modern VW dimmer wires are pulse width modulated 12V, not analog. According to my yummy new oscilloscope, the frequency is 83Hz, and the positive pulse varies between 15% (min brightness) and 95% (max brightness)

Yeah, had figured about that, considering the way the dimmer on the empeg was behaving (rather erratically)... Still have to get around to get a proper signal (if possible, considering the DRLs) from the light switch assembly to use as the dimmer signal instead of the interior light one.

RadioShack over here now sell 5mm LEDs that match VW blue perfectly. The wavelength is 430nm

These?
430nm sounds about right, the ones I have currently are 470nm, and they're clearer blue than "VW blue", so a bit more violet seems correct... Pity they're only 300mCd - the ones I use now are about 3500mCd (5mm). Hmmm, looks like a local company, ELFA, has both 3 and 5 mm versions - 3 mm is 350mCd at 10° angle and the 5 mm is 1000 mCd at 20°. Looks like I've got no excuse to not take a look, they're even somewhat cheaper than RS... Thanks for the tip!

/Michael
PS Let me know if you're interested in some 3mm ones.