Nice to read everything worked out pretty well. Have you got any pics of the mods you did ?
I took a picture just now and attached it. It's not spectactular, just shows the holes I drilled in the drive cover plate, and you can faintly see the outline of the fan behind it. At the bottom are the "arcs" where I cut openings from the inside for the lower fan.

A fan that spins vibrates and these vibrations are enhanced through the metal of the case. You can keep this from happening by glueing some rubber on the case and then screwing the fan onto that.
I thought about that, but both of my mounting locations didn't have much clearance. For instance, in the photo, that upper fan is an entire solid hot-glued assembly consisting of the fan and the two cover plates. And the fan nearly touches the disk drives mounted behind it. and I can't move the disk drives any farther back because the RAM chips interfere. The IDE connector of the lower disk drive just barely brushes the second RAM chip.

Actually, if I'd left the RAM chips where they originally were, I could have moved the drive back farther, but then I got the helpful information in another thread about putting the ram in the proper bank arrangement to get the dual-mode speed out of it.

Attachments
175343-casemod.jpg (132 downloads)