Remote control

Posted by: muzza

Remote control - 03/11/2001 14:21

I'd like a remote control based on the computer.
Not a cheesy thing that looks like the car IR remote but a proper remote, available as a separate program, so I can select a player, its playlists and most functions without running emplode.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Remote control - 03/11/2001 14:34

You can actually use Emplode for some of that stuff. Notice it has three "play" buttons?
Posted by: synergy

Re: Remote control - 03/11/2001 14:40

In reply to:

I'd like a remote control based on the computer.
Not a cheesy thing that looks like the car IR remote but a proper remote, available as a separate program, so I can select a player, its playlists and most functions without running emplode.

You can actually use Emplode for some of that stuff. Notice it has three "play" buttons?

You will note that he wanted a second program... not emplode.

I tend to agree. emplode is just a tad too powerful (and in the existing beta, too unstable) to just leave running.

A seperate remote on your PC COULD be left running, without worrying about alt-tabbing once too many times and hitting delete by accident.

Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Remote control - 03/11/2001 15:43

Displayserver anyone it works reasonably well but just does the front buttons i think frank was talking about adding a fully clickable remote to 2.0
Posted by: muzza

Re: Remote control - 04/11/2001 00:16

Emplode is OK but I don't always want to have to run it just to control the player.
Simple things like play & pause etc plus change visual, display info, electocute colleguein next cubicle etc would be better.
I thought about having things like search functions but you may as well run emplode for that.

Re: Remote control - 04/11/2001 00:42

Simple things like play & pause etc plus change visual, display info, electocute colleguein next cubicle etc would be better.

Ah, that's easy. You just send it a few serial commands. They are documented at the riocar.org site in the developer section. Someone even wrote a little VB applet with play/pause/electrocute etc. buttons, I just don't remember who it was and where to get it.
Posted by: beaker

Re: Remote control - 04/11/2001 09:58

I did knock something up. A link to it is in this post.

Re: Remote control - 04/11/2001 10:04

Hey, Beaker, I sent you a private message here on the BBS and haven't seen a reply. Do you have a little blinking enveloper in your menu bar?
Posted by: beaker

Re: Remote control - 04/11/2001 10:55

Hi Tony, sorry I didn't spot it earlier. You should have your reply now
Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: Remote control - 05/11/2001 15:57

Dooes anybody have anything where I can remote control it via Ethernet, as I keep my Riocar downstairs while I work upstairs.

Also how do I get hold of DisplayServer 2.0 and what is it going to do for me ? I'm a new boy remember

Re: Remote control - 05/11/2001 16:06

It's funny how you answer your first question with your next question.

(Displayserver will remote control your empeg over ethernet.)

It can be found at http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/.

Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: Remote control - 05/11/2001 16:08

2b2 presumably ?