (former) GND wire in the cable for the transmission.

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 12:34

Quote:
Piece-o-cake: Stu also makes/installs SPDIF/Optical outputs for the empeg, so we just need to do one of:

string an optical cable along with the ribbon cable

You will probably need one of these to make a cable run greater than 10 meters.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 18:05

ugh!

Thanks for the links though - interesting; I'll contact woody for sure.

We're planning on keeping the car for a fair while so I guess I'll have to take a close look at the wiring and see what I can do...

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 20:09

Well that was a bust... I asked the eBay guy about replacing the stock head unit with a decent hi-fi one and he said:

Quote:
Sorry, I am big into leaving stock systems alone. I cannot help you with your infomation request. I have seen lots of aftermarket attempts at head replacement and I do not approve of any of the setups. They look terrible and sound the same or marginally better.
Regrets,
Charles

Very surprising response from someone who appears to run some kind of customisation business - clearly not a man with ears though

Re: We Have Lights! - 28/03/2007 20:32

Quote:
Quote:
Now if you get the manager of Qwest field to sit with some headphones in one end zone with the remote display (while controlling the Empeg in the other end zone) that would be cool. But no outputs on the display. 100 meter headphone cord.

No no no no, you hook up the empeg to the PA!

And in this case the display extender is moot. I just finished an Empeg Jumbotron interface and will be offering it for sale.

$259.99

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 01:24

We did that too about 5 years ago - assuming there's a composite video input to the Jumbotron.
http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/293555/an/0/page/0#Post293555

Seriously though, share what you got. I want to see a new empeg widget.

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 14:10

Quote:

We are at 13 board sets now, but that really isn't a problem since I haven't placed the order. I can place the order in any multiple of 5 sets. Also, some on the list were notified about a week ago, but have not read their PMs, so they may never come forward.

Stu

Well, today I'm pretty sure that we'll be empeg-less until this arrives
(that may change but it's unlikely)

I've (just) asked Patrick about his spare board but I'll assume that's been snapped up.

Next question Stu, what exactly gets shipped and what does one need to do after the box arrives

Do I simply(!) dismantle my Empeg, unscrew/remove the display board, plug in the transmitter, attach the display to the receiver, route the ribbon cable, crimp the ribbon cable with a pair of pliers (!) and then plug it together for instant remote goodness?

Or do I need someone (Rob S, Patrick) to work some hot melty magic on my P&J to complete the assembly?

Also: how big is the facia? Or more correctly, how small a box can I get away with to mount it neatly?

And dare I ask about timescales? Next week? Next month? Next season? Next skiing season Just to get an idea you understand.

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 14:14

Quote:

Do I simply(!) dismantle my Empeg, unscrew/remove the display board, plug in the transmitter, attach the display to the receiver, route the ribbon cable, crimp the ribbon cable with a pair of pliers (!) and then plug it together for instant remote goodness?

More or less, except that the ribbon cable arrives with connectors already crimped in place.

And you'll need to work out a mounting system / enclosure for the remote display -- it needs a slim box of some sort, or perhaps could be inset into the dashboard.

The stock empeg bezel & lenses would be used on the display, same as now. Except there's no carry handle on the remote display, so the factory bezel might look a bit odd.

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 14:17

Mmm.. maybe I'll putter in the workshop here later on.. and see what would be involved in fabbing a very simple enclosure for the remote display.

There's a choice in how to mount it -- the intended way is to bolt the receiver board to the back of the display board, with (supplied) spacers between. This makes it bulky front-to-back.

Another approach would be to mount the receiver board beside/below the display board, reducing the depth but doubling the face profile.

Mmm..

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 14:31

ta

I was thinking that it may be easier to route the cable if one of the connectors wasn't crimped - I'm sure I could find someone in Cambridge with a suitable crimping tool

Sadly the dash doesn't have anywhere to inset it - I'm thinking of bending some aluminium sheet into a box and then wrapping it in leather matching the interior.

I don't suppose you know where I could get a facia in grey birdseye maple do you

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 14:35

Quote:
Next question Stu, what exactly gets shipped and what does one need to do after the box arrives

You get the transmitter and receiver board, 20 feet of 25 conductor ribbon cable with connectors precrimped and all hardware to attach the transmitter to the Empeg and the receiver to the display board. After you receive it, I guess about all there is to do aside from actual installation into your application is to secure the transmitter in place of the display board in your Empeg, stack the display on top of the receiver board, plug the ribbon cable on the display into the 20 pin header on the back of the receiver board as shown in some of the pictures I've posted here and plug in the 20 foot ribbon cable into the receiver and transmitter board. The boards all come configured for power to come from the Empeg so no need to fool with the jumpers unless you need external power.

Stu

Quote:
Also: how big is the facia? Or more correctly, how small a box can I get away with to mount it neatly?

I believe about the smallest enclosure you could get away with with the display stacked on top of the receiver is 6.3" x 2" x 2".

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 14:37

Quote:
I was thinking that it may be easier to route the cable if one of the connectors wasn't crimped - I'm sure I could find someone in Cambridge with a suitable crimping tool

I've not crimped all the cables yet, so if you request it I can send your connectors loose.

Stu
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 14:48

Quote:
I don't suppose you know where I could get a facia in grey birdseye maple do you

I may have an idea for you there. K2 Concepts started in southern California customizing quad parts with the "carbon" look. Basically he paints a base coat, applies a pattern, then puts clear over top. I know he has done cammo as well, and bet he could simulate just about any wood grain. He can apply the process to just about anything. You would have to take into account the space the paint would take up for your buttons so they will still function. Get in touch with him. I bet he can do it. I've actually been thinking about doing something with mine.

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 15:24

Quote:

I believe about the smallest enclosure you could get away with with the display stacked on top of the receiver is 6.3" x 2" x 2".

Actually, 1 3/8" deep is possible, by having the receiver board mounted with component side facing the display board.

This puts the cable feed onto the top of the display though. To have it feed from the bottom (preferred), the middle ("spare") DB9 connector needs to be removed from the receiver board (or just not soldered in place to begin with).

Cheers

Mark

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 16:21

Quote:
Quote:

Actually, 1 3/8" deep is possible, by having the receiver board mounted with component side facing the display board.

This puts the cable feed onto the top of the display though. To have it feed from the bottom (preferred), the middle ("spare") DB9 connector needs to be removed from the receiver board (or just not soldered in place to begin with).

Cheers

Mark

Well, a bit of 2"x2" a spare lens and a spare bezel made a good prototype showing where it has to go:
http://www.dgreaves.com/bins/Cars/xkr/empeg_install/imagelist.html

So saving a little space would be good unless we install into the vents.

Re: We Have Lights! - 29/03/2007 21:50

Here's a picture of a finished pod plugged into a top vent if you want an example.

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 01:33

Not sure how it would look, but after looking at your pictures it looks like you could mount a pod on the dash above your vents that curves around the front of the dash.

By creating a pod that also curves under your dash, you could hide the ribbon cable and run it behind the plastic facia where the vents are. You could use some small screws to hold it in place or velcro strips.

I'll upload a couple of sketches to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. You might be able to make some of it from wood, but you might take the foam, bondo, wrap with vinyl route.

Maybe this will at least start some ideas for you.

BTW - a profile gauge helps gets the curves correct. http://www.fine-tools.com/G309631.htm

Mark

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 01:34

Pic 2

As you can see, I'm not an artist.

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 03:46

Quote:
As you can see, I'm not an artist.

I said consummate V's!

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 04:05

Thanks for that. I needed to see that first for inspiration! That had me laughing!

I'm better with tools and fabrication than I am with a mechanical pencil.

Now I'm off to watch that video again...

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 07:08

Quote:
I've not crimped all the cables yet, so if you request it I can send your connectors loose.

When the time comes to do mine, I think I would prefer uncrimped, if that's not too much hassle.

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 11:16

Quote:
When the time comes to do mine, I think I would prefer uncrimped, if that's not too much hassle.

I'll try to keep all these special requests in mind. Just make sure you include a reminder when you send payment (when the time comes).

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 11:58

And I really do recommend leaving the middle DB25 connector unsoldered -- this can really help reduce the mounting profile of the extended display. Maybe include the loose connector with the shipment, but no soldering of it unless requested. But that's the customers' call, I suppose.

I think most/all installations are easily managed with only the other DB25 position.

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 12:17

Quote:
And I really do recommend leaving the middle DB25 connector unsoldered -- this can really help reduce the mounting profile of the extended display.

Good idea. I'll offer it.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 17:50

Quote:
Quote:
And I really do recommend leaving the middle DB25 connector unsoldered -- this can really help reduce the mounting profile of the extended display.

Good idea. I'll offer it.

Stu

This is to make the total depth less? And here I as wondering about just the opposite case where the enclosure would need to set on it's bottom with the cable exiting the rear.

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 18:30

Quote:
This is to make the total depth less?

Yes. According to Mark Lord, it can be made as shallow as 1 3/8" by not populating the vertical socket and flipping the receiver over (see his post above). Let me know if you want it done this way. You should also have received an e-mail regarding same.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 19:12

Quote:
Quote:
This is to make the total depth less?

Yes. According to Mark Lord, it can be made as shallow as 1 3/8" by not populating the vertical socket and flipping the receiver over (see his post above). Let me know if you want it done this way. You should also have received an e-mail regarding same.

Stu

Just to clarify, we're talking about this connector:

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/03/2007 19:14

Quote:

This is to make the total depth less? And here I as wondering about just the opposite case where the enclosure would need to set on it's bottom with the cable exiting the rear.

For that situation, you'll be wanting that middle connector, but maybe not the other one.

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 31/03/2007 08:58

And, by the way, is there any way to re-route the connector on the empeg end, so that I could replace the "original" front panel with a blank (with no cable sticking out)?

My problem is that I want to leave the empeg in the original DIN-size slot in the Morgan - but it is really far in and low down under the dash, so it's impossible to see properly when driving. But I also don't want any geeky-looking flat cables protruding from the panel...

Re: We Have Lights! - 31/03/2007 11:40

Quote:
And, by the way, is there any way to re-route the connector on the empeg end, so that I could replace the "original" front panel with a blank (with no cable sticking out)?

My problem is that I want to leave the empeg in the original DIN-size slot in the Morgan - but it is really far in and low down under the dash, so it's impossible to see properly when driving. But I also don't want any geeky-looking flat cables protruding from the panel...

The empeg end board (transmitter) is very simple, and normally mounts in place of the display board. It is more recessed, but the connector will still protrude to about flush with where the front of the original display was. The ribbon cable connector then plugs into this, and protrudes significantly from there.

Reversing this board is not really feasible, because (1) it's internal ribbon cable is too short (and is soldered onto the transmitter board), and (2) the connector would then hit the drive tray and drives -- it's centered in the opening, so it will hit *both* drives. Had it been offset, then it could fit internally more easily with a single drive setup.

The solution I see to this, is to hack it up. There is no circuitry outside of the middle 8cm or so of the transmitter board. So the board could be cut up and made *much* smaller, and then adapted to mount in the drive tray of a single drive system.

Again, the short internal ribbon cable on it is an issue, and will need to be replaced with a proper pin header and a new longer cable with connectors on each end. Alternatively, a small slot could be cut into the middle of the drive tray (harmless) to allow the stock short cable to feed through to the mainboard underneath. I like the latter.

Cheers

Mark ("a solution for anything, almost").

Re: We Have Lights! - 31/03/2007 11:47

Of course, a problem with all of this, is that the empeg would then be more difficult to "unplug" and remove from the vehicle for uploading new tunes onto.

To counter this, a second pair of DB25 connectors could be installed in the large ribbon cable, somewhere close to the player. These would need to be unplugged from each other when removing the player.

How you feed them through the top of the sled is your own problem

Re: We Have Lights! - 31/03/2007 20:56

The replacement cover doesn't have to be flat. It can have a pocket milled in the back. Or any other suitable adaptation.

Re: We Have Lights! - 31/03/2007 21:09

Quote:
The replacement cover doesn't have to be flat. It can have a pocket milled in the back. Or any other suitable adaptation.

If it did need to be flat you could solder each of the 25 conductors to their corresponding holes.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 01/04/2007 05:51

Quote:
If it did need to be flat you could solder each of the 25 conductors to their corresponding holes.

That might be the easiest solution.

Re: We Have Lights! - 01/04/2007 12:43

Right, seems there's a need for a cover on the empeg which has the remote display board mounted. Don't want dust and dirt getting in there, and in Julf's case, you'd want it to look decent. Maybe a simple blanking panel with the appropriate screw holes and a spot for the cable to be routed up, down, and otherwise. Maybe if some heavy black plastic stock could be bought, a panel could be routed and drilled to fit.

Re: We Have Lights! - 01/04/2007 13:44

A nice black plastic (or wood) panel, and self-adhesive velcro, I think.

Re: We Have Lights! - 05/04/2007 03:57

Anybody get their display extenders? Any pictures?

Re: We Have Lights! - 05/04/2007 09:16

Actually, the first 5 from us should be shipped as of today. There was a bit of a problem sourcing one of the parts, but I'm confident that the last 5 will ship by next week and the following week.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 08/04/2007 20:16

I don't want to miss the second order prepayment notice. I'll be watching this thread for the update.

Re: We Have Lights! - 20/04/2007 01:09

The remaining units from the first batch should be shipping tomorrow or Saturday, so I will begin contacting the rest on the list shortly.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/04/2007 18:01

I've sent notices to everyone on the latest list in this thread so check your e-mail and PMs! If you are not on the list and would like one, it's not yet too late to be included. Just PM me ASAP.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 23/04/2007 18:39

You know Mark, I'm embarrassed to see that I never thanked you for your help here - I was so busy figuring things out after seeing your drawings that I just forgot.

So "Thanks"

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/04/2007 14:13

So I've replied ... 1 of 10
Anyone else...

Re: We Have Lights! - 24/04/2007 15:40

So far 9 positive responses for 9 sets.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/04/2007 01:30

Stu, My extender arrived today, all in good shape. Thanks, Glenn

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/04/2007 01:55

Cool! Enjoy.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 26/04/2007 23:51

Quote:
Stu, My extender arrived today, all in good shape. Thanks, Glenn

Mee 2! Woop! Woop! Woop!

Re: We Have Lights! - 27/04/2007 04:28

Hi LittleBlueThing,

Not a problem. Hope the rough drawings at least explained the concept.

Since then, I've been thinking about how I'd make a router template for the front of a pod. We hired this out to a company that did high end auto installations. It could be a little tricky to route out the shape while leaving just enough space for a vinyl wrap. I looked around for the old pod. I figured it would be in a box somewhere, but maybe it ended up in the trash.

If I find time, I might grab an old plastic front and see if I can make a teplate and post pictures. I like wood working and wouldn't mind wasting a few pieces of MDF to get it right.

Hope to see install pics soon from folks...

Mark

Re: We Have Lights! - 27/04/2007 11:07

Yes they did.

I'm waiting until I get the real thing now so I can see how it looks "in the plastic".

I have a spare empeg plastic surround too - been wondering how to make it look 'right' without the handle.

I considered making a replica from wood but I think it would be very tricky without the right tools - probably some kind of *tiny* bandsaw. Would love access to a workshop to try though <sigh>.

Since I've a spare, I may just trim off those lumps at the side and recess it into any pod.

Something just occurred to me - I could just mount the whole empeg in the boot and make some buttons and connect them via the steering wheel connector. Might be worth trying just to get some sound and then do the facia fit later...

Hmm....

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/04/2007 19:47

Pictures of fabricated pod.

Maybe this will help others seeing what can be done with a fair amount of fabrication effort.

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/04/2007 21:00

Quote:
Pictures of fabricated pod.

Maybe this will help others seeing what can be done with a fair amount of fabrication effort.

Ahh.. looks like you took the easy way out, and decided not to try and house the comms board.
Lots of good possibilities for just the display -- quite a bit thinner that way.

But what about that other half?

Cheers

Re: We Have Lights! - 30/04/2007 23:58

"other half" meaning the empeg-side of the extender? Or, meaning the faceless empeg itself? Either way, good question: how to keep the empeg's electronics-laiden bare face safe in an auto environment.

By the way, that custom pod is beautiful! How did you ever get the button hole sizes just right. They have to be perfect size AND bevel to hold the buttons in place.

Some day, some day, we'll see the install pr0n of that top secret big money install.

Re: We Have Lights! - 01/05/2007 01:44

Quote:
"other half" meaning the empeg-side of the extender?

Meaning the board in the left side of the above photo that's not inside the nicely moulded enclosure.

Re: We Have Lights! - 01/05/2007 01:55

Hmmm, doubt you'll see any more pictures. I've already posted two pod examples. I like this one best because it makes the front of the player look nice. I don't know anything more about how this was installed. It wasn't in the trash, but something like that. There are a couple of holes in the base - maybe it was screwed down.

I was told that the cutouts for the buttons were done with a pin router. Google it. I gotta get me one of those - and a decent router table - and a bigger garage. The buttons functioned very well, but the selector knob was recessed quite a bit. The curves and finish detail on the front was outstanding. Very thin vinyl was used for the skin.

We typically didn't do a thing to dress up the player side, since it was in the trunk. I did build a custom box one time with a smoked plexiglass top and curved plexiglass hinged front. I made it so a piece of luggage could bash into it, yet it could swing up for easy access to remove the player. Be careful removing the cable on the player. I modded the cable connector so it wasn't so tight.

Mark

Re: We Have Lights! - 02/05/2007 01:13

Quote:
...I was told that the cutouts for the buttons were done with a pin router. Google it. I gotta get me one of those ....

A while back, saw a bunch of equipment being auctioned for some bankrupt car stereo place -- Innovative Somethingorother -- and I think it included one of those. I should have tried to get it.

(Edit: Oh, 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0)

Re: We Have Lights! - 02/05/2007 02:46

Innovative Audio - good builder, been there many times. If you think about it, there's probably 2 days in building that pod. At shop rate, that's an expensive little piece. At auction, most people wouldn't put much value on it.

Re: We Have Lights! - 02/05/2007 04:48

pic of design in progress

Re: We Have Lights! - 02/05/2007 13:56

Quote:
It wasn't in the trash, but something like that.

So do you still actually have this - or just the pics?

I may have a nice home for it if the trash is beckoning...

Re: We Have Lights! - 02/05/2007 14:14

That wouldn't be a hd-dvd decryption key, would it Jim?

Re: Display Extender (don't do this!) - 02/05/2007 20:42

Ok I'm a victim of my own making.

Fair warning.

In trying to swap the display for the tx board. I failed to note that the ribbon was permanently attached to the display board. Not believing I needed to remove the drive try I attempted to pull the connector from the pin header...

Of course it didn't come apart until it fractured. The ribbon is still embedded in the conductors, I expect it would work if powered, but I'm allergic to the smell of Magic Smoke, so why tempt fate.

I don't want to drive to Fry's tonight but...

(I can't think of another piece of gear, i've seen, where a ribbon was attached this way.)

Re: Display Extender (don't do this!) - 02/05/2007 20:43

Quote:

(I can't think of another piece of gear, i've seen, where a ribbon was attached this way.)

Apart from the empeg itself, you mean. Stu has spares of those.

Re: Display Extender (don't do this!) - 02/05/2007 20:58

Thank's, I'll hit fry's tonight. If I can't source it there, I'll cry on Stu's shoulder some.

Re: We Have Lights! - 02/05/2007 22:43

I had it in my hands Monday so I could take pictures specifically for this forum. I put the pod back in it's velvet box for safe keeping.

Re: We Have Lights! - 02/05/2007 22:43

Nice. If you (or anyone) needs additional top buttons to use as bottom buttons, just let me know.

Re: We Have Lights! - 03/05/2007 01:06

Quote:
That wouldn't be a hd-dvd decryption key, would it Jim?

Having never decrypted any sort of DVD, I can not be sure. It looked more like a string of numbers to me. Or perhaps a philosophical puzzle or test of some sort.

Re: We Have Lights! - 03/05/2007 01:48

Nice to know, but it's only round until I figure out how to measure the the bottom opening. I was able to figure out that the rt/lft holes are based on a simple ellipse. I also intend to change the view window.
Posted by: Micman2b

Re: We Have Lights! - 03/05/2007 08:33

Dang, go away for a little while and miss a huge announcement. Are these going to be available for a while?

Sean

Re: We Have Lights! - 03/05/2007 09:03

Quote:
Dang, go away for a little while and miss a huge announcement. Are these going to be available for a while?

I think so. I'm buying 15 sets of boards this time. I've now been paid for 8 of those and 12 of them were supposedly claimed. So that leaves at least 3 sets remaining. I will be ordering the PCB components in a few weeks so if you want one it would be good to order it soon.

PM me if interested.
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 12/05/2007 01:24

Got my boards a few weeks ago. Hooked em up and got only a blinking LED. :-( Reassembled emgeg, verified it still boots and works. double checked all connections. Looks right going by the pics on this thread.

I admit I probalby dorked something. Who knows?

Email off to Stuart for some tech support.

Re: We Have Lights! - 12/05/2007 10:56

Quote:
Got my boards a few weeks ago. Hooked em up and got only a blinking LED. :-( Reassembled emgeg, verified it still boots and works. double checked all connections. Looks right going by the pics on this thread.

The only place you can mess up, is connecting the TX board to the Empeg and the display board to the RX board. The DB-25 cable will only plug in one way. Make sure you have everything securely and completely engaged. The TX 20 pin ribbon cable connects to the Empeg the same way as the display board. Be certain that the TX board is securely attached to the display board mounts on the Empeg so that nothing can short between the TX board and the Empeg. On the RX board, pin 1 of the display board cable must be connected to the pin 1 position of the RX board. Pin 1 on the display board corresponds to the blue or black stripe on the 20 pin ribbon cable of the display board. Pin 1 on the RX board is on the end of the 20 pin header closest to the large regulator with the plastic rivet in place. If you make sure the stripe on the display ribbon is on that end of the connector and all 20 pins are mated to the RX 20 pin connector, then everything should work. All of the boards and cables were thoroughly tested before shipping. If something was improperly connected, there may be damage however. If you've doubled checked all of this and it still won't work, try measuring DC voltage between the metal part of the jumpers and a mounting hole. It's also possible you have a damaged cable somewhere.

Good luck,
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 12/05/2007 18:40

I have re-double checked all connections. No luck so far.

OK, I spelunked the garage to find my multi-meter.

The 5V jumper is showing 4.84 - 5.05 volts
The 3V jumper is showing .02 - 0.04 (which I assume is bad :-)

-Ian

Re: We Have Lights! - 12/05/2007 20:40

Quote:

Definitely bad, but not necessarily serious. Is the 3 volt jumper in the same relative position as the 5 volt one? If not, move it to the other postion and retry. If it is, you will need to try to find the point where the 3 volts goes missing, starting with the TX board. It'd probably be something with the DB-25 cable. Report back and I can point you to where the 3 volts can be found if needed.

Hope this helps,
Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/05/2007 00:51

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely bad, but not necessarily serious. Is the 3 volt jumper in the same relative position as the 5 volt one? If not, move it to the other postion and retry. If it is, you will need to try to find the point where the 3 volts goes missing, starting with the TX board. It'd probably be something with the DB-25 cable. Report back and I can point you to where the 3 volts can be found if needed.

Hope this helps,
Stu

The jumper is in the correct position.

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/05/2007 11:23

Install the TX board in the Empeg without the DB-25 cable installed. Insert a small wire into holes 25 and 19 of the TX DB-25 connector on the TX board and measure the volt. These should have 3.3 volts on them.

Let us know what you find,
Stuart

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/05/2007 20:46

I think it might be appropriate to check the three fuses near the mainboard display header. Probably one or more of them got fried by a misalignment of the connector. It happens. Commonly.

Re: We Have Lights! - 13/05/2007 20:54

Quote:
I think it might be appropriate to check the three fuses near the mainboard display header. Probably one or more of them got fried by a misalignment of the connector. It happens. Commonly.

Good suggestion. I did not propose this because he privately told me his display works normally without his extender boards in between.

Stu

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/05/2007 02:17

Quote:
Quote:

Good suggestion. I did not propose this because he privately told me his display works normally without his extender boards in between.

Stu

The dispaly does work when connected directly to the device.

There is no voltage between the 25 and 19 pins on the Tx board.

I was going to get a light set for this critter anyway. I'd be happy to send the whole rig in for that and pay for the repair or the undoing of my hamfisted install job.

Re: We Have Lights! - 14/05/2007 02:59

Quote:

I should have been more specific, what I meant was each of these alone should have 3.3 volts relative to ground. Check between the DB-25 connector holes 19 and 25 individually and a grounded mounting hole and look for 3.3 volts. If you measure between 19 and 25 you would normally get a 0 volt reading. (3.3 -3.3=0). So just to clarify, is this how you measured, or did you measure these pins relative to ground?

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender (don't do this!) - 15/05/2007 00:26

In spite of my ham handedness - IT WORKS FINE.

No problems Stu, Thanks for the neat work.

Re: Display Extender (don't do this!) - 15/05/2007 00:44

You're welcome. Glad you got it working and thanks for the nice picture.

Enjoy,
Stu
Posted by: thirdeyevision

Re: Display Extender (don't do this!) - 08/06/2007 17:43

any updates on the second batch?

all these pics of the extender makes me anxious.

Re: Display Extender (don't do this!) - 09/06/2007 02:00

I've been on vacation while the PCBs were being made. I've just returned today and see that all parts have been delivered, so now the fun of assembly and testing can begin! The first of the completed boards should be shipping in another week or so.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 09/06/2007 21:27

Any installation pics?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 10/06/2007 01:06

Nah, most of us are buying them just in case we need them in the future. Maybe.

I can't wait to see LittleBlueThing's XKR install. Then I can duplicate it years from now when I hopefully get my own.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 10/06/2007 11:53

Quote:
I can't wait to see LittleBlueThing's XKR install.

Nor can I <grin>

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 11/06/2007 19:39

Hey LittleBlueThing - you don't have yours installed yet? Maybe you should send me a template of your dash and I'll work on it. I always get other people's projects finished.

In the meantime, I have flooring to finish that I started a year ago, a driveway gate that hasn't gotten very far, repainting the bed on my classic truck for a show that's coming up, I can't find half my tools because my garage is organized in piles based on previous projects, the cocktail gaming table I built Xmas 2005 still only has controls on one side, I started landscaping with a chainsaw two weekends ago - and uh, that's not looking so good. But a faceplate project, now there's an excuse to buy a new tool I won't be able to find in a few months!

A friend of mine is the same as me. Great at starting projects. So, we've started a new work exchange. We each help finish the last 15% of each other's projects.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 11/06/2007 20:23

Nah, I'm waiting on maczrool's 2nd batch - but there's stirrings in that workshop

I'm waiting to get the real thing to see where to install it - I'd love for you to help but I'm in the UK so it may not be so easy...

I am toying with a roof mount inside the headlining but I can't really decide until it's in my hands...

However your projects sure sound like mine!!!
Yesterday I finally grouted the slate floor I laid last christmas...
I've also started a rumour that 'au naturel' is the 'in thing' for gardens. And anyway the cats like 3' high lawns...

(very sad though, we had to put Minka, our 19 year old cat, to sleep tonight - going to miss him a *lot*)

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 12/06/2007 03:46

Quote:
(very sad though, we had to put Minka, our 19 year old cat, to sleep tonight - going to miss him a *lot*)
:( My most heartfelt condolences...

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 12/06/2007 04:44

I'm thinking I should start a Web site called "last10percent" where guys can trade off on the last 10 percent of their projects. When you're just doing the grout on someone else's tile job - no big deal. After all, you've made the million trips to the hardware store, pulled the old floor up, laid the new subfloor, put on the leveling compound, set the tile - by this time you're sick of the project. I've found that trading the last 10 percent of big jobs with friends works really well and makes the wife happy.

I know you're in the UK. I'm also an optimist and think cardboard templates sent in the mail might actually work. In the real world, you kind of need to have the car.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I had to take my 16 year old cat in not long ago.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 19/06/2007 00:43

That's a brilliant idea! There'll be no shortage of work since I have about 30,000%'s lying about. I love to "get it done", just not with projects that drag on for years.

It's like "Freecycle" meets "Pay It Forward".

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 01:44

Just an update here. The majority of the extenders from the second batch have now been shipped. We still have 5 PCBs laying around and unclaimed though.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 05:22

Quote:
Just an update here. The majority of the extenders from the second batch have now been shipped. We still have 5 PCBs laying around and unclaimed though.

Stu

Err......

YEEEHAAAAA!!

(That's right isn't it ? )

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 11:27

Quote:
Err......

YEEEHAAAAA!!

(That's right isn't it ? )

Yes yours was sent. Everyone whose boards were shipped should have received or be receiving a notice in their e-mail.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 11:37

Yep - mine appears to be in ELLENDALE at the moment....

Hmm, how come UPS et al can't do a real-time link to Google maps?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 14:36

Ellendale is the location of our local post office. The status will probably not change until it is delivered unfortunately. . USPS is actually much worse about tracking than UPS and other private shippers as far as tracking goes because they do not control carriers outside of the US. Weird thing is that even inside the US, USPS tracking is very lacking in detail.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 14:43

In the UK I've had parcels delivered before the post office tracking even acknowledges a parcel exists!!
(which sounds good until you realise you have to be at home to sign for it!)

Anyhow I'm now dreading starting the install...

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 18:51

Quote:

Everyone whose boards were shipped should have received or be receiving a notice in their e-mail.

Just to clarify, do you mean that you have sent emails to everyone or that you are still in the process of sending them ?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/06/2007 19:19

I've instructed the postal system to notify each recipient. I gather that you have not received an e-mail notice? Yours was amongst those shipped yesterday.

To be sure I will e-mail everyone later today since USPS seems to be unreliable in their e-mail delivery.

Also, I've thrown together a crude manual describing how to properly connect everything up. A print out is or will be included with each board and will also be available online at:
http://www.eutronix.com/media/xtdr.pdf

Enjoy,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 01/07/2007 02:21

great news, i received my extender on thurs. all looks well and i might get to test it over this weekend.

thanks stu, the boards look great. i'm so glad there are people like you still around to keep the empeg going!

Re: We Have Lights! - 05/07/2007 18:58

Quote:
The dispaly does work when connected directly to the device.

I was going to get a light set for this critter anyway. I'd be happy to send the whole rig in for that and pay for the repair or the undoing of my hamfisted install job.

I have his extender and Empeg here and found the problem. It seems the 3 volt fuse blew at some point. The display will work without it, but not completely or normally as certain components in the display such as the IR require 3 volts. The extenders need 3 volts for operation at all so this was the problem.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/07/2007 04:28

Mine arrived 2 days ago as well - nicely packed box with lots of anti-shock material. Unfortunately no spare time at the moment to install, will have to wait one or two months.... Stu, thanks for the effort.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/07/2007 06:32

Quote:
Also, I've thrown together a crude manual describing how to properly connect everything up. A print out is or will be included with each board and will also be available online at:
http://www.eutronix.com/media/xtdr.pdf

Stu, thank you again for all your great work on this project.

Also, I wanted to point out that this link to the manual isn't presently working.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/07/2007 06:59

Quote:
Stu, thank you again for all your great work on this project.

You're quite welcome.

Quote:
Also, I wanted to point out that this link to the manual isn't presently working.

Yes, unfortunately some recent security patches have broken the server and it is taking longer than expected to resurrect everything. Hopefully we will be back online shortly.

I'll post to let everyone know when it's back.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 07/07/2007 06:35

Has anyone in the UK received a delivery from the latest batch yet ?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 07/07/2007 11:22

Hi Andy,

Did you ever receive a tracking number? I can PM it to you if you like. As near as I can tell no one from the UK has received their extenders. There were only two of you thus far anyway though. Yours supposedly arrived in the UK on July 5th, so hopefully you see it soon.

Hope this helps,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 07/07/2007 13:15

No, mines not arrived yet either...

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 08/07/2007 21:08

No I never did get my tracking number, but to be honest it could easily have been lost in a mass or spam (or filtered out by a spam filter).

Spooky... - 09/07/2007 05:45

I'm suspecting quantum entanglement or something....

My display is apparently still in Ellendale *AND* at my local sorting office awaiting pickup (and money-grabbing customs duty - ugh!)

Funny, I'd have thought teleportation would have been quicker....

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 09/07/2007 12:41

Quote:
I wanted to point out that this link to the manual isn't presently working.

It should be now.

Stu

Re: Spooky... - 13/07/2007 05:40

I had my letter yesterday from Parcel Force asking for my customs payment, so its nearly here...

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 14/07/2007 02:00

Quote:
Quote:
I wanted to point out that this link to the manual isn't presently working.

It should be now.

*snarf*

Re: Spooky... - 19/07/2007 23:41

Parcel Force gladly delayed and returned an expensive package I sent to the UK recently. I'm a little sore about the headaches they're causing me.

My extender came in maybe a week ago. Still have yet to take it out of the box. Considering I won't need it until 2011, I'm not too rushed.

Thanks again.

Re: Spooky... - 20/07/2007 05:56

I should say then that Parcel Force managed to deliver my extended intact, though for some reason that I don't understand they left it with a neighbour four doors away.

Re: Spooky... - 22/07/2007 18:24

Maybe your neighbor paid the duty.

Re: Spooky... - 17/08/2007 12:52

Nope, I paid the duty online before they would release it for delivery.
Posted by: tman

Re: Spooky... - 17/08/2007 13:13

I've been at home before when the postman came knocking on the door to find somebody nearby to take a parcel. He really must not have wanted to lug it back with him as it was supposed to be for a house half way down the street.
Posted by: rmitz

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/08/2007 15:20

I'm in for one of the remainder, assuming they're still available...

--Roman

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/08/2007 15:48

Quote:
'm in for one of the remainder, assuming they're still available...

I need to locate the remaining five PCBs. They've gone missing! Either they are here in a black hole somewhere or were inadvertently shipped to someone with their extender order. I've attempted to contact those who might have received them by mistake, but no luck. I'll keep looking.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 29/08/2007 15:29

Okay. Good news! I found them. I have enough PCBs to build 5 more sets. I've had requests for two including yours. Does anyone else want one either complete boards or PCBs?

If you would like one, please PM me.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 29/08/2007 15:38

Where were they?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 29/08/2007 15:50

Up on a high shelf on top of a bunch of color toner cartridges of course ! Funny I always thought I had put the PCBs with the rest of the project parts. They actually fell on top of me as I pulled the boxes out. Anyway, all is well now.

Stu
Posted by: goferone

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 18/09/2007 20:21

Posted by: Charles Beer

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 05/11/2007 07:46

any chance of these being produced again? I been away from the bbs for awhile. Missed out on ordering 1.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/11/2007 01:06

If people will PM me with their interest and the list climbs to 15, we can do another run. Sorry I've been away for a while too,

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 23/03/2008 00:31

Because of the building interest of another run of extenders, I am now officially taking orders for a third and most likely final run. If you would like to get one, please PM me. As the interest grows your name will be added to the list in this thread as we have done in the past. Once we hit 15 sets, you will be contacted with payment information. The cost for an assembled set with 20 feet of cable will now be $288 plus shipping - sorry, but prices of everything have gone up since the last run!

So far we have:
1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 10/04/2008 01:45

Here is the updated list of interested parties:

1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 14/04/2008 10:38

cmon didn't anyone else want one?

we still need 12 more people to get the ball rolling here.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 14/04/2008 15:25

Originally Posted By: Charles Beer
cmon didn't anyone else want one?

Want, yes. Have funds to pay for, no. frown

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 14/04/2008 17:13

Count me in for one.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 19/04/2008 23:41

Quote:
Count me in for one.

1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1

By the way, if anyone would prefer, they can order bare PCBs at $40 per set. 15 of those or a combination of them and complete sets will allow us to proceed.

Thanks,
Stu
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 20/04/2008 15:53

I'm definitely up for a PCB set but I'd like to keep the option open (fund permitting at the time) to 'upgrade' to a ready built extender if that's okay

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 21/04/2008 01:46

Quote:
I'm definitely up for a PCB set but I'd like to keep the option open (fund permitting at the time) to 'upgrade' to a ready built extender if that's okay

It's not a problem at all. The PCBs are the limiting factor here anyway.

1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
5. AndrewT - 1 (PCBs only)

Thanks,
Stu

Posted by: newguy1

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 26/04/2008 00:26

Stu,What else is required if one were to just buy the PCB board?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 28/04/2008 00:20

Quote:
Stu,What else is required if one were to just buy the PCB board?

Well, it would require quite a few passive components, RS-432 drivers, and various connectors and cables. It's all off the shelf stuff although some of it is easier to acquire than others.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 24/05/2008 00:35

1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1

Thanks,
Stu

Posted by: elperepat

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 24/05/2008 00:58

OK, I'll take one too. I'll be changing car soon and don't know how the full empeg would fit.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 24/05/2008 10:32

1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
7. elperepat - 1

Getting closer!

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/05/2008 17:01

Why not buy a spare just so others can have their first? count me in.

(oh, thank you mr. bush for the extra $600 that i will be spending on empeg bits and beer. that's going to help the economy!)

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/05/2008 19:13

Shoot...sign me up for some bare PCB's. If I ever want to do this, then at least I'd have the option. If not, I'm only out $40.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 27/05/2008 21:34

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Shoot...sign me up for some bare PCB's. If I ever want to do this, then at least I'd have the option. If not, I'm only out $40.

Oh, that's a good idea. Stu, could you please convert my request to 2 bare PCBs sets instead of 1 complete kit.

Thanks!

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 28/05/2008 00:41

1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
7. elperepat - 2 (PCBs only)
8. thirdeyevision - 1
9. JBjorgen - 1 (PCBs only)

I think that's everybody.

Thanks,
Stu
Posted by: Mitsu7374

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/06/2008 22:49

I don't post often. Lurked forever but can you add me to the list for one. Thanks!

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 07/06/2008 11:31

1. Charles Beer - 1
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
8. thirdeyevision - 1
10. Mitsu7374 - 1

By my count we're at 11.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 03/08/2008 14:18

add me in for a set of pcbs as well as the full kit n kaboodle.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/08/2008 02:21

1. Charles Beer - 1, 1 (PCBs only)
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
8. thirdeyevision - 1
10. Mitsu7374 - 1

And that makes 12. Thanks.

Stu
Posted by: tman

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/08/2008 15:39

Charles Beer is on there twice?
Posted by: Boelle

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/08/2008 15:55

what's the price without the 20 feet of cable?
but put me in for a full kit...
could it be an option to solder it myself? or would it not make any differnce in price?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/08/2008 17:35

Quote:
Charles Beer is on there twice?

Yes, sorry for the oversight. List updated.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/08/2008 17:36

sorry for asking stupid... but yes to what?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/08/2008 17:45

Quote:
what's the price without the 20 feet of cable?
but put me in for a full kit...
could it be an option to solder it myself? or would it not make any differnce in price?

Without the 20 foot cable (includes two DB-25 connectors) you can save $30. If you wish to solder the boards yourself you can
save an additional $45.

Hope this helps,

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 05/08/2008 03:15

Hi Stu,

If you have another extender setup, I would like to place another order (preferably, without the ribbon cable).

Thanks, Sean

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 05/08/2008 05:34

Put me on the list for one that i solder myself but with the cable

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 05/08/2008 11:32

2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
8. thirdeyevision - 1
10. Mitsu7374 - 1
11. Boelle - 1 (unsoldered)
12. caseyse - 1 (no cables)

And that makes 14. One more to go!

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/08/2008 12:56

Stu,

Just curious but how long will it take for these to be completed. I'm tempted to buy 1 more set of pcbs to get this ball rolling.....

-Charles

Originally Posted By: maczrool
2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
8. thirdeyevision - 1
10. Mitsu7374 - 1

And that makes 14. One more to go!

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/08/2008 15:18

Quote:
Just curious but how long will it take for these to be completed.

Hey Charles,

It takes about 4 weeks for the PCBs to get made. From there it takes another day or so to get about 4 made up and shipped out.

Hope that answers your question.

Stu
Posted by: kjohanss

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 12/08/2008 11:08

I did a search for how to add wi-fi in my car, and some how I ended up reading this post. What a cool product! I want one, I yelled out! Then I realized I actually ordered one in october 2007 wink

Stu: Do you have an updated price for a complete set? $288 + shipping, is it?

And come on - one more and we are GO! Somebody?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 12/08/2008 12:55

Quote:
Do you have an updated price for a complete set? $288 + shipping, is it?

That is correct.

Stu
Posted by: brax

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 25/08/2008 12:54

You guys still looking for 1 more person on this? If so count me in for the bare PCB's only. Do not really have a need for an extender in my current setup, but you never know..........

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 26/08/2008 21:28

Quote:
You guys still looking for 1 more person on this? If so count me in for the bare PCB's only. Do not really have a need for an extender in my current setup, but you never know..........

Yeah we needed at least one more to get to the 15 sets. Yours makes 15. So now we can get this last run underway! I'll start sending out PMs with payment instructions to folks.

Thanks,
Stu

2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
8. thirdeyevision - 1
10. Mitsu7374 - 1
13. brax - 1 (PCBs only)

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/09/2008 12:40

As of today, everyone on the list should have been contacted by PM or e-mail. If you want one and did not receive a PM or e-mail, please PM me indicating what you want and where it will be shipped.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 09/09/2008 12:06

i just had an unforseen bill in the mail so i cant no longer be on this one :-(

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 09/09/2008 13:28

That's not a nice thing to do to Stu.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 09/09/2008 16:41

Quote:
That's not a nice thing to do to Stu.

It's no big deal. I haven't ordered anything yet anyway. I'll likely order a couple extra boards and rarer parts in case a couple folks want one later on.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 10/09/2008 11:20

Here's the updated list until I hear otherwise:

2. smu - 1
3. kjohanss - 1
4. tfabris - 1
6. jimhogan - 1
8. thirdeyevision - 1
10. Mitsu7374 - 1
11. caseyse - 1 (no cables)
12. brax - 1 (PCBs only)
13. ad13 - 1

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 10/09/2008 16:43

Originally Posted By: maczrool
I'll likely order a couple extra boards and rarer parts in case a couple folks want one later on.
I like the sound of that -- I'd love to order one, just in case, but I'd also like a spare empeg, too, and at the moment, I can justify neither. frown
Posted by: FieroSTi

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 01/10/2008 18:48

If available, can I get two sets of bare PCBs? Is the price still ~$35 a set for boards?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 01/10/2008 23:53

Yes, but please PM me with shipping location. I plan to order these over the weekend so I will need to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/10/2008 02:36

One issue...the filter beads, part #80-BK2125LL560TK from Mouser is obsolete, and thus cannot be ordered. Instead, order part #80-Z0805C560CSMST. Same thing, as per Mouser.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 06/10/2008 02:57

...also, where can one find the RS232 filters, other than Patrick? Mouser and Digikey seem to be of no help. I was able to find them on Newark.com, so I suppose I can order from them if necessary. Seems a minimum order of 5 at ~$4 each plus a $20 handling fee does not make them cheap.

Other than the RS232 filters, my totals for all of the bits for (2) boards at Digikey and Mouser, were $129.20 and $83.53, respectively. So if you do it yourself, you can pretty much have two sets extenders for just slightly over $300. Not bad, considering.
Posted by: Cris

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 08/11/2008 06:42

Stu,

Have you got any kits going spare at the moment ???

I may have the use for one in my new car, haven't fully decided what to do yet, I wanted to check if this option is still open to me first.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 09/11/2008 01:03

Quote:
Have you got any kits going spare at the moment ???

Hi Cris,

You are mostly in luck! I ordered a few extra PCBs and some of the parts. I did not order extra ICs because some of them are quite expensive and I don't wish to carry them in inventory. I can always order more parts to populate the spare PCBs if you or anyone else is interested in the spares. Just PM me if you would like one.

Stu
Posted by: bbowman

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 02/11/2009 18:44

I just dicovered this thread and read the entire thing with anticipation to see what would happen at the end. I guess I kind of missed the boat on this one, eh? Anyone out there with a spare they want to sell me? Stu?

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/11/2009 15:16

There was recently someone in the For Sale forum that was selling one. Looks like it might still be available:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/321048
Posted by: bbowman

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 04/11/2009 18:12

Thanks Canuck, I didn't think to look there. wink

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 07/11/2009 11:19

I've got a couple left if anyone is interested.

Stu
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 09/03/2013 13:41

Is there any way to get one of these now? Looks like this might be my only install option now. I've been using Empeg for about 12 years and hope to keep on using it. I am pretty good at assembling boards if there is an empty one or if that was an option. Thanks!

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 08/09/2013 17:21

I still have a couple unpopulated PCBs that I can sell you or build up a kit for you. PM me if interested.

Stu

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 01/04/2014 17:37

Hello all!

I remember buying the boards as if it was yesterday! Time flies!

I now want to populate the bare boards. I did find the parts list, but is there a schematic somewhere? I found about the r2 file but I wanted to skip installing a new software. Are the files available as images (PNG?) anywhere? I also found out about maczrool's document, but I think I remember a zip file with all the useful informations packed together. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Thanks!

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 01/08/2017 02:41

Replying to myself, a few years later.

I'm buying a new car tomorrow and probably will need the extender. So I finally took some time and installed the software to read the r2 file.

Here are the schematics, top and bottom PCB layer, Silk and a few more layers all converted to PDF.

I'm going to make myself a 3d printed case for the display. I'll post the file here when it's done.

Re: Display Extender install pics? - 01/08/2017 06:30

I might be interested in paying you to make two of those 3D printed cases, depending on the details of it.

I'm messing around with ideas to have my extended display mounted in the place where my storage cubby in my center console is. There's no easy drop-in solution, so I'm thinking about 3D printing something. Talk more about what you'll be doing, post the plans, eh?