I wonder if there's a class action suit in here somewhere...

Probably not. But there IS pretty effective action you can take.

Write a letter to one of the administrators of the hospital. The letter would be something like this:

"I have an outstanding bill with your hospital that has not been paid because of incompetence by your accounts receivable department.

"It has come to my attention that this bill has now been turned over to a collection agency.

"Please be aware that if my excellent credit standing is damaged in any way as a result of your ill advised and precipitous action, I will hold Cedars Hospital civilly liable.

"I would appreciate it if you or one of your staff could call me at (213) 555-1234 within the next 48 hours to resolve this matter, after that it will be in the hands of my attorney.

Sincerely,

Mr. Canuck

cc: Fuku Sumi, Attorney at Law"

Then, go to your bank and try to take out a mortgage loan or business loan or other large amount, making sure that the loan is denied because of the bad credit report caused by the collection agency.

How far you want to take things after that (whether to just resolve the bill, or go ahead and sue for damages) is up to you.

tanstaafl.