Great idea!!! I don't know if it's possible (WET11 scans for open WLANs?)

I've got a growing list of things that empeg + WLAN + GPS could do:

- EmpegFIDSwap (empeg's exchange FIDs when they come into proximity. think automated rsync. Empeg meet anyone!!!)
- Fastest Route monitoring (based on historical map of where you've driven. Is is really faster to go this way or that way. Upload to Orkut/Friendster rated routing system to get 'best directions' instead of relying on automated route finding.)
- EmpegRALLY mode (full rally nav voice "hard right ahead" (you know - just like the video games), speed recommendations, so it will estimate best speed for turn based on previous speeds). Allows you to mark waypoints with GPS nav and empeg displays specific timing info.
- VoIP gateway management (based on open WLAN placement, will let you know where the closest open WLAN is to make/recieve VoIP calls )
- EmpegIM ( Yahoo, MSN, etc Instant Messanger gateway) Interface with Empeg remote (w/ word autocomplete) or bluetooth device. See status of online friends. Send a "Meet me here" message that will give GPS coordinates in a yahoo maps URL, so people can find your car.

EMPEG + OBD II:
- Engine performance history - offline analysed for performance enhancements
- Compare performance from different fuel sources (i get the feeling that some stations have poor quality gas, as the formula for calulating octane is often tied to the oil refineries, i want to be able to find out which stations have good gas and which ones formulate their fuels poorly).
- Adjust fuel-maps based on fuel seasonality/source (based on above feature)